Arts & Humanities The Things That Make You Sad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading a post like this makes me sad.

I've had two teenage stepdaughters - who I love dearly - drift a long way from my wife and I. The older one particularly. At 14 she decided she didn't like our rules (which were perfectly normal I might add) so she left. Went and lived with my wife's sister who, along with the rest of her family, sided with the daughter. It was all my fault, apparently.
I felt pretty f***in low at the time and it has taken years to get things back on track. Even when things had been seemingly smoothed out I was once asked not to go to her 20th birthday dinner based on 'what he'd wear and the s**t he'd talk.' (I dress simply and generally don't talk much when I'm around her). It has been a lot of hard work but it is ok now. The younger one I've always had more of a bond with but it has been tested on occasion. We have a great relationship now.

My advice is just to stick it out. Kids don't forget who loves them, who has been there for them etc. it just sometimes takes a while for them to remember.
Feel free to PM if you ever need to chat.
Thanks. Everything is fine again. I'm getting some help for my mental state and all is good again between my son and i. We had a lovely mother's day yesterday with my Mum.

I felt the same when reading about the Khmer Rouge. I just don't understand how people can treat others in that way, they must not have any empathy whatsoever, it's the only explanation I can give for such acts. :(

It was more common than we realise in the past, and not that far into the past either.

Heck desperate people in some parts of the world now are still like that.

For all the lamenting we do about "the younger generation are getting soft" etc, you've gotta say it's a good thing compared to that.

Thinking that for the next 30 odd years I will be working 40 hours a week

I hear you bro.

Each year when we get our superannuation update pack and there, staring in my face is my official retirement date ....

Thing is, if the future pans out the way many think it will, you may end up being one of the lucky ones.

I was saddened to hear about Chris Cornell this morning. Really had a great voice and was part of the teen soundtrack to many my generation.
Absolutely tragic. Glad I got to see them a couple of times on their last tour here. Layne Stanley, Kurt Cobain & Chris Cornell, no matter how talented you are you can still have your demons.

Thanks. Everything is fine again. I'm getting some help for my mental state and all is good again between my son and i. We had a lovely mother's day yesterday with my Mum.

Reading your previous posts, I can understand being a single parent that you feel a bit abandoned because your son doesn't "need" you anymore, however, he will always need you, but look at it this way, you have done a great job in bringing him up so that he can spread his wings and be independent. It is what kids that age are meant to do.

He will come back as he matures, they all do, and he will always have a special spot for his mum, even if that doesn't seem possible now.

This is now your time, enjoy it, grow your social circles, get involved in things, do a course in something you are even remotely interested in, take up volunteering, anything that appeals to you even slightly, give it a go. It is hard because the last 15 years have been dedicated to raising a child, not being able to do things, now is your time and things will get better.

I had a possibly relationship ending fight with my boyfriend this morning. Went to visit my nana, who has weeks to live, with my mum afterwards. She asked how I was and I said 'not good'. She said 'I know darling, your mum told me. You know what, your grandad and I had our first ever fight this morning' and went on this long story about what they fought about, which was entirely untrue because my grandad died 6 years ago but she has dementia and gets confused, then she gave me a kiss. It felt comforting, even though it wasn't true, and god I am going to miss her when she's gone.

I had a possibly relationship ending fight with my boyfriend this morning. Went to visit my nana, who has weeks to live, with my mum afterwards. She asked how I was and I said 'not good'. She said 'I know darling, your mum told me. You know what, your grandad and I had our first ever fight this morning' and went on this long story about what they fought about, which was entirely untrue because my grandad died 6 years ago but she has dementia and gets confused, then she gave me a kiss. It felt comforting, even though it wasn't true, and god I am going to miss her when she's gone.

The time frame might be wrong but the fight probably wasn't. All the best, I hope you can both work through it if that's what you want. Don't you live together now

The fight with your boyfriend was that bad? What happened?
Just at the end of my tether with him constantly disappointing me and being lazy. When I ask him to do anything that I believe is perfectly reasonable, he thinks I'm bullying him. I can't handle it and I really do think it's over. I'd go into detail but he knows I post here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The time frame might be wrong but the fight probably wasn't. All the best, I hope you can both work through it if that's what you want. Don't you live together now
Thanks OTC, yeah we live together but I'm at my parent's at the moment.

:( sorry to hear that dales.girl38 (re: your Nanna and your relationship), hope you're ok :hearts:
Thanks MWPP, I am struggling to cope with knowing I will soon lose my nana, and am trying to support my mum as well as she is extremely close with her. That is part of life though, unfortunately and I am lucky to have had her.

I saw my boyfriend yesterday when I went home to gather some clothes and things I need to live away from there for a little while. He admitted he'd been a dick and wasn't being fair, and I said that things would need to change if I come back, but he's in a pretty dark place and it'll be hard for things to change quickly. I don't know what's going to happen there, but I don't think he'll fight for me, he is more likely to give up and go further downhill, which I don't want to see happen to him either.

Thanks MWPP, I am struggling to cope with knowing I will soon lose my nana, and am trying to support my mum as well as she is extremely close with her. That is part of life though, unfortunately and I am lucky to have had her.
Hope you/your family are getting lots of love/support at this tough time. Dementia is such a cruel disease :( .

I saw my boyfriend yesterday when I went home to gather some clothes and things I need to live away from there for a little while. He admitted he'd been a dick and wasn't being fair, and I said that things would need to change if I come back, but he's in a pretty dark place and it'll be hard for things to change quickly. I don't know what's going to happen there, but I don't think he'll fight for me, he is more likely to give up and go further downhill, which I don't want to see happen to him either.
I'm glad that he admitted that he wasn't being fair/that you made it clear that things would have to change, but I'm sorry to hear that he's in a dark place / is likely to go further downhill eek. I hope he can find support in/confide in others, and that he doesn't drag you down with him. Spending some time away from there (and more time with your family) should help, but it still sucks :(
PM me anytime if you want to talk about anything, and all the best :hearts:

Took my 6 year old to the eagles vs gws game and the tears welling up in his eyes when it sunk in the eagles were going to lose made me sad. Its a lesson he had to learn though, that if he going to watch and take part in sports you need to deal with losing. Cracking last quarter though

A few of my friends (not close but still see them enough) lost a mate on Saturday. Normally this sort of thing doesn't bother me much as it hasn't directly affected me because I don't know the person.

I think the suddenness of this death though makes it different. Has me questioning what the hell is the point when you can just die all of a sudden despite being perfectly healthy 24 hours prior.

Genuinely feel upset for my friends who knew the person.

Made even worse than one of them has lost two mates suddenly from their year level in the span of 12 months. That just isn't fair.

When people publicly say they've tortured an animal on Facebook, then try to argue that they didn't and use "not as bad as" fallacies to justify their disgusting behaviour.

Are Facebook links allowed here? MEB_? Because this person deserves to be named and shamed.

EDIT: Never mind, this person seemed to have deleted their Facebook account, lol. Nice try bitch, but the RSPCA already have the screenshots necessary.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back