No Oppo Supporters The TAN 76 - No toilet paper hoarders allowed

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
She’ll be right mate, let’s build another football stadium

Oz we have something like 2000 ICU beds for a population of 25 million but yet we govt/s spend

Billions on subs that don’t work or are even needed
Millions on sports rorts
Millions paying ex pms who don’t even ******* work anymore
Millions on a plane for the pm
Millions on some ******* statue
Millions on sports grounds

But yet our ******* dumb arse govts both state and federal can’t spend money on important things that will save lives

Oz we have something like 2000 ICU beds for a population of 25 million but yet we govt/s spend

Millions on sports rorts

But yet our ******* dumb arse govts both state and federal can’t spend money on important things that will save lives
And the idiot up here wants the olympics, and a third , yes a third AFL stadium in the Brisbane to Gold Coast corridor

it's really sad hearing about the deaths in the cancer :(
It must be stressful for the medical staff being tested, because they don't know whether or not they have carried the virus into the hospital and effectively led to the deaths.

Manly Beach Crowded This Morning

Surely this isn't true.
Are Sydney beaches our wet markets?
That's actually ****ed.
Beaches south of the harbour like Bondi, Coogee, Maroubra and Cronulla are actually shut whereas Nth Side including Manly appear to still be open although the old 1.5M and no more than 2 people together seems to be the rule.

Was a nice morning here - hundreds of 'work at home' punters and ex-pats obviously choosing to get their daily exercise.
Meanwhile I'm locked up at home here in 'the burbs' like a hermit.

Market forces at work there...
If they canna survive without their wage theft and tax write offs low wages no loading rates then they'll go the way of the dinosaurs and leave room for the other entrepreneurs to come forward...
interesting theory but i think adam smiths legacy is safe

I'm not surprised you "don't have time" to defend being caught red-handed - again.

At least you give us a chuckle with your endless contradictions while you flood the board with waffle from at least three different accounts.

You've even started 'liking' the posts of your alter-ego's. Now that's what I call upping your game!

With the amount of money we poured into keeping foreign automotive corporations here, we could have gone a long way to subsidising our own automotive manufacturing industry and built cars Australian's actually want to buy. Holden lost loyalty because they weren't Australian anymore as much as anything (though there were plenty of other issues which also came from being controlled by a clueless US corporation).

The argument is made that our market is too small and too isolated to be cost effective, I'd argue that no isolated nation with a landmass as huge as ours can afford to be reliant on imports and the goodwill of foreign corporations for something as basic as transport.

If you nationalise the whole shebang - or just use a cooperative arrangement rather than a corporate one which is forced to provide constant dividends to investors - and don't limit manufacturing to solely cars, but include buses, trucks, military vehicles etc. then there's plenty of market for Australian manufacturing, not to mention scope for exporting - particularly on the heavy transport and military side of things.

You start fixing an economy like ours by strictly limiting foreign investment to only genuine partnership arrangements (as opposed to exploitation of our resources and zero profits staying here), then identifying where we leak enormous amounts of money to overseas corporations, plugging those holes and making sure the people know exactly who and what they're supporting with their purchasing choices.
Agree.Holden lost the plot years ago.

A church near where I live in South Melbourne provides thousands of free meals to the homeless each year.
People with mental health issues who don't even register for Centrelink welfare.
And your point is?
Its been suggested in the past that were organised religions taxed the same as other corporations that we could reduce private income tax to almost zero.

Tax all charities at 5% i say

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Millions on sports rorts

We are still better off than most in the USA. A lot there have health insurance with their jobs. Now they are unemployed they have no insurance. Seems like a stupid system.

Some homeless people don't have any money.
Some don't register for Centrelink benefits.
Period.
If they tax charities like Vinnies, Smith Family, Wayside Chapel, Salvos then they have to start charging for the meals, labour, etc.
That's the point I was making.
Homelessness is a major issue as housing prices skyrocket.

Last edited:
I strongly doubt they'll raise the GST. It would completely undermine the point of all these stimulus measures. The government doesn't need to raise taxes to 'pay' for these measures - it literally can create money from nothing.
And chicks for free.

We're lucky that interest rates are virtually at zero.
Some of the Scandinavian countries had negative interest rates.

holden pfft. They were happy to take the taxpayer money at the last bailout, bunch of thieving campaigners

The day General Motors fully took over it was never going to end well. They fleeced us just as thoroughly as Toyota has.

I worked in the auto industry and then did research on it's competitiveness. Basically the reason the Australian auto industry died was that a concerted campaign by the Federal Treasury, economic commentators, politicians, the Productivity Commission, think tanks etc killed them after a decades long fight (from the 1960s onwards). When you dig into it it's amazing the hypocrisy of the Productivity Commission etc on mining and resource extraction vs manufacturing. Any support for manufacturing is EVIL. Any support for resources industry is GOOD. Very weird and I don't really get why. But killing auto was an ideological decision.

Cheers mate, that's a perspective I wasn't aware of. I knew there was a campaign, but it began before my time and I wasn't fully aware of all the actors involved.

I guess with mining it was far easier to control the workforce back in the day (especially when you give them all shares as part wages and tie their property values to the continuation of the mine!) than it was in manufacturing, which was traditionally more heavily and effectively unionised. Also, you can have off-shore manufacturing, but it's not possible to off-shore a mining workforce...only all the profits.

Australia has an economy that is as complex as a developing country's, but the economic status of developed. https://oec.world/en/rankings/country/eci/
We sit between Kazakhstan and Lebanon. No joking.

LOL...no surprise unfortunately.

Same issue with universities, now dependent on foreign students for funding, Chinese donors.
CCP donor funded the Frank Gehry building at UTS in Sydney.
CCP monitors Chinese students in Australia in case of so-called subversive political activity against the Motherland.
One Chinese-Australian academic received death threats in Australia, received AFP protection.

Last edited:
Some homeless people don't have any money.
Some don't register for Centrelink benefits.
Period.
If they tax charities like Vinnies, Smith Family, Wayside Chapel, Salvos then they have to start charging for the meals, labour, etc.
That's the point I was making.
Homelessness is a major issue as housing prices skyrocket.
The land tax on the catholic church alone would put that much money into government coffers that the homeless would actually have a chance of getting the support they need.
Mostly its mental health

What i really love is all the whinging.
I mean it's obviously going to make things better. Its definitely going to make the lockdown shorter and the economic recovery quicker. Isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back