Arts & Humanities The Things That Make You Sad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

My mate's old man died last night. 101, bloody good knock by a top bloke. RIP Max.

ai451-photobucket-com_albums_qq238_krialynne_emoticons_candle-gif.41142

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All these one punch victims, that latest one in Canberra makes me sick.

These idiots should be charged with murder. Sick of seeing the light sentences they get- IIRC I think there is a minimum 10 years they can get now? Still not enough.

These idiots should be charged with murder. Sick of seeing the light sentences they get- IIRC I think there is a minimum 10 years they can get now? Still not enough.
Are we sure they're not being charged with murder?

Is it only manslaughter?

Because it should be murder.

Are we sure they're not being charged with murder?

Is it only manslaughter?

Because it should be murder.

Nah I don't think they can be charged with murder because with murder there needs to be premeditation and the intent to kill? They could argue they punched them but did not intend to kill them.

Still imo bad luck- with all the awareness around "one punch can kill" etc you'd have to be a complete moron to be unaware.

They deserve 20 years minimum imo. I think even with a manslaughter charge they can still get that.

From the NSW Crimes Act:

'Murder shall be taken to have been committed where the act of the accused, or thing by him or her omitted to be done, causing the death charged, was done or omitted with reckless indifference to human life, or with intent to kill or inflict grievous bodily harm upon some person, or done in an attempt to commit, or during or immediately after the commission, by the accused, or some accomplice with him or her, of a crime...'

Where does coward punching someone sit with respect to that?

Murder / manslaughter is a huge can of worms. IMO as a non-lawyer manslaughter should be for things like crashing your car while speeding or under the influence. Your intent clearly wasn't to harm or kill anyone, but you still broke the law and someone died. If you attack someone then you may not be intending for them to die but if they do I have no issue with that bringing a murder charge.

I think he is. I hope he is.

He has a point, but he's either made it terribly or has an unhealthily skewed perspective.

Everyone likes seeing certain people get what's coming to them. When Anthony Mundine steps into the ring most of the nation want to see his opponent knock his block off. It was no different back when footy was still a contact sport. Everyone loved seeing a dirty player taken out with a big shirtfront.

That being said, no one leaped to the defence of Barry Hall when he KO'd Brent Staker. He's a trained boxer and belted a bloke that wasn't looking.

Yes that's all on field / in ring stuff, but it carries through to everyday life. Violence is childish, but this whole 'one punch / unprovoked attack / man attacked by 5 men' etc. stuff is just dangerous and needs to stop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back