Current Trial The Teachers Pet Podcast & Chris Dawson's Murder Trial * New Carnal Knowledge Trial

Remove this Banner Ad

Trying to catch up, did we find out who the woman was that rang the swimming pool canteen to ask to speak to CD or did the judge dismiss the call as a fabrication, that there was no call? And what was the outcome of the investigations in to who used the credit card after Lyn went missing to buy womenswear at the strip shops?
There was no call is what the judges decision was as per the credit card usage both lies.

The basis of the evidence was JMs diary entry saying she worked and Col left early. Her diary entry is from January 9. The girl that took the STD call for either Chris or Paul said that Col was there at the time meaning that it might have been at 12 noon at a crossover point or that it occurred on a different day.

My timetable for the day based on evidence and various news articles on or after 2001. This includes some lies.

• 4.09am Bus scheduled at Mona Vale
  • Lyn did washing and prepared the kids lunches prior to being dropped off at 7am at the bus stop in Mona Vale.
  • Chris came home and prepared the kids breakfast.
  • 12 noon Chris starts his shift
  • 12 noon Col the owner leaves
  • 12 noon or after Lyn expected at Northbridge Baths.
  • 2pm Helena Simms arrives at pool
  • Between 2 and 3pm Phil Day arrives.
  • 3pm STD phone call from unknown person.
  • Witness JM with Diary worked 8 - 5.30 at kiosk.
  • Other kiosk girl KB took STD call for either Chris or Paul in either January or February 1982.
  • Phil Day drives Helena Sims, Shanelle and Sherryn to the Simms’ residence in Cloverly.
The children were taken home on Sunday 10th.

HIS HONOUR: The question asked you whether he was there. Is it your recollection that he was present near you when you took the phone call or do you understand that he was there working at the baths but not close to the location where you took the call or what is the position?
A. My recollection is that he was standing very close to either Chris or Paul who I called over to take the phone call, and they were talking together."
34. JM said she had no memory of working with CB. JM kept a diary at the time. Her entry for 9 January 1982 contains the following notation:
“Saturday 1982 Worked in shop 8 – 5.30 didn’t get any money because, as usual, Col left at 12.00 and Chris Dawson never pays.”

748-749 from the decision
748. Thirdly, Mr Dawson told lies to suggest that Lynette Dawson was still alive. She had phoned him at Northbridge Baths. She had phoned him on a number of occasions thereafter. He had received bankcard statements indicating that she made purchases in the local area after she disappeared.

749. I pause to observe that, as I have earlier indicated, Mr Dawson is the sole author of this evidence. As anticipated, I am only able to reject this evidence upon a consideration of all of the evidence in this case. Part of that evidence has led me to conclude that Lynette Dawson was dead by no later than 9 January 1982. That conclusion supports my rejection of the evidence that she was using a credit card in late January.

Again, looking at some of the stuff I've read and in particular the logs of phone calls between Chris and his brother. Is there no notion that either Paul himself was the perpetrator or was an accomplice that Chris would not throw under the bus?

The phone call mentioned at the baths where witnesses claimed that CD appeared to be dejected or flat after the phone call, who's to say that in some sort of made-for-television script that that phone call was Paul letting Chris know that his attempts to tell LD to bugger off out of CDs life took a turn for the worse and he accidently killed her and needed CDs help to cover it up?

Without going and reading 200 pages of the verdict and more (again, late comer to the party here but was enthralled in the very late stages of the trial) it does seem that there is an opinion that can be formed but whether it is 100% "beyond reasonable doubt" seems to be dubious somewhat
In his and Marilyn's statement from 1999 they said they were away at the time. I believe it was a caravan park at
Lake Munmorah.

434 in decision "It will be recalled that Paul and Marilyn Dawson travelled to Lake Munmorah in early January 1982 and remained there for about one week."

Listened to 13 last night, imo the best one. It covered the inquest and Joanne's testimony. Chris, Paul and Marilyn refused to show up but the brother Peter as the lawyer was there clashing with witnesses and the coroner. Hard to believe they, and I think Paul at least might know the whole story of what happened to Lyn, have got away with it for so long.
It will be interesting to see how much of 91 minute long Episode 13 - "The System" of the Teacher's Pet, makes it into the revised Episode 13 with the relaunch of the Teacher's Pet series, once they get around to editing and publishing the new version for Australian listeners. (probably not for another 6 weeks or so)

Especially the the detailed account from "Kate" an ex-student (boarder 1998-2002) of his who claimed that Chris Dawson ("Dawso") appeared to be grooming her whole class of 13 year old girls at the all girls day/boarders St Ursula's College (A private school), Yeppoon QLD (from 1998), and her discussion with Chris Dawson on domestic violence.

'Dawson ‘snapped as student asked why men hurt wives’'

HEDLEY THOMAS

12:00AM AUGUST 13, 2018

A former student of murder suspect Chris Dawson has told of his bizarre outburst in a central Queensland classroom after a general question about domestic violence.

Kate Erwin said Mr Dawson — her teacher at St Ursula’s College in Yeppoon — exploded with anger when she asked him to explain why men hurt their wives.

“He just snapped,” Ms Erwin said. “He smashed his fists on the table and I remember his neck being strained because he yelled so loud and seeing the veins on his neck come up. He was infuriated and he said, ‘I don’t know. Why, why would I know?’ ”

Mr Dawson began working at St Ursula’s in 1998, the same year Ms Erwin arrived at the all-girls school as a 13-year-old boarder.

Ms Erwin said “Dawso”, as he was known to pupils, paid a lot of attention to impressionable young girls at St Ursula’s. “He wanted to be our friend, not our teacher, and he made that clear,” she said.'

“In Year 8, he was seeking me out. He was the cool guy, the fun guy. He wanted to build rapport. He was literally grooming the entire class, that’s how I saw it.”

Ms Erwin, 33, who operates a motel and fashion boutique at Miles, on the Darling Downs, said girls at her school were meant to wear one-piece bathing suits.

“He didn’t care and would let things slide. Everyone’s getting around in their bikinis … climbing on his shoulders with their legs wrapped around his head, wrestling with each other in the surf. It was making my skin crawl.”

Ms Erwin recalled exercises on the beach where Mr Dawson could “see straight down everyone’s pants”. When an older man walked past, he had commented on his privilege of being a teacher.

She recalls Mr Dawson saying: “You can imagine all of these men here think I’m the luckiest man alive.”

The outburst in response to her question about domestic violence occurred in 2000, when she was in a Year 10 personal development class, she said.'

'The charming devil and his missing wife'
March 2, 2003 — 11.00am'

'Chris Dawson has been put on "light duties" and removed from
contact with pupils in his teaching job at St Ursula's College, a private girls' school in Yeppoon, Queensland.'

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how much of 91 minute long Episode 13 - "The System" of the Teacher's Pet, makes it into the revised Episode 13 with the relaunch of the Teacher's Pet series, once they get around to editing and publishing the new version for Australian listeners. (probably not for another 6 weeks or so)

Especially the the detailed account from "Kate" an ex-student (boarder 1998-1992) of his who claimed that Chris Dawson ("Dawso") appeared to be grooming her whole class of 13 year old girls at the all girls day/boarders St Ursula's College (A private school), Yeppoon QLD (from 1998), and her discussion with Chris Dawson on domestic violence.

'Dawson ‘snapped as student asked why men hurt wives’'

HEDLEY THOMAS

12:00AM AUGUST 13, 2018

A former student of murder suspect Chris Dawson has told of his bizarre outburst in a central Queensland classroom after a general question about domestic violence.

Kate Erwin said Mr Dawson — her teacher at St Ursula’s College in Yeppoon — exploded with anger when she asked him to explain why men hurt their wives.

“He just snapped,” Ms Erwin said. “He smashed his fists on the table and I remember his neck being strained because he yelled so loud and seeing the veins on his neck come up. He was infuriated and he said, ‘I don’t know. Why, why would I know?’ ”

Mr Dawson began working at St Ursula’s in 1998, the same year Ms Erwin arrived at the all-girls school as a 13-year-old boarder.

Ms Erwin said “Dawso”, as he was known to pupils, paid a lot of attention to impressionable young girls at St Ursula’s. “He wanted to be our friend, not our teacher, and he made that clear,” she said.'

“In Year 8, he was seeking me out. He was the cool guy, the fun guy. He wanted to build rapport. He was literally grooming the entire class, that’s how I saw it.”

Ms Erwin, 33, who operates a motel and fashion boutique at Miles, on the Darling Downs, said girls at her school were meant to wear one-piece bathing suits.

“He didn’t care and would let things slide. Everyone’s getting around in their bikinis … climbing on his shoulders with their legs wrapped around his head, wrestling with each other in the surf. It was making my skin crawl.”

Ms Erwin recalled exercises on the beach where Mr Dawson could “see straight down everyone’s pants”. When an older man walked past, he had commented on his privilege of being a teacher.

She recalls Mr Dawson saying: “You can imagine all of these men here think I’m the luckiest man alive.”

The outburst in response to her question about domestic violence occurred in 2000, when she was in a Year 10 personal development class, she said.'

'The charming devil and his missing wife'
March 2, 2003 — 11.00am'

'Chris Dawson has been put on "light duties" and removed from
contact with pupils in his teaching job at St Ursula's College, a private girls' school in Yeppoon, Queensland.'

After the 2001 inquest students were all in favour of Chris and Paul. The Courier Mail article by Hedley Thomas called Looking for Lyn interviews students. I have removed names of students and put initials since some of the students were underage at the time. I wonder how these students would see things now.

"Chris and Paul Dawson's Gold Coast and Yeppoon teaching peers, as well as current and former students, have not read the
statements of dozens of witnesses interviewed by police.
But several emphasised to The Courier-Mail their absolute belief in the integrity of both teachers. "I am sickened by the fact that yet again an innocent man is accused of committing a nefarious crime," says NC, the 2000 school captain of St Ursula's College in
Yeppoon. "When this has all blown over, and it is seen that Mr Dawson never had any intention of hiring a hit-man
to kill his first wife, I hope the public realises that the lives and reputations of innocent people have been ruined by
others lying. "I would like to finish by saying that if there were more people like Mr Dawson in this world, the world
would be a better place." SH, a former student at Coombabah State High where the Dawson
brothers taught together, says she believes every student from the school would defend them. "I don't believe a
word of any of it. I just can't accept what's being said," says SH, now studying pharmacy at the University of
Queensland. KC, a Year 11 student at St Ursula's, says: "Our entire school loves Mr Dawson and his
easygoing funloving attitude towards sport. He always encourages everyone to have a go."

No mention of this cardigan in the Chris Dawson murder trial Judgement document.
But i just found this on the cardigan and DNA from an archived only version of a 2013 article.

'Police and an anthropologist dug up a small area in the Dawson's back yard in 2002, 21 years after the event. They found a women's jumper in five pieces, the jumper clearly showed it had been slashed and stabbed 16 times.
DNA proved to be female blood but it was too contaminated to make a positive match with Lyn Dawson.'

'A PE teacher at Cromer high school on Sydney's Northern Beaches he'd begun a steamy relationship with a student'
[JC]

Too contaminated because of a bit of an oops during the DNA testing process, or during storage?

Does this evidence artefact still exist?
Or did it get lost?

Side note: A steamy relationship? :oops:

The Courier Mail article by Hedley Thomas called Looking for Lyn interviews students.

The 2003 Australian Story episode called "Looking for Lyn" transcript, is no longer available where it used to be.

But it's still up here. Although it is not a Hedley Thomas one and does not have the info you posted. Must be 2 with the same name.

Last edited:
The 2003 Australian Story episode called "Looking for Lyn" transcript, is no longer available where it used to be.

But it's still up here. Although it is not a Hedley Thomas one and does not have the info you posted. Must be 2 with the same name.

It was a newspaper article I referenced not the Australian Story episode Looking for Lyn. Parts of this Australian story episode were also in an episode in 10 September 2018 which I think has been taken down.
Not sure where I saw it or if it has already been posted here but the Australian Story on Monday will be another Lyn Dawson story.

When I was a young 17 year old I did office work for a plumbing firm and one of the plumbers had spent time in jail.

He told me if I ever find myself in jail do whatever you can to get a job in the kitchen. Tell them you've worked in hospitality or whatever it takes. When I asked why he said everyone in prison knows not to mess with anyone who works in the kitchen because they can then seriously mess with you.

Thankfully I've never needed to use his advice!
True, but they also have access to knives in the kitchen. Pretty sure this is what happened to ex riverland policemen Tilly who interestingly enough was in prison for sex with a minor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris Dawson dropped his bail application this morning.

Maybe by staying in jail, prior to sentencing, him and his legal team think they can better demonstrate and showcase his health issues, that will be used to attempt to reduce the severity of the sentence, and for other beneficial to him reasons like where he will be housed, and the treatment and restrictions he will receive.

'Chris Dawson will remain behind bars as he waits to learn his fate over the murder of his wife after he dropped a bail application on Thursday.
Just two days after being found guilty of his wife Lynette’s murder in January 1982, Dawson, 74, on Thursday appeared before the NSW Supreme Court where he was expected to apply to be freed on bail while he awaits sentencing proceedings.

He was brought into court wearing prison greens and a blue face mask as his lawyer Greg Walsh said he would not make a bail application.'
It's nearly unheard of for a convicted murder to get bail...

Again, looking at some of the stuff I've read and in particular the logs of phone calls between Chris and his brother. Is there no notion that either Paul himself was the perpetrator or was an accomplice that Chris would not throw under the bus?

The phone call mentioned at the baths where witnesses claimed that CD appeared to be dejected or flat after the phone call, who's to say that in some sort of made-for-television script that that phone call was Paul letting Chris know that his attempts to tell LD to bugger off out of CDs life took a turn for the worse and he accidently killed her and needed CDs help to cover it up?

Without going and reading 200 pages of the verdict and more (again, late comer to the party here but was enthralled in the very late stages of the trial) it does seem that there is an opinion that can be formed but whether it is 100% "beyond reasonable doubt" seems to be dubious somewhat
Paul was on a holiday with his wife Marilyn at the time of the alleged murder so doubt he was involved... except he could well be involved in the cover-up.

Trying to catch up, did we find out who the woman was that rang the swimming pool canteen to ask to speak to CD or did the judge dismiss the call as a fabrication, that there was no call? And what was the outcome of the investigations in to who used the credit card after Lyn went missing to buy womenswear at the strip shops?

I think that the call was not genuinely from Lyn. (Edit - The judge dismissed the calls as not having happened)It could quite conceivably have been JC ringing as Chris had urged her to - and he pretended it was Lyn. As to the credit cards - not sure.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Why didn't his current wife attend the court trial?
In one of the Teachers Trial Podcasts they said they were separated. Possibly since the change in bail conditions. They seem to still talk because he wanted his lawyer to tell his wife.

They were also seen shopping together a few weeks before the trial. I think they separated in December 2020 and bail conditions were changed about that time.

the Australian Story on Monday will be another Lyn Dawson story.

Here's a lengthy lead-in article with a few spoilers for tonight's ABC TV Australian Story episode on Lyn.

Last edited:
Here's a lengthy lead-in article full of spoilers for tonight's ABC TV Australian Story episode on Lyn.

Not too many spoilers. It is a rehash at the previous two Australian Story episodes with addition of the current trial and comments from that. It has added a narration by ABC Court Reporter Jamelle Welles and Ruby Cornish.

If CD was approx 33 in 1982 when Lyn disappeared, in 1998, he would have been close to 50? Is my Maths correct?

If so, he just got sicker, more depraved and disgusting with each passing year.
If a approx 16 age gap was bad enough with JC, in 1998, he was 37 years older than his students!

I think he would have been married to his 3rd wife by 1998.
The mind boggles actually…..how many more potential victims are there of this evil predator? What was he capable of?

There is an interesting story about the backstory for the Australian Story episodes on Lyn Dawson.

Hedley Thomas attended and reported on the 2001 Inquest and wrote the article "Looking for Lyn". What I didn't know was that Hedley Thomas had actually suggested the producer to feature Lyn.

"The first Australian Story program, Looking for Lyn, came about after a journalist from The Australian, Hedley Thomas, whose fascination with the case later inspired the award-winning hit podcast The Teacher's Pet, called then-executive producer of Australian Story Deb Fleming and urged her to feature it on the program."

The producer Wendy Page came out of retirement to produce this final episode.

The number of long term journalists on this case is rather interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back