Current The Teachers Pet Podcast - Chris Dawson charged with murder

sprockets

Club Legend
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Metic posted this earlier about 3.46 is the filming of the dig in 2000. This was before both the Inquests that determined there was not enough information to prosecute. There was minute amount of DNA from my understanding it was mitochondrial DNA (the type you inherit from your mother), not the type you can use on an ancestry site. The DNA was not Lyn Dawsons. Hedley Thomas had an expert look over the cardigan, I can't remember whether it was just from pictures which I think is most likely and the expert suggested they could be stab marks. If it was used it would be only as an additional piece of evidence not the clincher.

I mentioned the cardigan because it was suspicious not because it would be used for evidence.

It's well worth a watch and quite interesting to see given its pre all the pod cast hype.
Mitochondrial DNA is DNA that's separate to the DNA found on the chromosomes and FTY1 is correct that you inherit it only from your mother. However, rather than this DNA giving a (example) 1 in 10 billion chance of it being anyone other than a particular person the mtDNA will still narrow the field to anyone, male or female, from that female lineage, so it's still useful, to a degree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Carlton
Metic posted this earlier about 3.46 is the filming of the dig in 2000. This was before both the Inquests that determined there was not enough information to prosecute. There was minute amount of DNA from my understanding it was mitochondrial DNA (the type you inherit from your mother), not the type you can use on an ancestry site. The DNA was not Lyn Dawsons. Hedley Thomas had an expert look over the cardigan, I can't remember whether it was just from pictures which I think is most likely and the expert suggested they could be stab marks. If it was used it would be only as an additional piece of evidence not the clincher.

I mentioned the cardigan because it was suspicious not because it would be used for evidence.

It's well worth a watch and quite interesting to see given its pre all the pod cast hype.
I've finished the podcast now and listened to the discussion on the cartigan, and the most recent dig. So she's not there, which is damaging to a prosecution.

Has anyone ever tried to locate/identify the lady in the Antiques Roadshow? Given the podcast's popularity in the UK there's a good chance of that woman being identified. She does look like Lynette Dawson

shellyg

Community Leader
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thread starter Moderator #178
Chris Dawson could be stripped of Lyn's estate even if he's not convicted. Good, it all should go to her children.

When Lyn vanished in January 1982, leaving behind two daughters aged four and two, the couple jointly owned a property at Bayview on Sydney’s northern beaches, where they had built a house and pool.

The following year, with Lyn still missing, Mr Dawson formally sought a property settlement in court, saying she had abandoned her family and home.

All of Lyn’s assets, including her share of the Bayview property, were transferred to Mr Dawson’s name in 1984.

He sold the home that year and moved to Queensland with his new partner, his former student Joanne Curtis.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/po...e/news-story/80faa45144da419e1382dd2d2f387040

FTY1

Senior List
AFL Club
GWS
Chris Dawson could be stripped of Lyn's estate even if he's not convicted. Good, it all should go to her children.

When Lyn vanished in January 1982, leaving behind two daughters aged four and two, the couple jointly owned a property at Bayview on Sydney’s northern beaches, where they had built a house and pool.

The following year, with Lyn still missing, Mr Dawson formally sought a property settlement in court, saying she had abandoned her family and home.

All of Lyn’s assets, including her share of the Bayview property, were transferred to Mr Dawson’s name in 1984.

He sold the home that year and moved to Queensland with his new partner, his former student Joanne Curtis.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/po...e/news-story/80faa45144da419e1382dd2d2f387040
It makes everything a bit confusing over 30 years later since the "property settlement". The property at 2 Gilwinga Drive was sold, there was a property bought near Dreamworld, a divorce and property settlement with Joanne, a property at Runaway Bay (which may have changed into an investment property where the Today Show found him about the time of the dig) and then Mt Coolum which presumably would have been with his current wife.

shellyg

Community Leader
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thread starter Moderator #180
It makes everything a bit confusing over 30 years later since the "property settlement". The property at 2 Gilwinga Drive was sold, there was a property bought near Dreamworld, a divorce and property settlement with Joanne, a property at Runaway Bay (which may have changed into an investment property where the Today Show found him about the time of the dig) and then Mt Coolum which presumably would have been with his current wife.
I wonder how he's going to fund his defence, there might not a whole lot left.

The Age today. We'll hear Monday if he gets bail.

The bail application in Central Local Court on Friday heard that Mr Dawson told his wife “If this doesn’t work, I’m going to get rid of you” at a marriage counselling session just prior to Lynette’s disappearance in 1982.

“She didn't collect her last pay cheque, she left contact lenses at home, she didn't pursue a $130 pre-paid ophthalmology appointment. Her clothes were left at home, all of them. She didn't drive, she didn't have a licence, she hasn't left via an international point of departure, she hasn't been to a doctor,” Mr Everson said.

Numerous sightings of Lynette since she disappeared in February 1982, as well as the use of her bank cards and phone calls that Mr Dawson claimed were from her after she went missing undermine the Crown's case, Mr Walsh argued.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...-going-to-get-rid-of-you-20181214-p50mc5.html

FTY1

Senior List
AFL Club
GWS

The bail application in Central Local Court on Friday heard that Mr Dawson told his wife “If this doesn’t work, I’m going to get rid of you” at a marriage counselling session just prior to Lynette’s disappearance in 1982.

“She didn't collect her last pay cheque, she left contact lenses at home, she didn't pursue a $130 pre-paid ophthalmology appointment. Her clothes were left at home, all of them. She didn't drive, she didn't have a licence, she hasn't left via an international point of departure, she hasn't been to a doctor,” Mr Everson said.

Numerous sightings of Lynette since she disappeared in February 1982, as well as the use of her bank cards and phone calls that Mr Dawson claimed were from her after she went missing undermine the Crown's case, Mr Walsh argued.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...-going-to-get-rid-of-you-20181214-p50mc5.html
Maybe he might get mates rates!

http://www.gregwalsh.com.au/history/

" 2002

Awarded a Medal of the Order of Australia for service to the legal profession, and to the community, particularly through the provision of pro bono legal services."

cartwright

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
St Kilda

he got bail.

bananatigz

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Not surprising he got bail given it’s sure to be an almost entirely circumstantial case and the lack of any previous convictions. Surely he has to go Judge only in the trial

FTY1

Senior List
AFL Club
GWS
Not surprising he got bail given it’s sure to be an almost entirely circumstantial case and the lack of any previous convictions. Surely he has to go Judge only in the trial
I personally don't think it has anything to do with it being circumstantial. The DPP says there is enough evidence to go to trial.

While he is charged with murder, it is more about whether he is a threat to the community.

" "Magistrate Williams said he was satisfied the 70-year-old would not pose an unacceptable risk to the community, considering he has no previous criminal history.

"While murder is the most serious offence, refusal of bail is not to be deemed a punishment … the applicant is not to be punished before a conviction," he said."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12...-after-charged-with-wife-lyns-murder/10627372

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Killer Power

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Can't be worse than what the Teacher's Pet podcast has descended into. Hedley's last 2 podcasts on the dig and then the arrest were terrible listening. Just a mish mash of sound bites from previous participants on what their views are on proceedings. Just padding. And if I hear him say "The Soft Soil" or "A Lovely Drink" one more time I think I will put my fist through my screen.

shellyg

Community Leader
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thread starter Moderator #191
Can't be worse than what the Teacher's Pet podcast has descended into. Hedley's last 2 podcasts on the dig and then the arrest were terrible listening. Just a mish mash of sound bites from previous participants on what their views are on proceedings. Just padding. And if I hear him say "The Soft Soil" or "A Lovely Drink" one more time I think I will put my fist through my screen.
Guilty of hitting the forward button so much through the last two that I think I missed most of it. The psychic section I skipped too.

FTY1

Senior List
AFL Club
GWS
To be fair to Hedley with regard to the investigation and the last 2 podcasts, a lot of us at the time had followed the story of the dig and the arrest. The story of the dig was not news to any of us and was repeating what had been heard in the media. If someone overseas or new were to listen to the podcast in years to come without the background, it completes the story.

Killer Power

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
To be fair to Hedley with regard to the investigation and the last 2 podcasts, a lot of us at the time had followed the story of the dig and the arrest. The story of the dig was not news to any of us and was repeating what had been heard in the media. If someone overseas or new were to listen to the podcast in years to come without the background, it completes the story.
Fair if it was a recap. But it was over an hour of mostly him getting the hot takes on how everyone in the extended family was feeling and having his ego stroked.

Top Bottom