Current Trial The Teachers Pet Podcast & Chris Dawson's Murder Trial * New Carnal Knowledge Trial

Remove this Banner Ad

There was a 5 April 2019 17 minute bonus episode of the Teachers Pet Podcast explaining why the Podcast access has changed for Australia based listeners.
Go listen.

FYI:
The Teacher’s Trial, which launched on Friday, shot to No. 1 in the Apple podcast charts and follows on from the 2018 hit podcast The Teacher’s Pet.

Tens of thousands of listeners have already tuned in to the new series, which will focus on the events in the court trial of Mr Dawson, who is accused of murdering his wife, Lynette Dawson, in Sydney in 1982.

The podcast series is led by two of the nation’s most experienced crime reporters, David Murray and Matthew Condon, who will be attending the five-week trial in Sydney’s Supreme Court.

The pair will produce a weekly podcast on the information that unfolds inside the courtroom and each new episode will be released every Friday during the trial.

It includes commentary and analysis from experts and legal professionals in the lead-up to the verdict.

THEAUSTRALIAN.COM.AU01:01

Chris Dawson to face trial for murder​

Former Sydney schoolteacher Chris Dawson will face trial for the murder of his wife Lynette after the High Court dismissed his application to stop… proceedings. The former Newtown Jets player previously argued his chances of having a fair trial were damaged due to extensive publicity. On Friday morning More

READ MORE:Chris Dawson and the long road to justice|Listen in to The Teacher’s Trial

The Teacher’s Trial and The Australian’s new morning news podcast The Front occupied the top two positions in the news category in the Apple Podcast charts across the weekend.

The Front, which features page one stories as well as journalists’ takes on important issues, will also feature analysis from the Dawson trial.

The Teacher’s Pet podcast, which was spearheaded by The Australian’s national chief correspondent Hedley Thomas, was a worldwide news phenomenon, reaching the top of the podcast charts in Australia, the US, the UK, Canada and New Zealand and registering more than 60 million downloads across 16 episodes.

Thomas went on to produce two other crime podcasts, The Night Driver and Shandee’s Story, and both also recorded many downloads over the weekend, driven by the launch of The Teacher’s Trial.

The Weekend Australian's article on this case has a very long article, that I've selected a few parts of for this post.

I wonder how many years it will be before the public is provided an audio-visual link to trials like this one, that have no jury and high levels of public interest?

'Chris Dawson and the long road to justice

David Murray
NATIONAL CRIME CORRESPONDENT
12:00AM MAY 14, 2022

'Separated from his third wife, Sue, for many months, he is suffering a major depressive illness and is suicidal, his lawyers say.'

'Lynette’s brother, Greg Simms, and sister Pat are witnesses and by convention aren’t allowed in court until they’ve given evidence.'

'Tables reserved for the news media aren’t full, primarily due to an audiovisual link being provided to journalists and some family members to watch the trial online.'
Robert Silkman ...“He was approached by Chris Dawson, the accused. The two of them were well known to each other, having played football together in the second grade side at Newtown. And the crown alleges that the accused asked Mr Silkman if he knew someone who could get rid of his wife.”

Silkman’s allegations are new and had been kept under wraps. He had come forward and given a statement to police in November 2018.'

Have you made up your mind over guilt/innocence before the trial begins?
My current thoughts are based on listening to Hedley Thomas’ podcast and reading articles. My opinions may change as I read more evidence with the trial.

Neighbour tells court she saw Chris Dawson 'scream' at wife Lynette shortly before she went missing

Julie Andrew lived next to the Dawsons in the Sydney suburb of Bayview and took to the witness box today to describe a day in December, 1981, when she allegedly heard "wailing" coming from her neighbour's property.

She said that, on further investigation, she saw Mr Dawson "shaking" Ms Dawson as he held her against the trampoline in their backyard with at least one hand.

"He was screaming at her and she was crying," she said.

"He was towering over her … he was roaring at her."

"I said: 'You can't let her live here. This is your house. You can't have her move in'," Ms Andrew told the court.

"Lyn then became defensive … I had to shake her up … I said: 'Lyn, you can't have her move in here. [Mr Dawson's] f*****g the babysitter'."

I haven't listened to any of the podcasts. I have to say I have concern about most of these historical crimes. They can tend to be unsafe being reliant upon circumstantial evidence. Hopefully this case will be different. Not a great start....

'Neighbour says she THINKS he murdered her because he's having sex with the baby sitter'

How is something like that even admissible?

I haven't listened to any of the podcasts. I have to say I have concern about most of these historical crimes. They can tend to be unsafe being reliant upon circumstantial evidence. Hopefully this case will be different. Not a great start....

'Neighbour says she THINKS he murdered her because he's having sex with the baby sitter'

How is something like that even admissible?

This post here at #255 which is just above yours, refers to the same neighbour that was being discussed on the news so there's more to her witness testimony than sex with an underaged girl but which in of itself, should be a red flag.

This post here at #255 which is just above yours, refers to the same neighbour that was being discussed on the news so there's more to her witness testimony than sex with an underaged girl but which in of itself, should be a red flag.

Menacing behaviour and having sex with baby sitter' are both circumstantial and relevant pieces of evidence. An opinion about if he murdered her isn't

Menacing behaviour and having sex with baby sitter' are both circumstantial and relevant pieces of evidence. An opinion about if he murdered her isn't

The judge I'd reckon can sort out whether it's relevant or not.

Aside, two coronial inquiries have already found that Chris Dawson likely murdered Lyn and recommended charges be laid.

Aside, two coronial inquiries have already found that Chris Dawson likely murdered Lyn and recommended charges be laid.
There was a lack of evidence:
At the first inquest held in February 2001, the Deputy State Coroner Jan Stevenson determined that Lynette had been murdered and that her killer was someone she knew. The coroner recommended charges be laid; however Nicholas Cowdery QC, the NSW Director of Public Prosecutions, assessed that there was insufficient evidence for a criminal conviction. A second inquest, held in February 2003 by State Coroner Carl Milovanovich, recommended Chris be charged with Lynette's murder.[3][4][9][8] Cowdery again refused to prosecute Dawson, citing the lack of evidence.[3]

In April 2018, following extensive investigations, NSW Police requested the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions to review its brief of evidence.[3]

There was a lack of evidence:
At the first inquest held in February 2001, the Deputy State Coroner Jan Stevenson determined that Lynette had been murdered and that her killer was someone she knew. The coroner recommended charges be laid; however Nicholas Cowdery QC, the NSW Director of Public Prosecutions, assessed that there was insufficient evidence for a criminal conviction. A second inquest, held in February 2003 by State Coroner Carl Milovanovich, recommended Chris be charged with Lynette's murder.[3][4][9][8] Cowdery again refused to prosecute Dawson, citing the lack of evidence.[3]

In April 2018, following extensive investigations, NSW Police requested the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions to review its brief of evidence.[3]

Cowdery was resistant to a prosecution against Dawson for the murder of Lyn but that same resistance was absent when presented with an opportunity to convict Keli Lane for the murder of her newborn, on a case that was entirely circumstantial and lacking a body.

Former NSW director of public prosecutions Nicholas Cowdery QC has resigned as the chair of the White Ribbon board after ABC documentary Exposed aired comments he made about convicted baby killer Keli Lane's sex life.

Mr Cowdery told the program he believed Lane was not a threat to the general community because there was no risk she would harm other children.

"She seemed to be a bit of a risk to the virile young male portion of the community," Mr Cowdery said.

Cowdery was resistant to a prosecution against Dawson for the murder of Lyn but that same resistance was absent when presented with an opportunity to convict Keli Lane for the murder of her newborn, on a case that was entirely circumstantial and lacking a body.

Former NSW director of public prosecutions Nicholas Cowdery QC has resigned as the chair of the White Ribbon board after ABC documentary Exposed aired comments he made about convicted baby killer Keli Lane's sex life.

Mr Cowdery told the program he believed Lane was not a threat to the general community because there was no risk she would harm other children.

"She seemed to be a bit of a risk to the virile young male portion of the community," Mr Cowdery said.

You would like to think a Judge would know better than to publicly say something like that. No wonder he 'resigned' from the board of White Ribbon, his words simply do not uphold White Ribbons values. I've always felt Keli was unfairly treated by the media and the Judge, add to that her parents and the men whom she was associated with. It would be a different story if she were a man. I dont believe she should have been charged as there was no substantial evidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you really trying to insinuate sexism by Cowdery as explanation why Lane would be charged and Dawson wouldn't? Wow that's a long bow Kurve. Personally I think his decision was principled even if his comment was ill advised, something he clearly recognized

What about this ....a baby a few days old isn't going to crawl off and top itself now Is it? 100% care...100% responsibility it seems to me absent any knowledge of facts. Give the baby away?....ok let's talk to the person???? Mmmmmmm.

Dawson by comparison has several people (however credible or not) with witness account of having seen her allegedly after going missing. Or perhaps so unhappy and disillusioned with state of marriage she jumps off gap to be eaten by shark. Cowdery obviously had thought there would be difficulty proving death without a body on this but not Lane of a 2 day old baby. I can understand that and I'm neither sexist nor misogynistic. I assume there is a mountain of evidence that does implicate him. Will be interesting to see

Last edited:
Are you really trying to insinuate sexism by Cowdery as explanation why Lane would be charged and Dawson wouldn't? Wow that's a long bow Kurve. Personally I think his decision was principled even if his comment was ill advised, something he clearly recognized

What about this ....a baby a few days old isn't going to crawl off and top itself now Is it? 100% care...100% responsibility it seems to me absent any knowledge of facts. Give the baby away?....ok let's talk to the person???? Mmmmmmm.

Dawson by comparison has several people (however credible or not) with witness account of having seen her allegedly after going missing. Or perhaps so unhappy and disillusioned with state of marriage she jumps off gap to be eaten by shark. Cowdery obviously had thought there would be difficulty proving death without a body on this but not Lane of a 2 day old baby. I can understand that and I'm neither sexist nor misogynistic

If he'd made those comments about Keli Lane when he was still head of the DPP both his role and the prosecution against her would have been called in to question.

Don't forget, TWO coronial inquiries found Lyn Dawson had been murdered with recommends that Chris Dawson be prosecuted.

I didnt realise JC left CD so long ago (1990) - damn wish she had come forward sooner !!

"Greg Simms – Ms Dawson’s brother – met with JC at Woy Woy on the Central Coast in 1990.
The meeting took place eight years after Ms Dawson’s disappearance and following JC’s separation from Mr Dawson.
The court was told that during the conversation, JC alleged that Mr Dawson had tried to hire a hitman to get rid of Ms Dawson but changed his mind."

I thought it was more recently - Im still very interested in hearing JC's evidence on the stand.

The evidence of CD's Newtown Jet (2nd Grade) mate Robert Silkman- saying CD was after someone to effectively "bump off his missus LD" goes to 2 people (RS & JC) now saying such.

Wonder if someone else overheard the hitman request, or comes forward now to make a statement.

If he'd made those comments about Keli Lane when he was still head of the DPP both his role and the prosecution against her would have been called in to question.

Don't forget, TWO coronial inquiries found Lyn Dawson had been murdered with recommends that Chris Dawson be prosecuted.

I think the guy is going down based on my limited knowledge. My response was on academic basis. And coronal inquests are usually followed so that is strange. I try and put myself in his place proving either. Have a lot less resistance on Lane than Dawson I have to say and that's not a comment of merits of case but rather ease of proving of proving death

Sounds like the 3 counts of perjury by Keli Lane, might have tipped the scales on the charges decision by the NSW DPP.

'Ms Rhodes said that despite public statements to the contrary, police produced a search warrant and excavated a residence in Gladesville based on a hunch, rather than any new lead.

'another tactic deployed by police, an undercover operative attempted to befriend Lane in order to extract information about baby Tegan's fate.'

'police covertly collected DNA samples from Lane and members of her family, but police bungled the operation and mistakenly mixed the DNA samples.'

'Lane was also the subject of extensive surveillance including hundreds of phone intercepts and listening device recordings.
"Didn't bear us any fruit unfortunately," Ms Rhodes said.
"But we tried. We really tried. Every resource that was available. We didn't have anything."'

'Mr Cowdery said that against the backdrop of financial and political pressure, it became necessary for the NSW DPP to prioritise high-profile cases including Lane's matter.
"That's not ideal. It's not in the general public interest to have to do that, but sometimes you have to," he said.
Mr Cowdery said he carefully evaluated the circumstantial evidence before making the decision to charge Lane with murder.'

'the police investigation was incomplete by the time the matter progressed to trial.'

I was commenting on your likely murdered suggestion .

Chris Dawson's 16yo mistress tells court how affair with accused murderer started​

The babysitter (JC) told the court that, once she was living with the couple, she noticed Mr Dawson was very "distant" with his wife and made her alcoholic drinks at night that would make her fall asleep.

"She would fall asleep, sometimes in the chair, sometimes she would excuse herself to go to bed," the woman told the court.

"What happened after she fell asleep?" Crown prosecutor Craig Everson SC asked.

"Chris would want me to have sex with him," she answered.

The woman said she would agree and they would do so in the bedroom she was staying in at the time.

The former babysitter (JC) said, during her time living with the couple, Mr Dawson would often sing "cruel" songs about his wife, inferring that she was unattractive.

"He used to call her fatso," she said.

"He didn't call her Lyn, he called her fatso and laughed about it."
Mr Dawson, who is now 73, would often give the then-teenager driving lessons as a way to spend more time together, the woman told the court.

She said the first time he kissed her was while they sat in the carpark at Dee Why Beach.

The court was shown love notes the prosecution say Mr Dawson left in the woman's school backpack, including a card signed, "Love Always, God".

"He would have disguised himself as it was 1980 and I was 16 so that's what he called himself," she told the court.

Mr Dawson married the babysitter in 1984 but the pair separated in 1990.

He called himself "God" - ffs

I didnt realise JC left CD so long ago (1990) - damn wish she had come forward sooner !!

"Greg Simms – Ms Dawson’s brother – met with JC at Woy Woy on the Central Coast in 1990.
The meeting took place eight years after Ms Dawson’s disappearance and following JC’s separation from Mr Dawson.
The court was told that during the conversation, JC alleged that Mr Dawson had tried to hire a hitman to get rid of Ms Dawson but changed his mind."

I thought it was more recently - Im still very interested in hearing JC's evidence on the stand.

The evidence of CD's Newtown Jet (2nd Grade) mate Robert Silkman- saying CD was after someone to effectively "bump off his missus LD" goes to 2 people (RS & JC) now saying such.

Wonder if someone else overheard the hitman request, or comes forward now to make a statement.
She did come forward earlier. There were no witnesses at the 2001 inquest (only witness statements) and that was one of the reasons that it didn't proceed is there was no witnesses so evidence hadn't been tested. In 2003 there was 20 witnesses including JC but this was still not enough for the ODPP.

My understanding is that the diary of a student (not JC) was one of the reasons that the ODPP decided to prosecute.

Also it should be noted that JC did not give any interviews in the podcast The Teachers Pet although she was the main topic.

Last edited:

Chris Dawson's 16yo mistress tells court how affair with accused murderer started​

This was the headline yesterday ^

and, today, they have cleaned it up:

Chris Dawson's 16yo babysitter tells court how affair with accused murderer started​

There is no doubt IMO he groomed this 16yo student - he was 34yo at the time

This was the headline yesterday ^

and, today, they have cleaned it up:

Chris Dawson's 16yo babysitter tells court how affair with accused murderer started​

There is no doubt IMO he groomed this 16yo student - he was 34yo at the time
The Daily Telegraph is now describing key witness "JC" as a teen "sex slave".
Mirroring JC's reported use of that term in court today.

'May 19, 2022 - 1:11PM'

'Alleged murderer Chris Dawson once drove a teenage babysitter who felt like a “sex slave” to a building site in Western Sydney to make inquiries about hiring a hit man to kill his wife, a court has heard.'

'In 1982, as the months went by she became “cranky” with the situation of having to look after two children she would ask when Lynette was coming back, the court was told.

“I was 18, I was taking care of two children, having to learn to cook, having to learn to clean, having to learn how to be the substitute housekeeper, sex slave, stepmother, babysitter, slave.”

She said that when she became frustrated, she would ask as to the whereabouts of Lyn.

“He would fob me off, he would say she has been seen in Perth or seen in the Central Coast… there was never any solid evidence that was the case,” she told the court.'

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 1.34.53 pm.png

Maybe he had palindrome mongrel syndrome back then ;)

I once dated a woman for a while who described herself as a ..."Goddess". She also seriously believed she was a 'good witch' and that she would regularly get visions of the future giving insight to events influencing her. In my defence .....the sex was good

She also had an IQ of 186, was on the spectrum high functioning and had savant syndrome

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back