No Oppo Supporters The TAN 77 - Where Social Distancing is encouraged

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why should i research?
I lived through the 70's as a teen.
No way in hell would i be any of the above i mentioned nowdays.

No, but what you don’t realise is that your elders were saying the same thing about your Gen when you were young.

Teens haven’t gotten worse, social media has just made them look worse. Plus people realise there’s no purpose to forcing blind obedience

We did pretty well back then.

Not a single arrest or punch thrown.

Ummm.... okay

Sam Watson didn’t expect to be here again, protesting for the right to protest peacefully in Queensland, where street demonstrations were once made illegal and brutally suppressed.
“There was this terrible, almost overwhelming terror that we were going to be bashed by the police, and we were,” remembers Watson, an Indigenous Australian activist who marched out of King George Square and into a bank of uniformed police, five men deep, in Brisbane in October 1977.
“It was a very different environment, the degree of brutality and this terrible feeling of absolute fear. Everything has changed, but then nothing has changed at all.”

FORMER Queensland premier Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen brokered secret deals with police in the lead up to the controversial Springboks tour of Brisbane more than 40 years ago, according to a new book.
Fearing riots and public violence, Bjelke-Petersen told the powerful Queensland Police Union that officers would "not be penalised for any action they take to suppress" the demonstrators during the tour in July 1971.

In exchange for their loyalty, Bjelke-Petersen guaranteed a pay rise for officers, a claim for which was then before the Industrial Court. He also promised police a superannuation fund.”

People are looking at the situation through the eyes of people that have grown up in relatively well adjusted households that have received decent schooling opportunities

Maybe try looking it through the eyes of someone who has grown up being written off by anyone in a position of authority, unstable households, told to believe their worth as a human is less than everyone else because of the colour of their skin and where they were born and all previous interactions with law informant probably being negative ones.

Now you expect them to treat people in positions of authority with respect when not once in their entire life they have been treated with respect themselves
Dont get me wrong, this is a very valid post, however, I do challenge the last sentence and the bolded portion of your middle statement.

I grew up in and around some average at best family situations. Granted, my parent provided a relatively stable household for us, it doesn't mean you dont understand nor experience people worse off than you.

Firstly, in my experience, no one grows up being written off by authority, be it school teachers, police, footy coaches etc... continual negative behaviour certainly does cause people to form an opinion, usually negative, and therefore erase grounds of compassion, empathy or understanding (become written off), but it's very rarely the start point (unless someone holds an grudge, in your case based on race).

And my challenge to the last point is why I disagree... When do two wrongs make a right, who takes ownership of existing behaviour and future behaviour (because you can't change past behaviour).

I 100% expect ANYONE to show respect to local law enforcement, it's their role in society. The reality is, if you don't do the wrong thing, you should have no issues in interacting with police.

If you think people, who have come from underprivileged backgrounds shouldn't have to show respect, then where does the cycle stop? They then show that to their children and so on, a never ending cycle... That may be a reason, but it is not an EXCUSE...

At some stage, someone has to stand up and call out unacceptable behaviour, and correct it... otherwise, anyone who is accepting of people growing up and showing no respect, is basically an enabler and a bigger part of the problem, rather than the cure...

Is this has ZERO to do with skin colour, this could be white, black, orange whatever, if you give a pass mark to someone acting poorly, and you give them the excuse of, well it's not their fault, how will it ever get better???

And instead of blaming authority figures, but the blame straight back where it belongs... and thats on the parents or caregivers who bring up these kids with the opinion the police are bad, they dont have to respect anyone or anything... THATS the problem.

We are now so comfortable in providing people with excuses rather than fixing route causes.

Dont get me wrong, this is a very valid post, however, I do challenge the last sentence and the bolded portion of your middle statement.

I grew up in and around some average at best family situations. Granted, my parent provided a relatively stable household for us, it doesn't mean you dont understand nor experience people worse off than you.

Firstly, in my experience, no one grows up being written off by authority, be it school teachers, police, footy coaches etc... continual negative behaviour certainly does cause people to form an opinion, usually negative, and therefore erase grounds of compassion, empathy or understanding (become written off), but it's very rarely the start point (unless someone holds an grudge, in your case based on race).

And my challenge to the last point is why I disagree... When do two wrongs make a right, who takes ownership of existing behaviour and future behaviour (because you can't change past behaviour).

I 100% expect ANYONE to show respect to local law enforcement, it's their role in society. The reality is, if you don't do the wrong thing, you should have no issues in interacting with police.

If you think people, who have come from underprivileged backgrounds shouldn't have to show respect, then where does the cycle stop? They then show that to their children and so on, a never ending cycle... That may be a reason, but it is not an EXCUSE...

At some stage, someone has to stand up
I agree 100%

But like you mentioned it’s important to look at why they aren’t showing respect and the reasons are extremely complex with things like

Alcoholism
Family Violence
Addiction
Sexual Assault
Poverty

Just to name a few and scratch the surface

But for a lot of people they refuse to acknowledge this and will simply say and think things like these kids have no respect because they are black or indigenous or whatever they choose to simply label them as.
and for these cycles to be broken these underlying issues are the ones that need to be addressed.

Last edited:
If there's a second wave in Melbourne or Sydney in the next 2 or 3 weeks then the organisers of these pointless protests MUST be held criminally responsible.

EDIT-
Massive backflip from Gladys in NSW, this is going to the supreme court this arvo...

Over to you Chairman Dan...
What if the Police Force experience the brunt of the next CV wave?!? What then?!?

I agree 100%

But like you mentioned it’s important to look at why they aren’t showing respect and the reasons are extremely complex with things like

Alcoholism
Family Violence
Addiction
Sexual Assault
Poverty

Just to name a few and scratch the surface

But for a lot of people they refuse to acknowledge this and will simply say and think things like these kids have no respect because they are black or indigenous or whatever they choose to simply label them as.
and for these cycles to be broken these underlying issues are the ones that need to be addressed.
Yep, spot on...

I'm not saying it's easy, I'm not saying it can be changed quickly, and I'm not saying I have the answer on how to change it either if I'm being honest....

But people have to acknowledge what should and shouldn't be acceptable on a base level.

A kid who wasn't even involved in the initial converse with the police, getting lippy for no reason and telling a cop he would break his jaw, well he deserves to be disciplined. I'm not saying police brutality either, thats not the answer, that just adds to the cycle, but he shouldn't be allowed to get away with that.

Exactly.

I notice SA police commissioner has just given the go ahead which is odd as they've been by far the strictest lockdown state during covid
no they havent....
I lived there for a hile and my friends have been able to do a lot more than Victorians the whole way through COVID...
They may have been a little stricter on boarders, but thats about it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Semi retired these days.
Start to collect music collectibles.
Do you have any really good stuff?
Say first edition Beatles, Doors, CCR?
I remember my family had the Abbey Road cassette (Japanese pressing) and Nowhere Man-Michelle-Baby You Can Drive My Car single.

Semi retired these days.
I remember my family had the Abbey Road cassette (Japanese pressing) and Nowhere Man-Michelle-Baby You Can Drive My Car single.
My father in law gifted me all of his old records there were a few gems

one of note was AC/DC High Voltage LP
I’ve seen the same ones go for around 500

The NSW government has done the right thing.
They have followed the advice of the health authorities.
Then issued a ruling that mass assembly or protest is illegal.
The issue had to be addressed otherwise it would fester out of control.

Last edited:
Ummm.... okay

Sam Watson didn’t expect to be here again, protesting for the right to protest peacefully in Queensland, where street demonstrations were once made illegal and brutally suppressed.
“There was this terrible, almost overwhelming terror that we were going to be bashed by the police, and we were,” remembers Watson, an Indigenous Australian activist who marched out of King George Square and into a bank of uniformed police, five men deep, in Brisbane in October 1977.
“It was a very different environment, the degree of brutality and this terrible feeling of absolute fear. Everything has changed, but then nothing has changed at all.”

FORMER Queensland premier Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen brokered secret deals with police in the lead up to the controversial Springboks tour of Brisbane more than 40 years ago, according to a new book.
Fearing riots and public violence, Bjelke-Petersen told the powerful Queensland Police Union that officers would "not be penalised for any action they take to suppress" the demonstrators during the tour in July 1971.

In exchange for their loyalty, Bjelke-Petersen guaranteed a pay rise for officers, a claim for which was then before the Industrial Court. He also promised police a superannuation fund.”

Queenslanders are an unruly lot though.😁

Semi retired these days.

My mum met the Beatles had all four of there signatures on an album but lost it :(

Also, no one should have to respect someone who doesn’t respect them. 70s logic says that younger people have to respect authority even if they abuse their power, which is rubbish.
Wrong.
You don't show respect to someone as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours.

Year now they threaten with spitting, punching etc , but they are the peaceful generation koombaya
Who has argued that today’s generation is the peaceful one?

Like all protests and organisations a small minority will ruin the entire reputation of the other 99%

Much like a lot of the criticisms police forces are facing atm

The important thing is to recognise this and seperate themselves from these people or remove them from your organisation

Wrong.
You don't show respect to someone as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours.

This is a dangerous attitude to hold.

So kids of abusive parents (extreme example but bare with me) who don’t respect their parents. Is that poor character on their behalf or is it a reflection of the parent?

Unless you mean they should be the better person, in that case I would agree.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back