No Oppo Supporters The TAN 79

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dislike boomers a hell of a lot, but saying they should not be allowed to vote is brutal.:tearsofjoy:

Its up there with my greens mate who reckons all public transport should be free & all artist should receive a government wage. Nice story bro, but we live in the real world.
It wasn’t even that long ago when public transport was free, and it was a massive mistake to change that

We pump just as much money into it anyway it really wouldn’t make a massive difference from a budget prospective and we would have a lot more people using it if it was a free service also reducing congestion and road use

I dislike boomers a hell of a lot, but saying they should not be allowed to vote is brutal.:tearsofjoy:

Its up there with my greens mate who reckons all public transport should be free & all artist should receive a government wage. Nice story bro, but we live in the real world.
Why don’t we line up the boomers in front of a wall then

It wasn’t even that long ago when public transport was free, and it was a massive mistake to change that

We pump just as much money into it anyway it really wouldn’t make a massive difference from a budget prospective and we would have a lot more people using it if it was a free service also reducing congestion and road use

I honestly cant say i can remember public transport ever being free i. Live in Melb for near 30 years and been up here for over a decade. Clearly remember paying for it right through highschool in the 90's up until now. 30 years is in modern society is " Yonks".

The Greens whole policy was that "due to the cost to upgrade the ticketing system" it was about the same to keep it free over a 5 year period. Well, sure - while you are paying off the new assets that is true. The other difference is, that doing upgrades like this actually generate jobs etc which people rely on to feed their families.

I am not an anti-greens person at all, generally my 2nd pref, but some of their policies are pure fantasy stuff. The only country that does it from my knowledge is Luxemborg, who have a population slightly higher than Tasmania. There are many drawbacks to free transport that include loss of income, loss of jobs, slower services, more crime on the networks etc. Making something free does not make something better. I think there could definitely be some positive changes to the system, including amended pricing and annual ticket passes that are valued at 3-4 return trips within your zone a week over 52 weeks etc

I think somewhere like Melb with the trams is about where free public transport works best in the CDB area - it covers a lot of traffic in a 5km area, but on a wider scale its completely flawed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly cant say i can remember public transport ever being free i. Live in Melb for near 30 years and been up here for over a decade. Clearly remember paying for it right through highschool in the 90's up until now. 30 years is in modern society is " Yonks".

The Greens whole policy was that "due to the cost to upgrade the ticketing system" it was about the same to keep it free over a 5 year period. Well, sure - while you are paying off the new assets that is true. The other difference is, that doing upgrades like this actually generate jobs etc which people rely on to feed their families.

I am not an anti-greens person at all, generally my 2nd pref, but some of their policies are pure fantasy stuff. The only country that does it from my knowledge is Luxemborg, who have a population slightly higher than Tasmania. There are many drawbacks to free transport that include loss of income, loss of jobs, slower services, more crime on the networks etc. Making something free does not make something better. I think there could definitely be some positive changes to the system, including amended pricing and annual ticket passes that are valued at 3-4 return trips within your zone a week over 52 weeks etc

I think somewhere like Melb with the trams is about where free public transport works best in the CDB area - it covers a lot of traffic in a 5km area, but on a wider scale its completely flawed

How much debt does Australia have? Plus a trillion dollars?

I don't think giving old ladies and kids a free tram ride is going to break the camel's back

How much debt does Australia have? Plus a trillion dollars?

I don't think giving old ladies and kids a free tram ride is going to break the camel's back

That's not a reason to give free transport. The whole " our debt number is so large whats it matter anyway thing" is the worst reason to do it. Our massive debt is the exact reason we should be not doing it, actually. You don't be Santa Clause when you owe a s**t-tonne of money

Again, i don't have an issue with pensioners getting free buses - not all old ladies, but pensioners on a pension. Do you really want Boomers riding around for free? People earning 150 -250k a year catch the train too, make them pay for the service. And you say kids - most of the time i see the trains full of school kids, its Private school kids where their parents are paying $30-50k a year for it. I'd be OK with Public school kids being given a free ticket pass that is only valid between 7:00-9am & 2:30-4pm on weekdays & only in their zoned area. But giving it free to those private school kids wearing those arrogant snot nosed hats? get stuffed, make their parents pay for it - they can afford it,

Reality is you want to make the service free for a small portion of people who use it. 80% of the people using it can easily afford to pay their own way, so make it free to just the 20%.

Reason that doesn't happen? Because Australians cannot handle someone else getting something free that they have to pay for, even if they are less fortunate. Not all Aussies think like that, but a large majority do unfortunately.

I worked on MYGOV phones for a short time over covid in the Pensioner department & it was gross. The amount of Boomers who had the attitude of. "Oh so i had to work my whole life and now i am penalised from getting free money because i wasn't hopeless and was smart & invested my money..." It was literally 1 out of every 4 calls, with thousands of calls coming through a day.

People don;'t realize this, but old people are the biggest burden on our society, economically wise. By the time most of us get old, most of these systems would have been phased out - it wont be around, so be weary on fighting wars for the elderly of this generation. They have it far far better than the future generations will in regards to pensions, franking credits etc . The oldies that need the help should get it for sure - but a massive number of them are taking the piss & hiding their money by passing on properties to their kids early etc

Last edited:
That's not a reason to give free transport. The whole " our debt number is so large whats it matter anyway thing" is the worst reason to do it. Our massive debt is the exact reason we should be not doing it, actually. You don't be Santa Clause when you owe a s**t-tonne of money

Again, i don't have an issue with pensioners getting free buses - not all old ladies, but pensioners on a pension. Do you really want Boomers riding around for free? People earning 150 -250k a year catch the train too, make them pay for the service. And you say kids - most of the time i see the trains full of school kids, its Private school kids where their parents are paying $30-50k a year for it. I'd be OK with Public school kids being given a free ticket pass that is only valid between 7:00-9am & 2:30-4pm on weekdays & only in their zoned area. But giving it free to those private school kids wearing those arrogant snot nosed hats? get stuffed, make their parents pay for it - they can afford it,

Reality is you want to make the service free for a small portion of people who use it. 80% of the people using it can easily afford to pay their own way, so make it free to just the 20%.

Reason that doesn't happen? Because Australians cannot handle someone getting something free that they have to pay for, even if they are less fortunate. Not all Aussies think like that, but a large majority do unfortunately.
* the pensioners what have they done for this country besides working and paying taxes for 40+ years, give it to the asylum seekers I hear a boat has been intercepted that didn’t take long to restart

duck the pensioners what have they done for this country besides working and paying taxes for 40+ years, give it to the asylum seekers I hear a boat has been intercepted that didn’t take long to restart

mate our pensioners get looked after amazingly compared to future generations. The issue is there are a *ton of pensioners who hide assets and manipulate the system to get free money when they don't need it.

Paying Taxes is not an investment you get back later - its paying your way to live in a society that is free and one of the best in the world.

I am all for more boat people too, we have the room, let them in. Glad we agree with that - the only difference between us and a Syrian refugee is we were lucky enough to be born here & they were unlucky to be born there at the wrong time. Would you seriously rather pay money to some old boomer who has a investment property tied to their kids to cheat the system over a Syrian family escaping war, who saw their father be murdered by terrorist?

There really should be a maximum voting age, boomers have had their shot and wrecked the joint. Once you get to retirement age you should also lose the right to vote.

Time to put all you old blokes in a home and let the younger generations try to fix things before its too late.

Such bitterness 🤣

duck the pensioners what have they done for this country besides working and paying taxes for 40+ years, give it to the asylum seekers I hear a boat has been intercepted that didn’t take long to restart

Threads gone Facebooky.

Such bitterness 🤣
They seem pretty happy to consign their parents and grandparents to the scrap heap.
Anyhow, now that the teals and greens are in charge I’m looking forward to clear skies over Mumbai and Beijing within a decade, Putin to withdraw from Ukraine, a big pay rise, fuel and food prices to plummet and peace on Earth with goodwill to all humankind ❤️🪴

Reason that doesn't happen? Because Australians cannot handle someone else getting something free that they have to pay for, even if they are less fortunate. Not all Aussies think like that, but a large majority do unfortunately.

I worked on MYGOV phones for a short time over covid in the Pensioner department & it was gross. The amount of Boomers who had the attitude of. "Oh so i had to work my whole life and now i am penalised from getting free money because i wasn't hopeless and was smart & invested my money..." It was literally 1 out of every 4 calls, with thousands of calls coming through a day.

People don;'t realize this, but old people are the biggest burden on our society, economically wise. By the time most of us get old, most of these systems would have been phased out - it wont be around, so be weary on fighting wars for the elderly of this generation. They have it far far better than the future generations will in regards to pensions, franking credits etc . The oldies that need the help should get it for sure - but a massive number of them are taking the piss & hiding their money by passing on properties to their kids early etc

It's free in Oslo (Norway) and that seems to work fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back