Current Trial The Teachers Pet Podcast & Chris Dawson's Murder Trial * New Carnal Knowledge Trial

FTY1

All Australian
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Is it forensically established that this cardigan is blood soaked and riddled with knife marks? Or is it a case of a cardigan spending more than a decade disintegrating under ground?

I really hope she’s there. Because if she’s not, and the place is dug, you can imagine what Defence counsel will make of it

2013 news on this case youtube 7mins

Metic posted this earlier about 3.46 is the filming of the dig in 2000. This was before both the Inquests that determined there was not enough information to prosecute. There was minute amount of DNA from my understanding it was mitochondrial DNA (the type you inherit from your mother), not the type you can use on an ancestry site. The DNA was not Lyn Dawsons. Hedley Thomas had an expert look over the cardigan, I can't remember whether it was just from pictures which I think is most likely and the expert suggested they could be stab marks. If it was used it would be only as an additional piece of evidence not the clincher.

I mentioned the cardigan because it was suspicious not because it would be used for evidence.

It's well worth a watch and quite interesting to see given its pre all the pod cast hype.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Metic posted this earlier about 3.46 is the filming of the dig in 2000. This was before both the Inquests that determined there was not enough information to prosecute. There was minute amount of DNA from my understanding it was mitochondrial DNA (the type you inherit from your mother), not the type you can use on an ancestry site. The DNA was not Lyn Dawsons. Hedley Thomas had an expert look over the cardigan, I can't remember whether it was just from pictures which I think is most likely and the expert suggested they could be stab marks. If it was used it would be only as an additional piece of evidence not the clincher.

I mentioned the cardigan because it was suspicious not because it would be used for evidence.

It's well worth a watch and quite interesting to see given its pre all the pod cast hype.
Mitochondrial DNA is DNA that's separate to the DNA found on the chromosomes and FTY1 is correct that you inherit it only from your mother. However, rather than this DNA giving a (example) 1 in 10 billion chance of it being anyone other than a particular person the mtDNA will still narrow the field to anyone, male or female, from that female lineage, so it's still useful, to a degree.

pressurepoint

Senior List
Dec 24, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton

I've finished the podcast now and listened to the discussion on the cartigan, and the most recent dig. So she's not there, which is damaging to a prosecution.

Has anyone ever tried to locate/identify the lady in the Antiques Roadshow? Given the podcast's popularity in the UK there's a good chance of that woman being identified. She does look like Lynette Dawson

Chris Dawson could be stripped of Lyn's estate even if he's not convicted. Good, it all should go to her children.

When Lyn vanished in January 1982, leaving behind two daughters aged four and two, the couple jointly owned a property at Bayview on Sydney’s northern beaches, where they had built a house and pool.

The following year, with Lyn still missing, Mr Dawson formally sought a property settlement in court, saying she had abandoned her family and home.

All of Lyn’s assets, including her share of the Bayview property, were transferred to Mr Dawson’s name in 1984.

He sold the home that year and moved to Queensland with his new partner, his former student Joanne Curtis.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/po...e/news-story/80faa45144da419e1382dd2d2f387040

FTY1

All Australian
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Chris Dawson could be stripped of Lyn's estate even if he's not convicted. Good, it all should go to her children.

When Lyn vanished in January 1982, leaving behind two daughters aged four and two, the couple jointly owned a property at Bayview on Sydney’s northern beaches, where they had built a house and pool.

The following year, with Lyn still missing, Mr Dawson formally sought a property settlement in court, saying she had abandoned her family and home.

All of Lyn’s assets, including her share of the Bayview property, were transferred to Mr Dawson’s name in 1984.

He sold the home that year and moved to Queensland with his new partner, his former student Joanne Curtis.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/po...e/news-story/80faa45144da419e1382dd2d2f387040

It makes everything a bit confusing over 30 years later since the "property settlement". The property at 2 Gilwinga Drive was sold, there was a property bought near Dreamworld, a divorce and property settlement with Joanne, a property at Runaway Bay (which may have changed into an investment property where the Today Show found him about the time of the dig) and then Mt Coolum which presumably would have been with his current wife.

It makes everything a bit confusing over 30 years later since the "property settlement". The property at 2 Gilwinga Drive was sold, there was a property bought near Dreamworld, a divorce and property settlement with Joanne, a property at Runaway Bay (which may have changed into an investment property where the Today Show found him about the time of the dig) and then Mt Coolum which presumably would have been with his current wife.

I wonder how he's going to fund his defence, there might not a whole lot left.

The Age today. We'll hear Monday if he gets bail.

The bail application in Central Local Court on Friday heard that Mr Dawson told his wife “If this doesn’t work, I’m going to get rid of you” at a marriage counselling session just prior to Lynette’s disappearance in 1982.

“She didn't collect her last pay cheque, she left contact lenses at home, she didn't pursue a $130 pre-paid ophthalmology appointment. Her clothes were left at home, all of them. She didn't drive, she didn't have a licence, she hasn't left via an international point of departure, she hasn't been to a doctor,” Mr Everson said.

Numerous sightings of Lynette since she disappeared in February 1982, as well as the use of her bank cards and phone calls that Mr Dawson claimed were from her after she went missing undermine the Crown's case, Mr Walsh argued.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...-going-to-get-rid-of-you-20181214-p50mc5.html

FTY1

All Australian
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
GWS

The bail application in Central Local Court on Friday heard that Mr Dawson told his wife “If this doesn’t work, I’m going to get rid of you” at a marriage counselling session just prior to Lynette’s disappearance in 1982.

“She didn't collect her last pay cheque, she left contact lenses at home, she didn't pursue a $130 pre-paid ophthalmology appointment. Her clothes were left at home, all of them. She didn't drive, she didn't have a licence, she hasn't left via an international point of departure, she hasn't been to a doctor,” Mr Everson said.

Numerous sightings of Lynette since she disappeared in February 1982, as well as the use of her bank cards and phone calls that Mr Dawson claimed were from her after she went missing undermine the Crown's case, Mr Walsh argued.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...-going-to-get-rid-of-you-20181214-p50mc5.html
Maybe he might get mates rates!

http://www.gregwalsh.com.au/history/

" 2002

Awarded a Medal of the Order of Australia for service to the legal profession, and to the community, particularly through the provision of pro bono legal services."

he got bail.

FTY1

All Australian
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Not surprising he got bail given it’s sure to be an almost entirely circumstantial case and the lack of any previous convictions. Surely he has to go Judge only in the trial
I personally don't think it has anything to do with it being circumstantial. The DPP says there is enough evidence to go to trial.

While he is charged with murder, it is more about whether he is a threat to the community.

" "Magistrate Williams said he was satisfied the 70-year-old would not pose an unacceptable risk to the community, considering he has no previous criminal history.

"While murder is the most serious offence, refusal of bail is not to be deemed a punishment … the applicant is not to be punished before a conviction," he said."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12...-after-charged-with-wife-lyns-murder/10627372

1.5 million dollar bail. That seems pretty excessive but I don't know the ins and outs of bail conditions.

I think he has to report to the local station everyday, and not go more than 20km from his home.

FTY1

All Australian
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Another podcast has started on Lyn Dawson from the Real Crime Profile podcast series. https://www.realcrimeprofile.com/ The first episode occurred a few days ago on the 37th anniversary of her disappearance. The podcast is probably an extension of Hedley's podcast, with further analysis.

Sep 20, 2007
Dungeon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Can't be worse than what the Teacher's Pet podcast has descended into. Hedley's last 2 podcasts on the dig and then the arrest were terrible listening. Just a mish mash of sound bites from previous participants on what their views are on proceedings. Just padding. And if I hear him say "The Soft Soil" or "A Lovely Drink" one more time I think I will put my fist through my screen.

Can't be worse than what the Teacher's Pet podcast has descended into. Hedley's last 2 podcasts on the dig and then the arrest were terrible listening. Just a mish mash of sound bites from previous participants on what their views are on proceedings. Just padding. And if I hear him say "The Soft Soil" or "A Lovely Drink" one more time I think I will put my fist through my screen.

Guilty of hitting the forward button so much through the last two that I think I missed most of it. The psychic section I skipped too.

FTY1

All Australian
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
To be fair to Hedley with regard to the investigation and the last 2 podcasts, a lot of us at the time had followed the story of the dig and the arrest. The story of the dig was not news to any of us and was repeating what had been heard in the media. If someone overseas or new were to listen to the podcast in years to come without the background, it completes the story.

Sep 20, 2007
Dungeon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
To be fair to Hedley with regard to the investigation and the last 2 podcasts, a lot of us at the time had followed the story of the dig and the arrest. The story of the dig was not news to any of us and was repeating what had been heard in the media. If someone overseas or new were to listen to the podcast in years to come without the background, it completes the story.

Fair if it was a recap. But it was over an hour of mostly him getting the hot takes on how everyone in the extended family was feeling and having his ego stroked.

FTY1

All Australian
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02...r-allegations/10810384?WT.ac=localnews_sydney

Chris Dawson appeared in Court today.
- Bail Conditions changed before Court Appearances
- Defence want to use Helena's diary as evidence
- "The court was told 4,500 pages of material had been given to Mr Dawson's legal team, but police were still struggling to sort through 100 gigabytes of documents, audio files and videos."
- Hedley accused of contaminating evidence
-Next Appearance May 9

Looks like Defence is trying to discredit Hedley since he is a witness. Helena's diary was based on Chris's comments which somehow make it a bit unreliable.

Quotes from the article below.
"Before Christmas, when Mr Dawson was granted bail, he was ordered to live with his wife Susan at their house on the Sunshine Coast, report to police daily, surrender his passport and not go overseas.

The changes mean he can now fly interstate for legal appointments but must give police 48-hours' notice, and can travel 25 kilometres from his home instead of 20."

"He well knew that police were reinvestigating this very serious matter and he interviewed witnesses in the full knowledge that they had previously been actual witnesses in the [two previous] inquests, and he knew the risk of contaminating them and affecting the reliability of the evidence," Mr Walsh said.

The case will return to court on May 9.

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
First this.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/bu...d/news-story/95a41d5a0a5f727ce08d817dcd0fc290
Judge wants online reports relating to case removed.
12:00AM APRIL 15, 2019

News reports that have been available online for years would need to be removed from media websites if publishers agree to a request they received on Friday from the NSW Supreme Court.
The request, from judge Elizabeth Fullerton, would have the effect of imposing significant costs on the media and is aimed at ensuring past news reports do not adversely affect a high-profile criminal trial that is due to start next month.

That trial is already affected by a suppression order that the judge issued on April 3 that prevents publication of “any information concerning the evidence” in that case. The judge went further last week and asked the NSW Director of Public Prosecutions to write to media outlets after one of the parties asked her last month to issue a stay order that would prevent the trial going ahead until certain material had been taken down from media websites.

Instead of issuing take-down orders, the judge has issued a “request” to the media for the removal of “any historical references” to the circumstances in which one of the parties came to be charged. The request is outlined in a letter signed by Huw Baker SC, the acting Deputy Director of Public Prosecutions, that says Justice Fullerton has also indicated lawyers for the media “are welcome to attend before her in relation to the above request if they wished to do so”.

His letter says Justice Fullerton had indicated that the purpose of the request was to ensure that pre-trial publicity does not adversely affect the rights of one of the parties at trial.

Last month, after the judge revealed she had been asked to issue a take-down order, media lawyer Peter Bartlett said the media should not be required to bear the cost of complying with such an order when there had been no suggestion that the reporting had been unfair or inaccurate.....

Then this today.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/the-teachers-pet

Special Update Episode
As Chris Dawson's defence team, police and prosecutors work hard to prepare for a murder trial which may be heard some time next year, 2020, the team behind The Teacher's Pet podcast series discloses a new development - taking down the first 16 episodes in Australia, to help ensure Chris gets a fair trial. And Greg Walsh, Chris's experienced lawyer, flags some of the issues and claims which are important to him and the accused.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=356770
The Teacher's Pet
Special Update Episode

The above podcast says that today is the last day to listen to the 16 Teachers Pet podcasts (apart from todays special episode which will remain), until at least after the Dawson trial.

FTY1

All Australian
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
So in future, every time there's someone fronting the court are there going to be suppression orders and take-down orders? It's getting ridiculous.
It also affects historical records. There are news databases that have access via libraries and paid subscriptions. If articles are removed from these databases then they are never returned after the case is over, even if the case results in a conviction.

Back