Current Trial The Teachers Pet Podcast & Chris Dawson's Murder Trial * New Carnal Knowledge Trial

Story

Senior List
Apr 17, 2022
AFL Club
Carlton
Rather court approved substituted service in being unable to be found.
Please clarify what this is and how it works for him to have taken her assets. I knew he had gone through the court not coroner.

Last edited:

Story

Senior List
Apr 17, 2022
AFL Club
Carlton
Application for divorce has to be served on the other party. If it can't then you have to have it given to someone as substitute.....a family member of LD. The court will sanction that it has then been properly served and take legal effect
Sure, but how would that just allow him to take her assets?

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
But how would that allow him to take her assets?

A formal property settlement is needed after divorce. If that agreement doen't happen within certain time limits (years) the property stays in legal ownership it was at date of divorce. If property was bought CD name (in which LD had equitable interest as spouse) that equitable interest lapses when time limit is passed. I'm unsure what happens of on joint names. Probably need a court ordered settlement or perhaps coroner inquest on death. The latter didn't happen until 2001 so it must have been owned legally in CD name my guess

Story

Senior List
Apr 17, 2022
AFL Club
Carlton
A formal property settlement is needed after divorce. If that agreement doen't happen within certain time limits (years) the property stays in legal ownership it was at date of divorce. If property was bought CD name (in which LD had equitable interest as spouse) that equitable interest lapses when time limit is passed. I'm unsure what happens of on joint names. Probably need a court ordered settlement or perhaps coroner inquest on death. The latter didn't happen until 2001 so it must have been owned legally in CD name my guess
Okay - thanks. I felt/thought that it would be the 7year rule but CD obviouly got the ppty before that time. I have the memory that the application for divorce and the application to get the ppty happened at different times......well before the 7 years though. Lyn definitely owned the ppty with CD. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge.

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Okay - thanks. I felt/thought that it would be the 7year rule but CD obviouly got the ppty before that time. I have the memory that the application for divorce and the application to get the ppty happened at different times......well before the 7 years though. Lyn definitely owned the ppty with CD. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge.

I seem recall the divorce went through in 1983? and they married 1984? Unsure when they sold and moved to QLD but he would have needed dispositive power over the property at that time to effect the sale and move. They moved to QLD in 1985

Story

Senior List
Apr 17, 2022
AFL Club
Carlton
I seem recall the divorce went through in 1983? and they married 1984? Unsure when they sold and moved to QLD but he would have needed dispositive power over the property at that time to effect the sale and move. They moved to QLD in 1985
I remember it was in an Ep of The Teacher's Pet podcast but my memory on that point isn't 100%. In my memory he had said that she was dead in order to get the ppty but......Really need clarity

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I remember it was in an Ep of The Teacher's Pet podcast but my memory on that point isn't 100%. In my memory he had said that she was dead in order to get the ppty but......Really need clarity

Well that's interesting if that happened. I would have thought it was only coroner could declare a death. I might have a look to see if some research will shed light

Story

Senior List
Apr 17, 2022
AFL Club
Carlton
Well that's interesting if that happened. I would have thought it was only coroner could declare a death. I might have a look to see if some research will shed light
That's what I thought too. I was shocked that it could happen solely to obtain assests (prior to the 7 years - I suppose there has to be some rules around these things). I would be very happy to be wrong about it but somehow he obtained her interest in the ppty.

Last edited:

Dusty 17

Debutant
Feb 23, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Agree on all of that.

I feel that the Personal Ads was a strange place to have put a notice for Lyn to read. That's the 'dating' ads, and I don't really feel that Lyn would be reading that section of the paper if she were alive. I can understand putting something in the Family Notices section - maybe under Anniversaries - seeing that it was meant to be an ad timed for their wedding anniversary. Anniversary section, yes - Dating section, no. That's if you were actually trying to find your missing wife IMO.

Also, from memory, didn't CD have Lyn declared DEAD so that he was able to sell their house at Bayview, keep all the money and move to Queensland? I might well be wrong, correct me if I am (It's a pretty big point to get clarity on. How did he get her share of the ppty into his name?). Before that he needed to be able to prove abandonment to be able to marry JC, too. For all this to happen I'm sure boxes had to be ticked to show that he had searched for Lyn. Wouldn't his missing persons report and advertisment in the personals have gone towards that? If that's right, he seemed happy to disregard the supposed sighting of Lyn on the Cenral Coast at that time and have her declared dead to get her financial assets. In reality he goes on to telling everyone that she had run off to a cult etc, and not mention that he had cashed in not all that long after she 'went missing'.
Did this get mentioned during the trial?

I also agree with what you wrote. I cant believe that any family members did not act with outrage at Lyn’s treatment, or even take steps to remove the children from the living situation. Mary Kay Letorneau was pilloried for doing almost exactly the same thing as Dawson. Where was the publicity about this poor woman who was hounded out of her own home, deprived of her children, and of her life?
As a teacher myself, I know how short sighted some Principals can be, and the misguided adulation given to some teachers who have managed to achieve a level of fame outside the education system. This man should have been sacked and charged with rape at least. This whole thing is a travesty. That poor woman.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Story

Senior List
Apr 17, 2022
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm having a memory now, that CD went through the legal process saying that Lyn had not contibuted to buyng the ppty and it had all been his money. Did he also say that she could well be dead??? Her family were angry about this because they knew she had been contributing financially to the purchase. Lyn's father (and mother by extension) wrote a letter to CD demanding that he repay the money that they had given Lyn (and by extension CD) to help buy the ppty. It all caused a rift a between the families. To my knowledge CD didn't repay any money - but I don't know for sure.

Last edited:

FTY1

All Australian
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Agree on all of that.

I feel that the Personal Ads was a strange place to have put a notice for Lyn to read. That's the 'dating' ads, and I don't really feel that Lyn would be reading that section of the paper if she were alive. I can understand putting something in the Family Notices section - maybe under Anniversaries - seeing that it was meant to be an ad timed for their wedding anniversary. Anniversary section, yes - Dating section, no. That's if you were actually trying to find your missing wife IMO.

Also, from memory, didn't CD have Lyn declared DEAD so that he was able to sell their house at Bayview, keep all the money and move to Queensland? I might well be wrong, correct me if I am (It's a pretty big point to get clarity on. How did he get her share of the ppty into his name?). Before that he needed to be able to prove abandonment to be able to marry JC, too. For all this to happen I'm sure boxes had to be ticked to show that he had searched for Lyn. Wouldn't his missing persons report and advertisment in the personals have gone towards that? If that's right, he seemed happy to disregard the supposed sighting of Lyn on the Cenral Coast at that time and have her declared dead to get her financial assets. In reality he goes on to telling everyone that she had run off to a cult etc, and not mention that he had cashed in not all that long after she 'went missing'.
Did this get mentioned during the trial?

From the podcast timeline.

Mid-1983: Chris turns to his solicitor friend and former Easts Rugby Club teammate, Jeff Linden, for legal advice to obtain a divorce, which is confirmed mid-1983.

-

September 1983: Chris makes a formal affidavit for application of property settlement, saying that Lyn had abandoned her family and home.

Story

Senior List
Apr 17, 2022
AFL Club
Carlton
From the podcast timeline.

Mid-1983: Chris turns to his solicitor friend and former Easts Rugby Club teammate, Jeff Linden, for legal advice to obtain a divorce, which is confirmed mid-1983.

-

September 1983: Chris makes a formal affidavit for application of property settlement, saying that Lyn had abandoned her family and home.
Thankyou :). Still a bit rich to be able to take somebody's assets like that imo :(. By that time she was not even 'missing' for 2 years. That is not long enough imo to allow a missing person to lose their assets.

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
without him there probably isn’t a court case.

though i agree he has a white knight complex and isn’t capable of being impartial.
from the last episode
“that would suggest the body was still at Bayview, possibly rolled up in a carpet”
I understand he’s just speculating but the carpet bit is so over the top. Or is there a reason he’d suggest this outside of sensationalism?

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
So if Chris Dawson is found guilty in the current murder trial, are his 1st wife's family going to be able to have a legal claim on part of his property, as though Lynette Dawson was alive and got a fair divorce property settlement, or a fair share of the sale proceeds from when Dawson sold their matrimonial home?

Story

Senior List
Apr 17, 2022
AFL Club
Carlton
So if Chris Dawson is found guilty in the current murder trial, are his 1st wife's family going to be able to have a legal claim on part of his property, as though Lynette Dawson was alive and got a fair divorce property settlement, or a fair share of the sale proceeds from when Dawson sold their matrimonial home?
If he's found guilty, her deceased estate should go to her kids.....I think that's what Lyn, and her family, would want anyway.

Last edited:

FTY1

All Australian
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Angry Red Bull said:

To clarify dates I think it was 15 January but also from Hedley's timeline

January 1984: Chris marries JC at Bayview. Chris has Lyn’s rings reset for JC.

The timeline also says:
1984: Chris has all of Lyn’s assets including her share in the Bayview property transferred to his name. Chris sells the house at Bayview.

1985 they moved to Queensland. I think that was to the compound in Coomera.

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

Probably as wrongful death claim a bit like OJ Simpson. If a court can find him guilty on reasonable doubt criteria a civil court will easily find in their favour on balance of probabilities. Will check statute of limitations. ANSWER: statute barred 12 years. Can't make claim

That said if it goes as not guilty there is a possibility that CD sues HT and podcast The Austrailan for defamation. Once again will check statute of limitations. ANSWER: Statute barred 1 year after publication. Some of Teachers Trial may but don't think anything was defamatory in there. They seemed to be cautious even if bias existed in description of factual matters. Unsure of 'date of publication' where a podcast is played again. Probably refreshes the time I'd say.

If they said that he rolled her in carpet to hide body on a non guilty verdict that is definitely defamatory you'd think.

If it is true they said that my opinion of HT and Australian just dived another 5 notches. That's just terrible.

It may not be more likely than the alternative but is seems to me that CD behaviour was intentional to drive her out of the home with obscene in your face conduct with JC.........in your own home. Just horrible emotional abuse. They left to QLD to start anew (CD:JC) but came back because JC couldn't leave family friends and NSW. That one fact is evidence there wasn't a plan to get rid of her because he was prepared to be the one to leave. In coming back he probably doubled down on his efforts to force her to be the one to leave. I think it's possible therefore that his plan was to break her emotionally to force her out. It's possible. The fact she never surfaced says that the likely was in conversation on 8th to do just that a major argument erupted with deadly effect. But there is some possibility he broke her emotionally and she left to then suicide later. Consider.....she was very much a co dependent type personality. They tend to live vicariously through their partner and family. Take that away the lack of self esteem that gives birth to that co dependency makes them very vulnerable and fragile. I do not rule out suicide

Interesting

Last edited:

checkraiseulite

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
might’ve been a good argument to run, but unless she was definitely going to top herself he would’ve still had to deal with the property settlement.

Story

Senior List
Apr 17, 2022
AFL Club
Carlton
It may not be more likely than the alternative but is seems to me that CD behaviour was intentional to drive her out of the home with obscene in your face conduct with JC.........in your own home. Just horrible emotional abuse. They left to QLD to start anew (CD:JC) but came back because JC couldn't leave family friends and NSW. That one fact is evidence there wasn't a plan to get rid of her because he was prepared to be the one to leave. In coming back he probably doubled down on his efforts to force her to be the one to leave. I think it's possible therefore that his plan was to break her emotionally to force her out. It's possible. The fact she never surfaced says that the likely was in conversation on 8th to do just that a major argument erupted with deadly effect. But there is some possibility he broke her emotionally and she left to then suicide later. Consider.....she was very much a co dependent type personality. They tend to live vicariously through their partner and family. Take that away the lack of self esteem that gives birth to that co dependency makes them very vulnerable and fragile. I do not rule out suicidse

Interesting
I can agree with some of your points but I think things went further then that because I"m looking from a different angle. I think being with JC was the first focus. Obviously I don't know CD and to my knowledge he has not received a psychological assesment (and I'm only an armchair psychologist so what I'm saying is all speculative) but there are red flags to me from this case's story that could indicate that CD could potentially be a cluster B personality type (I'm not saying he is but that there are indicators. If he killed Lyn that would fit imo) and with some of those types there is impetuousity.
There are a few impetuous acts in CD's behaviour imo. For example, if we assume as correct that CD approached Silkman on a plane to ask about a hitman,that seems pretty impetuous to me. (It isn't relevent if this is accepted by the court at the moment, to me, because I'm not looking at things in a legal framework here but on a personality framework, and Silkman's story is supported by his speaking about it in the 70's). There are reports of impulsive anger outbursts, putting down a deposit on the Manly flat could be impulsive etc. Deciding to get in the car and head to Qld seems pretty impulsive, too. It doesn't seem to have been thought out as there is no indication that there was a place to stay when they got there, no job lined up.
It's always seemed that CD's main goal was to be with JC and it's only when he settles his thoughts that he thinks about practicality. It's only after giving the deposit for the flat in Manly that he thinks about the calling for legal advice. We know what JC says she thought in the car to Qld, that she was sick and wanting to get back to her family, but we don't know what CD was thinking. There is the note he left for Lyn, but did he start to have reservations during the trip about what to do about money, and that was part of his motive for coming back, too? Or was he banking on the hope that Lyn would sign the real estate agreement he wanted her to sign (which does show there was a plan with some forethought to getting money from the sale). We just don't know.
But the one thing that is clear, is that his main impulse was to be with JC. That fits with the Crown's case. That's put as his first motive and the rest comes after.
His head would have known that he needed money, though. The act of heading off to Qld really specks to me, personally, of acting on impulse to obtain a goal - especially for a person of his age and situation in life (it's simply not practical or thought-out to run off like that).....If anything, heading off to Qld in that way speaks to an impulsive personality that is capable of other impulsive acts. I think a point must have come when he realised that if he wanted JC in his life he needed a better plan, and he needed to do it pretty soon because JC was wanting to end things with him. For a personality type that I'm talking about, I think that Lyn would become the sole focus of blame for them not getting what they want (in this case to be with JC) - that's not a good place for Lyn to have been in imo.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I can agree with some of your points but I think things went further then that because I"m looking from a different angle. I think being with JC was the first focus. Obviously I don't know CD and to my knowledge he has not received a psychological assesment (and I'm only an armchair psychologist so what I'm saying is all speculative) but there are red flags to me from this case's story that could indicate that CD could potentially be a cluster B personality type (I'm not saying he is but that there are indicators. If he killed Lyn that would fit imo) and with some of those types there is impetuousity.
There are a few impetuous acts in CD's behaviour imo. For example, if we assume as correct that CD approached Silkman on a plane to ask about a hitman,that seems pretty impetuous to me. (It isn't relevent if this is accepted by the court at the moment, to me, because I'm not looking at things in a legal framework here but on a personality framework, and Silkman's story is supported by his speaking about it in the 70's). There are reports of impulsive anger outbursts, putting down a deposit on the Manly flat could be impulsive etc. Deciding to get in the car and head to Qld seems pretty impulsive, too. It doesn't seem to have been thought out as there is no indication that there was a place to stay when they got there, no job lined up.
It's always seemed that CD's main goal was to be with JC and it's only when he settles his thoughts that he thinks about practicality. It's only after giving the deposit for the flat in Manly that he thinks about the calling for legal advice. We know what JC says she thought in the car to Qld, that she was sick and wanting to get back to her family, but we don't know what CD was thinking. There is the note he left for Lyn, but did he start to have reservations during the trip about what to do about money, and that was part of his motive for coming back, too? Or was he banking on the hope that Lyn would sign the real estate agreement he wanted her to sign (which does show there was a plan with some forethought to getting money from the sale). We just don't know.
But the one thing that is clear, is that his main impulse was to be with JC. That fits with the Crown's case. That's put as his first motive and the rest comes after.
His head would have known that he needed money, though. The act of heading off to Qld really specks to me, personally, of acting on impulse to obtain a goal - especially for a person of his age and situation in life (it's simply not practical or thought-out to run off like that).....If anything, heading off to Qld in that way speaks to an impulsive personality that is capable of other impulsive acts. I think a point must have come when he realised that if he wanted JC in his life he needed a better plan, and he needed to do it pretty soon because JC was wanting to end things with him. For a personality type that I'm talking about, I think that Lyn would become the sole focus of blame for them not getting what they want (in this case to be with JC) - that's not a good place for Lyn to have been in imo.

Yes there are a number of traits there that point to cluster B. Splitting (ie black and white thinking) and lack of boundaries (what's mine is mine and what's yours is mine too).

I can point to a lot of cluster B NPD traits but there are notable omissions too. Ability to work in a team. Longevity of relationships. Lack of offending record.

Even with NPD we need poor to non existent anger impulse control or existence of ASPD traits co morbidity to get to a murder. Alternatively a narcissist rage trigger. You suggest that might be LD being a obstacle to JC. I guess that's possible. Virtually all his anger incidents have been jealousy related ...sees that as ultimate form of rejection it seems. I suspect that LD saying as payback that she too has a new man would definitely hit his trigger

Some have said his involvement in a violent sport aids but the counter argument is that a violent sport teaches discipline and de-sensitivity to violence.

Throw in unknown role of DNA in his makeup. Difficult evaluation

Too hard for me to form any worthwhile opinion.

Story

Senior List
Apr 17, 2022
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes there are a number of traits there that point to cluster B. Splitting (ie black and white thinking) and lack of boundaries (what's mine is mine and what's yours is mine too).

I can point to a lot of cluster B NPD traits but there are notable omissions too. Ability to work in a team. Longevity of relationships. Lack of offending record.

Even with NPD we need poor to non existent anger impulse control or existence of ASPD traits co morbidity to get to a murder. Alternatively a narcissist rage trigger. You suggest that might be LD being a obstacle to JC. I guess that's possible. Virtually all his anger incidents have been jealousy related ...sees that as ultimate form of rejection it seems. I suspect that LD saying as payback that she too has a new man would definitely hit his trigger

Some have said his involvement in a violent sport aids but the counter argument is that a violent sport teaches discipline and de-sensitivity to violence.

Throw in unknown role of DNA in his makeup. Difficult evaluation

Too hard for me to form any worthwhile opinion.
Hang on a sec - I'm not trying to diagnose CD, that's not really possible. I am giving my observations on potential personality traits in response to your comment that Lyn was a co-dependent personality type - hmmm - that naturally made me think of CD's potential personality type. I wouldn't say that all cluster B types have short term relationships - it doesn't really work like that - not all boxes need to be ticked for a person to be diagnosed with something - just the right boxes. But if we look at CD's romantic relationships that we know about, I wouldn't really call them successful. We don't know what CD was up to before he went after JC (he did travel a lot for his sports though and in modern times there is a lot of negative talk about what can go on in that sector) but I don't feel ready to say that he was faithful, because of what we do know. And the relationship with Lyn itself was not exactly healthy, which doesn't seem to be because of Lyn's behaviour at all. That marriage either ended in Lyn leaving without a trace, or vanishing off the face of the planet and CD being put on trial for her probable murder. From what's been said it looks like there was coercive control and violence in that relationship. It seems clear that Lyn was the victim in this marriage, not Chris. The fact that she persisited in loving Chris shouldn't be held against her.
CD's second marriage resulted from his persuing a student under his care. We won't go into all of that because there is a hell of a lot to go through, but in no way is it okay for a teacher to do what CD did to JC. That relationship was never going to be healthy. JC was vulnerable and I think that made her an easy target. If anyone thinks that's a healthy relationship I would argue that it would fall into the cluster B type of relationships and was another marriage that was all about control. JC felt controlled and that she was isolated, kept in a compound, had her finances, clothing and movements controlled. She also speaks of violence and, when she left the relationship, she feared for her life.
These are two relationships that we know of that were not healthy in any way.
To my knowledge CD began his relationship with his 3rd wife, Sue, quite soon after things ended with JC (quickly going from one relationship to another can be a warning sign) but I hope it was healthy for Sue's sake. They have been together since that time, to the best of my knowlege, so that is about 22 years, but we know nothing about that relationship. For all I know CD might feel that he has a point to prove and that has contributed to the longevity of that marriage - or maybe they just get along - we don't know. There have been reports of inappropriate behaviour in CD's teaching when he and his 3rd wife moved further north in Qld but they are just reports at this time.
Personally I know cluster B types that have been married for decades - behind closed doors there are issues but only Sue knows how happy her marriage is and I hope that, for her sake, it's good for her and was good for her children. But I really don't agree that Cluster B types cannot have long term relationships. Again I am not saying that CD is cluster B, I am just saying that we don't know enough.
I also think that you don't know enough to say that Lyn was a co-dependent personality type. People that are being manipulated, controlled, abused are going to behave in ways that can look emotionally unhealthy. That's a sympton, not a cause. But, to me, Lyn didn't come across as emotionally unhealthy - just a person in an unhealthy relationship.

Also you can't play any type of football without being in a team, but it seems he was carried a lot by his brother. From what Marilyn has said, CD needed help to get his assignments done to get his teaching degree. Also, an awful lot of Cluster B types go under the radar and don't have police records, especially when they have mates in power and family looking out for them. Cluster B is a huge spectrum, it's not just NPD. Again, I don't think we are here to diagnose either CD or Lyn, all we can do is talk about what we know and what it might mean. There are things that tell me that Lyn was a good and caring person. There is nothing that tell me that Lyn wasn't capable of having healthy relationships and was a co-dependent personality type.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
He's not Borderline. Nor Histrionic, has possibly traits of Antisocial and definitely traits of Narcissistic but I really don't think to diagnostic standard just traits. That's just my opinion on what's on show or can be gleaned which we agree isn't enough

Classic example of NPD and inability to function at all in a team is Trump. He employed only yes men and if they weren't he'd sack them because he couldn't cope being told he was wrong. To reach first grade in NRL team he is able to subjugate his own needs accept criticism to be a disciplined team player. That is incompatible with the core of many NPD facets and he wouldn't function there if he were imo

If someone is NPD the mixture of traits makes it difficult to have long successful relationships due to lack of empathy, need to be centre of attention, control amongst others unless the attached partner is co dependent and lucky. They enable the traits and are often partners of NPD partners until things unravel. A securely attached person doesn't cope nor tolerate a narcissist because their needs aren't net. A co dependent does because their needs are their partners.

Last edited:

Story

Senior List
Apr 17, 2022
AFL Club
Carlton
He's not Borderline. Nor Histrionic, has possibly traits of Antisocial and definitely traits of Narcissistic but I really don't think to diagnostic standard just traits. That's just my opinion on what's on show or can be gleaned which we agree isn't enough

Classic example of NPD and inability to function at all in a team is Trump. He employed only yes men and if they weren't he'd sack them because he couldn't cope being told he was wrong. To reach first grade in NRL team he is able to subjugate his own needs accept criticism to be a disciplined team player. That is incompatible with the core of many NPD facets and he wouldn't function there if he were imo

If someone is NPD the mixture of traits makes it difficult to have long successful relationships due to lack of empathy, need to be centre of attention, control amongst others unless the attached partner is co dependent and lucky. They enable the traits and are often partners of NPD partners until things unravel. A securely attached person doesn't cope nor tolerate a narcissist because their needs aren't net. A co dependent does because their needs are their partners.
Well lets not talk about OJ Simpson's sports career and personality type.
By your own definition cluster B's are capable of long term relationships as long as the partner sticks around. A partner might stick around for a few reasons - I don't think Malania would stay around, for example, if Trump didn't have a bit of cash, hey.

Oh I see what has happened!......I see where you are coming from now with the co-dependancy traits displayed in the relationship (that it's just about Lyn in the 'victim' light, but I have been looking at a different way....I suppose psychology can be tricky like that with wording. How I have been looking at is a personality type that is manipitative etc. themselves and are incapable of healthy relationships due to those traits - (It's kind of the ying and yang of it I suppose).....so I think we are just having a communication misunderstanding because of the different definitions/aspects - Thank goodness for that because I couldn't understand how you thought that Lyn was being manipulative.

Last edited:
Back