• Djokovic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Laver

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with you that Sampras isn't the man. Federer and Nadal both have passed him by on grand slam wins, even competing against one another (and Novak) during the greatest era of tennis play. Having those three playing at the same time is incredible, as they're each in tennis terms really generational talents. We've been so fortunate in that regard.

I also agree with you that Nadal is without peer on clay. Maybe part of that is today's premier players aren't as comfortable on the surface, but looking through any names historically, there just isn't anyone who has won as decisively as often as he has on the surface. His record is incredible.

As for Rod Laver. I find his case harder to make, though he deserves to be in the conversation. Played with much worse equipment. Played during an era where he didn't have to go past Roger, Rapha and Novak to win. While I've watched tape of him - and he has the all court game - could hit the heck out of the ball with great placement and covered the court. I find it hard to make a case for him when talking about the more modern tennis players, even with updated equipment and assumed comfort with the equipment of a 171cm guy to be able to beat today's champions. My feel for his ability is - his play is something if Federer were 171cm, that's roughly who he would be. And with the increased height (giving the servers of today a great advantage), power, physicality and athletic ability of today's tennis players. I think he'd lose head-to-head against any of those I rated in my top four.

Laver, unless there is someone I've forgotten would probably be my number five all time. Before Sampras and pre 90s he's my top all time tennis player.

They're still playing, so that does make it difficult. Maybe Roger wins another 2-3 Grand Slams for all we know?

Rapha is 31 and Novak is 30, so they can still pile up more grand slam wins, particularly with no young player looking ready to pass them by yet, or at least if they have the lasting power Roger has had.
There is serious generational bias at play here... The complete lack of Ivan Lendl in your discussion shows it. Lendl played in an era where there was Connors, MCEnroe, Borg, Becker. There was actually a greater spread of elite talent competition back then than the Federer/Nadal/Djokovic era you talk of. Lendl redefined the way tennis was played. Ironically he wasted many years trying to become what he wasn't (a serve volleyer); as the rest of the tennis world copied his original basic style and gameplan that made him so great... the modern power tennis of Federer and Djokovic is very much based on Lendl's style. Nadal is more like Borg or Connors on steroids.
The lack of Wimbledon titles is no justification for his exclusion, given his numerous other grass titles and wider record and impact on the sport.

There is serious generational bias at play here... The complete lack of Ivan Lendl in your discussion shows it. Lendl played in an era where there was Connors, MCEnroe, Borg, Becker. There was actually a greater spread of elite talent competition back then than the Federer/Nadal/Djokovic era you talk of. Lendl redefined the way tennis was played. Ironically he wasted many years trying to become what he wasn't (a serve volleyer); as the rest of the tennis world copied his original basic style and gameplan that made him so great... the modern power tennis of Federer and Djokovic is very much based on Lendl's style. Nadal is more like Borg or Connors on steroids.
The lack of Wimbledon titles is no justification for his exclusion, given his numerous other grass titles and wider record and impact on the sport.

If you did a top 10. Who would you come up with?

I'd be interested to know if you have any of those equal or ahead of Federer/Nadal/Djokovic who are my top 3.

If you did a top 10. Who would you come up with?

I'd be interested to know if you have any of those equal or ahead of Federer/Nadal/Djokovic who are my top 3.
Obviously its justjmy ranking but I am at least not basing this solely on grand slam wins and generational bias... Taking into account a variety of factors such win ratios, tournaments won, ranking achievements, period and extent of dominance, impact on the game, quality of contemporaries and longevity:

1. Federer. 2. Sampras 3. Lendl 4. Laver 5. Connors 6. Nadal 7. Borg 8. Djokovic 9. Becker 10. McEnroe/Agassi

Becker for example changed the game with his use of the second serve ... Going for it as a weapon rather than just a point starter. I rate that as an accomplishment and it elevates him onto the list despite fewer grand slam wins.

Back