The Tiger myth - Stop telling me Richmond aren't talented

Scanlens Man

Senior List
Aug 10, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
File this under FFS, because this has got to stop - the underselling of the reigning premiers is just the rest of us either looking for hope amongst our own failings or seeking to suppress the inevitable feelings of inadequacy we all know we have. "If they can do it, so can we right? Right?" Wrong, it actually does take talent (and work).

OK we know the Tigers have four A-graders and drop off a cliff from there, but that's the problem, the rest of the list is like most other AFL teams, its just because their top four win so many games for them that the rest of them look crappy in comparison.

So come on people! How do you think they won it last year? No-one took them seriously, we all thought every week was when the bubble would burst, yet every match for the last 10 weeks of 2017 and 4 out of 5 games this year have all played out in the same way - grind, pressure, strangle, wear you down then break you. Ugly but successful.

Richmond are a mirage that never looks real or takes any proper form until you finally cave in and take a look at the scoreboard and realise you're suddenly 6 goals down.

If we dont start taking them seriously, they and their bloody fans are going to get on some new kind of monumental roll and do it all again. I for one don't think I could take that, especially after two Prelim defeats.

Dare I say it. Come on Collingwood FFS.

gavaniacono

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
Hanoi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
File this under FFS, because this has got to stop - the underselling of the reigning premiers is just the rest of us either looking for hope amongst our own failings or seeking to suppress the inevitable feelings of inadequacy we all know we have. "If they can do it, so can we right? Right?" Wrong, it actually does take talent (and work).

OK we know the Tigers have four A-graders and drop off a cliff from there, but that's the problem, the rest of the list is like most other AFL teams, its just because their top four win so many games for them that the rest of them look crappy in comparison.

So come on people! How do you think they won it last year? No-one took them seriously, we all thought every week was when the bubble would burst, yet every match for the last 10 weeks of 2017 and 4 out of 5 games this year have all played out in the same way - grind, pressure, strangle, wear you down then break you. Ugly but successful.

Richmond are a mirage that never looks real or takes any proper form until you finally cave in and take a look at the scoreboard and realise you're suddenly 6 goals down.

If we dont start taking them seriously, they and their bloody fans are going to get on some new kind of monumental roll and do it all again. I for one don't think I could take that, especially after two Prelim defeats.

Dare I say it. Come on Collingwood FFS.
Mate.
You've chosen evil over good.
May you rot in hell!

Rance2Mewtwo

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
I actually think our mid-range players are more talented than many give them credit for.

Shane Edwards for example is brilliant.

But teams like Richmond, Carlton, and Melbourne have ancient history tempting people to form a hard-to-change perception that they’re always s**t.

If Melbourne or Carlton became good, people wouldn’t take them seriously for a while either.

People love to have a team or two they can always laugh at to feel better about their own. During last pre-season it was North.

On a rolling ladder, Richmond has been a top 4 performing team over the past 6 years now.

6 years!

It takes a looooong time to earn respect when you’ve spent 30 years being a laughing stock. But when you build a dominant aura, that can last a while too...

Geelong and Hawthorn benefit from healthy perceptions just as Richmond and Melbourne suffered from negative ones.

Last edited:

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Tigers.. sitting sharpening their talons.. oops no they have shutters on them.. no hat is not right... they have...
fingernail... stop me before I give mor than I cn handle...

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I actually think our 5-18 best players are far more talented than many give them credit for.

Why?

Because of ancient history creating a hard-to-change perception. People love to have a team or two they can always laugh at to feel better about their own. During last pre-season it was North.

The narrative that we only have 4 talented players is born from those ancient perceptions.

The same thing will happen if Melbourne or Carlton become a dominant team.

On a rolling ladder, Richmond has been a top 4 performing team over the past 6 years now.

6 years!

It takes a looooong time to earn respect when you’ve spent 30 years being a laughing stock.
it is this that earns respect.. that you will value your success with pride and being humble.. sorry I couldn't think of the word..
not being too fulll of yourself..

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
It's been 5 rounds lol. Keep the lid on mate doggies were going about the same this time last year.

Unless you're saying people still rate Bulldogs then I apologize.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Because of ancient history creating a hard-to-change perception. People love to have a team or two they can always laugh at to feel better about their own. During last pre-season it was North.

With respect. i think this is the myth....there was a huge amount of good will behind the Tigers last year, and to a slightly lesser extent this year.

People are much happier than seeing Hawks, Geelong, Sydney or some others in the GF.

And every GF team gets questioned and put down, not just the Tigers.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I actually think our 5-18 best players are more talented than many give them credit for.

Why?

The narrative that we only have 4 talented players is born from those ancient perceptions.

The same thing will happen if Melbourne or Carlton become a dominant team... people won’t take them seriously for a while.

6 years!

It takes a looooong time to earn respect when you’ve spent 30 years being a laughing stock.

I don't know if your 5-18 are more talented though. Like I agree that Grimes Astbury and Edwards are very good players as is Lambert but if you took Vlastuin Butler Caddy Townsend etc and put them into Melbourne or Essendon they would return to being average players. Your system is bringing the best out of every player on the list. Like drop Jeffy Garlett or Jake Lever into the Richmond side and their AA.

Rance2Mewtwo

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
it is this that earns respect.. that you will value your success with pride and being humble.. sorry I couldn't think of the word..
not being too fulll of yourself..

Nah mate being humble on big footy won’t make people respect Richmond as a talented team lol.

Only sustained success can build that kind of aura.

For example Geelong has maintained their intimidating aura as a talented team, while Hawthorn haven’t.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nah mate being humble on big footy won’t make people respect Richmond as a talented team lol.

For example Geelong has maintained their intimidating aura as a talented team, while Hawthorn haven’t.
ah shuttle bus.. you are trying to well goad me into saying we aren't .. good on ya.. we know what we are..

we don't need richmond hacks to tell us how to win.. gravity will tell and you won't know what the word means...

gravity.. we know what being at the top means... ;)

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Now I am confused... do you want success or do you want to look successful?

Rance2Mewtwo

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't know if your 5-18 are more talented though. Like I agree that Grimes Astbury and Edwards are very good players as is Lambert but if you took Vlastuin Butler Caddy Townsend etc and put them into Melbourne or Essendon they would return to being average players. Your system is bringing the best out of every player on the list. Like drop Jeffy Garlett or Jake Lever into the Richmond side and their AA.

If that’s the case then we should be the next Sydney who always finishes top 4 regardless of who is on our list.

God help everyone if Richmond is the next Sydney.

I hope you’re right

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley

Check my posts before the grand final I think you'll find I wanted the Richmond fans to win it. I was even close mates with Cotch back in school.

But now I hate them all.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
If that’s the case then we should be the next Sydney who always finishes top 4 regardless of who is on our list.

God help everyone if Richmond is the next Sydney.

I hope you’re right

Well I think 4 extremely talent structural senior players does help but on the evidence of this year I wouldn't bet against a few years of Tigers top 4 finishes.

I mean you can under estimate how important Rance Martin and Riewoldt are it means the tigs have the best player in each area of the field in most if not all games. Riewoldt especially for mine, his ability to get up the ground and deliver to the others is top class. One of the best kicks inside 50 in the AFL on both sides of his body.

Rance2Mewtwo

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Check my posts before the grand final I think you'll find I wanted them to win it. I was even close mates with Cotch back in school.

But now I hate them all.

Yeah it’s going to be pretty obnoxious if we do stay at the top.

There’s two reasons for it:

1. Richmond fans have suffered for so long

2. There’s just so many of us

So it’s going to be annoying. The Bulldogs seemed polite, but that’s because there’s so few of them and despite their drought, they never copped it relentlessly for being s**t.

Perfect storm.

Rance2Mewtwo

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Well I think 4 extremely talent structural senior players does help but on the evidence of this year I wouldn't bet against a few years of Tigers top 4 finishes.

I mean you can under estimate how important Rance Martin and Riewoldt are it means the tigs have the best player in each area of the field in most if not all games. Riewoldt especially for mine, his ability to get up the ground and deliver to the others is top class. One of the best kicks inside 50 in the AFL on both sides of his body.

I think the media’s narrative that we’ve only got 4 talented players is bred from deeper assumptions that “Oh Richmond must have a crap list, they’re Richmond! Yeah I admit their top end is elite... but everyone else is still crap”.

I mean, Geelong had Ablett, Selwood, Taylor, Chapman etc

Hawthorn had Buddy, Hodge, Mitchell, Roughy, etc

Every top team has a similar core of elite stars, but Richmond is being perceived differently because of deeper assumptions that conflict with reality.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn

So it’s going to be annoying. The Bulldogs seemed polite, but that’s because there’s so few of them and despite their drought, they never copped it relentlessly for being s**t.

Perfect storm.

The Bulldog's really copped it on BF after their GF win.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Perfect storm.
cash for comment,, thus a problem for all well respected tiger.. we can't all be smart and prudent.. i.e. don't lie about your cash for comment.. dude..

Back