The thread about the Environment

Remove this Banner Ad

Argumentum ad quick Google search for link asserting my point of view.

I am bemused by those who call climate change science a religion, given that just about every fact is potentially a contestable piece of propaganda. And given the source you cite uses cagey language

As a consequence, because the global estimate did not change between 2005 and 2009, there must have been another net increase of 2,350-2,500 polar bears among the remaining subpopulations in the late 2000s.

In summary, in order for the worldwide estimate of polar bears to have remained virtually unchanged since 2001, the global population must have increased by 2,650-5,700 bears (average 4,175) between 2001 and 2013. These increases did not off-set the slight declines in other subpopulations, as the unchanging totals imply, but were in addition to them.

Mmm, "must". Definitely the assertive language I'd expect from robust science.

What do you mean by might?

Just a turn of phrase. I'm not disputing that the decline in animals number in the wild is due to humans.

Why does it have little to do with changes in climate? Plenty of species under pressure due to changes in climate (polar bears, seals, rainforest tree species).

7% of the reason according to the WWF. Even if you accept that humans are causing climate change the other issues are much more significant and can be addressed in a shorter time frame than anything that might be achieved by curtailing emissions of CO2.

It's not a mystery clay. For whatever reason most of my accounts stay unbant, so alternate from time to time. Not a badarse like you or a hothead like ol mate bushie, who probably hasn't deserved half the trouble he receives.

Indeed!!:);):(

In further news, as I called on here some years ago, more and more local government bodies are regulating heavily against domestic cats and their owners. Canberra is the latest I do believe.

But, but, but my pussy would never hurt a fly.

image.jpg

It's mid October in New South Wales and it is snowing in Bathurst and the roads are closed due to ice. WTF?
In other years, this is the start of Bushfire season. What's going on with the weather?

It varies...

"I'm very saddened because Australia has the most extraordinary environment and I don't understand why our government seems committed to destroying what we have that's unique in the world," Mr Flanagan told the BBC.

When asked about Prime Minister Tony Abbott's comment earlier this week that "coal is good for humanity" Mr Flanagan said: "To be frank, I'm ashamed to be Australian when you bring this up."

Me too, Richard.

http://tinyurl.com/lc5x7ol

Richard is about as 'Green' as they come. But Abbotts move to coal etc as the be all & end all is a real worry. The Chinese are getting out of coal at great rate. Why? Because they are chocking to death on the stuff. We need to get into renewable energy ASAP. We will be left with old technology & no manufacturing at this rate.

Richard is about as 'Green' as they come. But Abbotts move to coal etc as the be all & end all is a real worry. The Chinese are getting out of coal at great rate. Why? Because they are chocking to death on the stuff. We need to get into renewable energy ASAP. We will be left with old technology & no manufacturing at this rate.
Agree 100%

It's as if it's a neanderthal quote a day from the Mad Monk. The "I'll shirtfront Putin" drivel was also worse than cringeworthy. Frankly, he's an embarrassment internationally and domestically.

Actually China's use of coal is growing....They are phasing out some old, small, inefficient coal power plants, but they're building lots of big new ones to replace them.

Actually China's use of coal is growing....They are phasing out some old, small, inefficient coal power plants, but they're building lots of big new ones to replace them.
So you think coal is the resource of the future?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

China sees it as a big part, they only increased tariffs on imported coal. The question isn't if Telsor does or does not, it is what the larger consumers do.
Haven't they done a couple of things to ensure their country uses their resources more than importing?

Does that mean China sees coal as the future?

Haven't they done a couple of things to ensure their country uses their resources more than importing?

Does that mean China sees coal as the future?

I would say so. They have a shitload of coal plants and keep building more, in my opinion and only my opinion I really doubt China give a flying * about western thoughts on AGW, their population want power and they need to satisfy with a consistent base load capability, for them they see it as coal.

I would say so. They have a shitload of coal plants and keep building more, in my opinion and only my opinion I really doubt China give a flying **** about western thoughts on AGW, their population want power and they need to satisfy with a consistent base load capability, for them they see it as coal.
It's more like our general exports, rather than their concern for our concern for AGW.

It is an interesting opinion. But I don't think you will find China saying that coal is the resource for the future.
They are planning ahead.
More than 20 years.

It's more like our general exports, rather than their concern for our concern for AGW.

It is an interesting opinion. But I don't think you will find China saying that coal is the resource for the future.
They are planning ahead.
More than 20 years.
Considering China and India are in the process of constructing more than 800 coal power facilities, i'd say they're fairly commited to a future reliant on fossil fuels.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/nov/20/coal-plants-world-resources-institute

So you think coal is the resource of the future?

No, just pointing out the error in madmug's claim that China was getting out of coal at a great rate.

Coal is the present however, and the only practical alternatives tend to get greenies screaming even louder (nuclear and hydro).

Considering China and India are in the process of constructing more than 800 coal power facilities, i'd say they're fairly commited to a future reliant on fossil fuels.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/nov/20/coal-plants-world-resources-institute

I'm no expert but I'm saying what was said on Radio National some little while ago & just Googled the topic, a news report says Chinas energy use in 2013 comprised 67% coal, the next 5year plan is to reduce it to 60% & replace that amount with Russian Gas. The just signed some massive deal.

Anyway you guys can discuss that.

So yes, coal is big, but wont grow, if anything, it will shrink. They are choking on the fumes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back