Arts & Humanities The Things That Make You Sad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's stupid, but I've been feeling a bit sad recently that my grandfather's branch of the family is probably going to die out. My dad had one brother, but he and his wife were unable to have kids and had to adopt. My wife is unable to have kids, and my brother is in his 30s and not really interested in a family.

I know that a preoccupation with passing on your genetic material is entirely silly, but it does feel a bit crap that there will be nothing really left of my father and grandfather once my brother and I are gone.
Strange one. Especially as for me it's probably never. I guess you don't miss what you never had but makes it a scary future knowing it's all a bit down hill from here.
Essentially yeah you can do what you want whenever but when things are wrong you are stuffed.
Not saying marriage kids= easy but yeah grass is greener.
Suppose if you're that desperate for your line you could donate but to me that's kind of pointless. Like what's the difference?

Strange one. Especially as for me it's probably never. I guess you don't miss what you never had but makes it a scary future knowing it's all a bit down hill from here.
Essentially yeah you can do what you want whenever but when things are wrong you are stuffed.
Not saying marriage kids= easy but yeah grass is greener.
Suppose if you're that desperate for your line you could donate but to me that's kind of pointless. Like what's the difference?
I’m not sure I fully understand what you’re saying, but it is more about a wider issue of legacy. Our family has been fairly good at recording our history and passing it down.

My dad and grandfather were remarkable men, but with no direct descendants there will be nobody left after my brother and I who is particularly interested in their story or lives. I don’t like the idea that they will be lost to history.

My nanna (mum's mum) is 95 and has dimentia. She is in a home.

My mum went to see her today and she said it was pretty awful. She was moaning and groaning in pain, had no idea who mum was, and could barely keep her eyes open apparently.

She always had this sparkle in her eyes whenever she spoke and mum said that is gone now. I haven't seen her since last Feb and I don't know if I want to given that it might be pretty awful if I do.

Mum said too that she feels too like she's lost her mum and that that's not her mum anymore. Pretty sad.

Are you in favour of Euthanasia? If this was me, I'd probably want it.

But it is so sad to see Grandparents like this. Luckily i have only 2 great last memories of my Nanas. My nana in the nursing home was visited by myself and my bf at the time- and i took along my Geelong scrapbooks to show her. She had dementia, perhaps more the earlier stages, but she knew me and Phil that day. My yia yia- it was that horrendous heatwave of 6-7 days of 40+ degrees (she refused to put air con in the house- she said an open window was her air con- she greek, she's tough)- but for some reason I still got my mother + aunty together and visited her early in the morning- 2 days before she died. Obviously tho she was ok and lived alone up until then. She was seeing things tho- like she thought men were trying to break into her house or something. No one was.

Will probably be seeing my nanna for the last time today. She was placed into palliative care earlier this week. Not eating, has dementia, can't recognise anyone and not really talking anymore. Bed bound, but it's at the point where they up the morphine and she just won't wake up. My pa isn't ready to let go though.

She's 95 and she's had a good knock. I'm more worried about my mum and my aunty to be honest.

Will probably be seeing my nanna for the last time today. She was placed into palliative care earlier this week. Not eating, has dementia, can't recognise anyone and not really talking anymore. Bed bound, but it's at the point where they up the morphine and she just won't wake up. My pa isn't ready to let go though.

She's 95 and she's had a good knock. I'm more worried about my mum and my aunty to be honest.
Im so sorry to hear this, very sad news.

I lost childhood friends so early in my life (and obviously relatives as well), I chose to remember the good and happy times always and not the sadness that came with their passing.

For that reason, I dont attend funerals anymore. It devastates me. Mentally I cant cope with that process.

Please dont think about the last days of her life, but focus on the things that made you happy and feel loved when she was at her "prime".

Yeah my family name ends with me.

Christopher Plummer dying. It was while watching The Sound of Music for the first time that I came to the realisation that I was gay.

My mum went to see her today and she said it was pretty awful. She was moaning and groaning in pain, had no idea who mum was, and could barely keep her eyes open apparently.

She always had this sparkle in her eyes whenever she spoke and mum said that is gone now. I haven't seen her since last Feb and I don't know if I want to given that it might be pretty awful if I do.

Mum said too that she feels too like she's lost her mum and that that's not her mum anymore. Pretty sad.
A bit the same with my parents. They aged about 5 years last year during covid restrictions. I feel like we've lost that year, and then some off the end of what would've been their future lives.

A bit the same with my parents. They aged about 5 years last year during covid restrictions. I feel like we've lost that year, and then some off the end of what would've been their future lives.

Your post just made me think of my poor ex workmate... lovely bloke so down to earth.

Lost his wife last year. He is so close to retirement age its not funny.

Its just too ******* sad what he has now missed out on.

Yeah my family name ends with me.

your spirit will live on tho rask mate x

On BF too.

Im so sorry to hear this, very sad news.

I lost childhood friends so early in my life (and obviously relatives as well), I chose to remember the good and happy times always and not the sadness that came with their passing.

For that reason, I dont attend funerals anymore. It devastates me. Mentally I cant cope with that process.

Please dont think about the last days of her life, but focus on the things that made you happy and feel loved when she was at her "prime".
Don't be sorry, it's part of life.

Yeah, I will always remember her as being the most gentle person I have ever met in my life. She always had this sparkle in her eyes whenever she spoke to someone.

I am glad I was able to see her today, even though she was just lying there asleep.

My dad died during covid, but not because of it. I ironically probably saw him more though because of covid than if covid wasn't around.

Just gotta make the most of things I guess, at least they're both still around and you can spend time with them etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only knew one of my grandparents, my mum's mum, and she died when I was nine. One of the biggest regrets (don't think that is the right word here but don't know what is) of my life, especially when I see the relationship my mum has with my nephews and nieces.

I only knew one of my grandparents, my mum's mum, and she died when I was nine. One of the biggest regrets (don't think that is the right word here but don't know what is) of my life, especially when I see the relationship my mum has with my nephews and nieces.

Regret is maybe something you have more control over? Like I regret not stopping in to see my yia yia more often on the way home from work. I was ******* selfish bitch, like drop in, 1/2 an hour/an hour's not going to kill you.

If you had no control over it tho... idk regret maybe isnt the right word.

She died last night just after 9.

Not suffering anymore which is a good thing.

Condolences to you and your mum Cruyff14 - been a tough 6 months for your mum - take care of her and give her lots of hugs. Losing your mum is shattering, regardless of how old they are
Yeah it's been a pretty shitty 18 months (since dad's diagnosis), relatively speaking of course.

She is doing OK, think like with dad, it's a relief for her in a way.

What is wrong with her?
Significant growth of fibroids in her uterus. Booked for hysterectomy.
i had a post here in another thread. Its now coming up to 3 weeks of excruciating pain for the poor thing. Even in hospital with morphine and other pain killers she was in agony.

Get her doing structured breathing during episodes to get oxygen into the bloodstream

Have heavy duty painkillers on hand so she has an option if the pain gets too much. Even if she doesn’t want to bomb herself out, having the option can make it easier to endure the pain. The fentanyl lollipops are good, they kick in quickly

Good luck

Spent half the night last night on the phone to 000/ in the ED.

Mrs Cruyff wasn't feeling great from about 8.15. Got into bed about 9. Got up to shower about 9.30, felt very queazy/nauseous, then threw up on and off from then til midnight. I called the ambos twice - they didn't come the first time as it wasn't priority (IE hadn't lost consciousness etc), but when she fainted I called again and they sent someone. She threw up about 8 times in less than 2 hours before passing out. They think food poisoning or gastro. She is fine now for the most part, but gee, it got a bit scary there for a bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back