Current Trial The Teachers Pet Podcast & Chris Dawson's Murder Trial * New Carnal Knowledge Trial

Remove this Banner Ad

Caught up to the last two episodes, has certainly picked up. I wonder how many more podcast Hedley Thomas has planned?

It sounded like he had 8 or 9 planned at the start, but with so many people coming forward it's probably going to stretch out to 14 or 15 at the least. We're only just halfway through Chris's 91 statement, we still have Loome's 98 investigation and Joanne interview as well as the coronial inquests to get through and that's not including anything new that comes up between now and then.

Most interesting thing in the last episode were that a couple of female teachers were also responsible for underage sex on the North Shore.

Would like to know what the other accusation Joanne made in their dispute in the family court is though.

Most interesting thing in the last episode were that a couple of female teachers were also responsible for underage sex on the North Shore.

Would like to know what the other accusation Joanne made in their dispute in the family court is though.

Saw something few weeks ago at a private school sports match, this team was away so things were probably a bit loose but the touchy feely body language between this female teacher and a male student about 15/16yo was skin crawly. She was probably in her late twenties. I walked past and gave her the look, they were out of line on something else anyway.

So, it probably still goes on but hope it's nothing like that at Cromer where it's starting to look like students were a smorgasbord.

Saw something few weeks ago at a private school sports match, this team was away so things were probably a bit loose but the touchy feely body language between this female teacher and a male student about 15/16yo was skin crawly. She was probably in her late twenties. I walked past and gave her the look, they were out of line on something else anyway.

So, it probably still goes on but hope it's nothing like that at Cromer where it's starting to look like students were a smorgasbord.

As a teacher, I've noticed more of that between female teachers and male students. The Male teachers who do it are a little more discreet about it, possibly because people are on the lookout for it more than with female teachers.

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United

My money would be on her accusing him of abusing the kids.

My money would be on her accusing him of abusing the kids.

I think it might be something like that as well. Seems to have become extremely nasty but Joanne has also been accused of treating the older girl in particular, it's suggested because she looked like her Mum quite harshly.

Horrible. Poor kids.

Chunky09

Premiership Player
Jul 8, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond

It sounded like she might accuse him of saying he killed his first wife. But I’m purely speculating, unreal story and well put together podcast

Hit four million downloads yesterday.

Former students of Sydney’s Cromer high school stepped forward in unison at a meeting on the northern beaches yesterday and wrote down names of teachers involved in alleged sex assaults or relationships with pupils.

“They have named over and again the same teachers,” former Cromer vice-captain Robyn Wheeler said.

Detectives from the NSW sex crimes squad and the northern beaches police area command have set up Strike Force Southwood to investigate, with allegations extending to teachers from nearby schools.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/po...k=0a33d7ffe78aa619e32fb2fce6b012ad-1532921379

GreyBudgie

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2008
New Town
Other Teams
Glenorchy, Arsenal,
Very Harrowing Listening to the first part of episode 11, regarding these teachers of Cromer High school of the late 1970’s and Early 1980’s

One would only hope that after a Justice is done and those guilty do time, even late in life for ruining young people’s lives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would there be a statute of limitations on those crimes?

My understanding in NSW is that summary or lesser offences yes but indictable offences, no there's no statute of limitations even if they may be harder to prosecute / prove over the passage of time.

Hedley must be so chuffed, his pod's more popular than Oprah!

"The Teacher’s Pet
, the investigative podcast series by The Australian, has reached No 1 on the US iTunes podcast charts.

The top ranking put the series ahead of Oprah’s Masterclass and The Joe Rogan Experience on the overall charts last night.

There have been 1.3 million downloads in the US alone, with total downloads reaching six million overnight."

FTY1

All Australian
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Hedley must be so chuffed, his pod's more popular than Oprah!

"The Teacher’s Pet
, the investigative podcast series by The Australian, has reached No 1 on the US iTunes podcast charts.

The top ranking put the series ahead of Oprah’s Masterclass and The Joe Rogan Experience on the overall charts last night.

There have been 1.3 million downloads in the US alone, with total downloads reaching six million overnight."
When it hit 5 million they were saying in the last episode there were more downloads from outside Australia than in Australia.

There is a great map of the interconnections between the characters here.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/the-teachers-pet/cast-of-characters

Not sure if I missed it but I wonder if Marilyn knew Paul had an affair with one of his ex students before this pod?

Further on though, the police interview with Marilyn was really hard to listen to. Anybody else get the impression Paul and Marilyn didn't like Lyn and that Marilyn's first priority was keeping her marriage together above all else? Or dominated, that she might have forged Lyn's signature on insurance documents?

Also struck me how slick Chris was in police interviews, a very casually accomplished liar like it's second nature. It had me wondering if he's that smart he's keeping attention on their old house as being where Lyn is buried by calling in and asking inappropriate questions about what landscaping's been done and where the digging is. Lyn's not there, she's buried on Paul's property up the road?

They could get the cadaver dogs out to go over Paul's property imo.

Also struck me how slick Chris was in police interviews, a very casually accomplished liar like it's second nature. It had me wondering if he's that smart he's keeping attention on their old house as being where Lyn is buried by calling in and asking inappropriate questions about what landscaping's been done and where the digging is. Lyn's not there, she's buried on Paul's property up the road?

They could get the cadaver dogs out to go over Paul's property imo.

The timeline's interesting. It seems that Paul and Marilyn were away camping when Lyn disappeared. Did they return before Chris went to get Joanne, which was only a couple of days after Lyn was last seen? If they got back before Chris did that, it's more likely that she could be at Paul's place. It would be much harder to move the body without Joanne knowing if it happened after she was brought back to the property by Chris.

On top of that, when Chris was returning to the property to check up on it, he wasn't even a suspect in her disappearance - he was sniffing around in the 80s, whereas he wasn't interviewed properly until the early 90s. He'd have to have a lot of foresight to be doing somehting like you're suggesting.

On top of that, when Chris was returning to the property to check up on it, he wasn't even a suspect in her disappearance - he was sniffing around in the 80s, whereas he wasn't interviewed properly until the early 90s. He'd have to have a lot of foresight to be doing somehting like you're suggesting.

I think he did. Officially not a suspect but he lied his way through a police interview in 1982. He must have heard people thought he'd killed her? That sooner or later when Lyn never returned the police would come under some pressure to have a harder look at him. He's a guy with a well established history of lying, concealing and creating diversions.

imo.

Listened to 13 last night, imo the best one. It covered the inquest and Joanne's testimony. Chris, Paul and Marilyn refused to show up but the brother Peter as the lawyer was there clashing with witnesses and the coroner. Hard to believe they, and I think Paul at least might know the whole story of what happened to Lyn, have got away with it for so long.

FTY1

All Australian
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Listened to 13 last night, imo the best one. It covered the inquest and Joanne's testimony. Chris, Paul and Marilyn refused to show up but the brother Peter as the lawyer was there clashing with witnesses and the coroner. Hard to believe they, and I think Paul at least might know the whole story of what happened to Lyn, have got away with it for so long.
I have never seen anywhere else where a police officer has been accused of having an affair with the victim. Distraction IMO from there being a full investigation. I had read Hedley Thomas' report after the inquest from 2001 which he attended. Describes Damian Loone's testimony as harrowing.

I am sure in a trial there would have been a few objections to that treatment.

I had seen several reports of the cut up cardigan believed to have belonged to Lyn. Never had I head reference to possible "stab" marks on it only cut marks.

I had seen several reports of the cut up cardigan believed to have belonged to Lyn. Never had I head reference to possible "stab" marks on it only cut marks.

Bit shocked here at how adamant that detective was, they might test the cardigan again under current advanced DNA techniques.

less than zero

Team Captain
Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I started listening to this podcast a couple of days ago, I'm on to episode 6 and think it's amazing.

Anyway, I was telling my partner and mentioned Cromer High, he said "isn't that where Peter Scott taught?" He was our neighbor here near Byron Bay who was convicted of 13 counts of sexual abuse against five boys in 2014 of offenses that he committed in the 1980's at Cromer High School!

Good to see justice being served on at least one of them, but it looks like it was a free for all in the 80's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back