No Oppo Supporters The TAN 79

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't bear to watch Nadal.
Racks up French Open wins, which require less skill than grass.
Watching him parade around on court, with his geometric approach, is disturbing.
I have two periods of watching the two best players in the world compete at the Grand Slam events.
First was Borg vs McEnroe
Then Federer vs Nadal

Different players all of them but enjoyed their contests immensely. I get your point on the Nadal superstitious quirks though.

I have two periods of watching the two best players in the world compete at the Grand Slam events.
First was Borg vs McEnroe
Then Federer vs Nadal

Different players all of them but enjoyed their contests immensely. I get your point on the Nadal superstitious quirks though.
Rogerrrrr!!!!

Coming up to Australia Day.
Virtually no publicity, no awareness I can see in the media, etc, no knowledge.
America's July 4th, Independence Day, is completely different of course.
A movement of political independence, breaking away from the colony.
Not a perfect society, by any stretch, but one thing about Americans is they do have a superb knowledge of history.

Maybe it is an educational thing.
The Americans are drilled from a very early age on their political history, the early presidents, and so on.
It is interesting that the French president has far more power than a US president.
The French president selects the prime minister.

For many Australians, and certainly for me, Australia Day is just a great day to have to take a day off work. Nothing more, nothing less. Have a BBQ, go surfing, kick back in the pool or beach with family. It has no meaning for me at all except 'freetime enjoyment'. The Yanks love their patriotism. Good for them.
Me .. I enjoy catching a few waves and downing a few ales and enjoying life on a day off away from work

Not a perfect society, by any stretch, but one thing about Americans is they do have a superb knowledge of history.
I have my citizenship ceremony on Wednesday. Surprised it is not all over the national news.

I enjoy Australia day. I have always appreciated the country we live in. So i will play some tunes, crank a barby and just be thankful for the life i have.
Patriotism has nothing to do with it for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And proud of their history, us on the other hand talk about, well you know what we talk about, name changing of towns rivers etc

The Americans have a very deep knowledge of their early political leadership, early presidents.
Presidents are on the currency.
Airports are named after their leaders, like Mayor LaGuardia in New York, Dulles Airport in Washington, D.C.

Last edited:
I guess my point is I came here as a ten pound pom with my family as a child. It never used to be a problem. I went to school in Aus I worked in Aus I have paid god knows how many taxes to Aus. I have always classed myself as Aus. The thing today is it a lot harder to do even the simplest bureaucratic thing if you are not certified Aus. Cost me a bit too. Who knows maybe the bureaucracy wasn't so prevalant in the years I grew up in this country.

The language has changed around it. I think it’s positive to reflect and respect then celebrate.

I guess my point is I came here as a ten pound pom with my family as a child. It never used to be a problem. I went to school in Aus I worked in Aus I have paid god knows how many taxes to Aus. I have always classed myself as Aus. The thing today is it a lot harder to do even the simplest bureaucratic thing if you are not certified Aus. Cost me a bit too. Who knows maybe the bureaucracy wasn't so prevalant in the years I grew up in this country.
better late then never

The Americans do debate Columbus Day, for sure.
So they should.
We have had some great political leaders of yesteryear.
Ben Chifley welcomed migrants after WWII, he established multicultural radio.
John Curtin said no to Britain in wartime, we must ally with the USA.

It's not looking great for the soccer.
The coach Arnold tested poz for the virus.
They must defeat Vietnam on Wednesday night to progress through the World Cup qualifiers.
Australia drew with Saudi Arabia earlier, makes it harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back