The Title Race

Who do you want to win the league/who do you think will win the league?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve been following the club since the Barnes/Beardsley/Hansen days so have seen my fair share of false dawns and disappointments in that time.

We‘ve built and rebuilt title challenging sides on a roughly 5 yearly cycle since our last one in 1990. Those title challenges have typically been derailed by us needlessly dropping points against the Coventry’s or Crystal Palaces of the league. This side feels different though - I think I posted the other day that this feels like the most un-Liverpool Liverpool side I’ve followed in that time. 48 points from 48 to date against teams outside the top 5 is unheard of for us.

Having said that, City are a formidable contender and after what they did last season (one of the greatest seasons in English football history), you can’t write them off from having a perfect 2nd half of the season which means that needs to be the aim for us also, and while unlikely Spurs aren’t completely out of the frame, so no Liverpool fan will be feeling comfortable yet.

I’m just going to enjoy the ride and celebrate the wins as they come. If you can’t enjoy football while your team is in a title race, then when can you??

Liverpool look a little tired to me. Not sure grinding out wins at this stage is ideal.
We did it in 2014/15. After smashing Swansea 5-0, we were nowhere near out best for the rest of the season, but we were still able to grind out wins. It was City dropping points that helped us win the title.

We did it in 2014/15. After smashing Swansea 5-0, we were nowhere near out best for the rest of the season, but we were still able to grind out wins. It was City dropping points that helped us win the title.
Hazard carried us in that second half of that season.

I remember that. I was shitting myself for half the season because of it. Matic, Costa and Fàbregas all fell off a cliff.

was that when both sides were dead even at christmas?

Wolves couldnt help us out. City will be going nowhere and they will make us earn it.

One game at a time. Palace at Anfield next. Just keep winning and we cant be caught!

No chance we win the final 16 games. I reckon we need at least 13 wins and a draw to win the league.

This 9? day break will greatly benefit Liverpool.

Agree. I'd love to be still in the cups but we just don't have the squad to compete on 4 fronts and had we been in the FA Cup / League cup still I reckon our players would become exhausted. Maybe next season with a few quality additions we could possibly compete on all 4 fronts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. I'd love to be still in the cups but we just don't have the squad to compete on 4 fronts and had we been in the FA Cup / League cup still I reckon our players would become exhausted. Maybe next season with a few quality additions we could possibly compete on all 4 fronts.
When we ever have the squad if we keep loaning and selling our fringe squad players?

With 15 games left:
7279AA74-B6C7-4193-A361-906F29B08C2D.jpeg

Nothing unexpected happened over the weekend with both sides winning. Liverpool had a minor scare but got the job done in the end, as all good sides do.

With all that, I’m still confident City will overrun Pool. Their bench on weekend consisted of D. Silva, B. Silva, Stones, Foden, Jesus and Delph. Blimey. Starters at just about every other club. Having these guys come on as soon as someone gets tired/dips in form will just ensure their run doesn’t taper. They’ll have fresh legs in the run home. Only thing that could halt City at the moment is injuries. Right now, you could argue that Fernandinho is their most important player. Irreplaceable at the minute and has been huge this season.

I am starting to sense subtle vulnerabilities in this Liverpool side. Injuries are starting to slow them down and guys like Keita and Fabinho are trying to cement themselves into their staring lineup. Plus they uncharacteristically leaked goals on the weekend. I guess in the seasons gone by they would’ve dropped points in a game like the weekend, but they’re a much more resilient unit this time round. The real test is yet to come for them though. What I have been loving is the Liverpool board at the moment. I’m genuinely nervous for them. They may be accused of being biased, deluded, obnoxious, insufferable, etc. but you cannot deny their passion. I will most likely regret saying all this if they win, but I can’t help but feel excited for them at the moment.

We have a nice little break before the next Premier League fixtures, which I’m sure Liverpool fans will be happy about. City have Newcastle (A) while Pool player Leicester (H). Routine wins for both. City to beat Newcastle (1-4) while Pool beat Leicester (2-1).

Newcastle are a mess atm, easy 3 points for City. We should account for Leiceste comfortably with injuries hopefully wearing after the break.

Don't count out Spurs either.
Surely you’re taking the piss lol. They’ve got third sewn up but they’re not going to make up nine points + GD with their injuries.

Surely you’re taking the piss lol. They’ve got third sewn up but they’re not going to make up nine points + GD with their injuries.

As long as they keep plucking away and picking up wins you can't discount them. Another loss or two would finally end their hopes though.

Next three games are tough for us. Newcastle (a), Arsenal (h), Chelsea (h).

Liverpool have Leicester (h), West Ham (a), Bournemouth (h).

If we can keep the gap at 4 we've done pretty well for ourselves.

Then we're going to start falling behind in terms of games played. The Everton match will be postponed for the League Cup final (unless blah blah), the derby will be postponed if either team stats in the FA Cup.

With 15 games left:
View attachment 608293

Nothing unexpected happened over the weekend with both sides winning. Liverpool had a minor scare but got the job done in the end, as all good sides do.

With all that, I’m still confident City will overrun Pool. Their bench on weekend consisted of D. Silva, B. Silva, Stones, Foden, Jesus and Delph. Blimey. Starters at just about every other club. Having these guys come on as soon as someone gets tired/dips in form will just ensure their run doesn’t taper. They’ll have fresh legs in the run home. Only thing that could halt City at the moment is injuries. Right now, you could argue that Fernandinho is their most important player. Irreplaceable at the minute and has been huge this season.

I am starting to sense subtle vulnerabilities in this Liverpool side. Injuries are starting to slow them down and guys like Keita and Fabinho are trying to cement themselves into their staring lineup. Plus they uncharacteristically leaked goals on the weekend. I guess in the seasons gone by they would’ve dropped points in a game like the weekend, but they’re a much more resilient unit this time round. The real test is yet to come for them though. What I have been loving is the Liverpool board at the moment. I’m genuinely nervous for them. They may be accused of being biased, deluded, obnoxious, insufferable, etc. but you cannot deny their passion. I will most likely regret saying all this if they win, but I can’t help but feel excited for them at the moment.

We have a nice little break before the next Premier League fixtures, which I’m sure Liverpool fans will be happy about. City have Newcastle (A) while Pool player Leicester (H). Routine wins for both. City to beat Newcastle (1-4) while Pool beat Leicester (2-1).

Fabinho was been excellent since he broke in to the team a couple months ago. On form he’s our best midfielder.

Keita has struggled a lot.

Fabinho was been excellent since he broke in to the team a couple months ago. On form he’s our best midfielder.

Keita has struggled a lot.
Was it a couple of months ago since he broke into the team? I thought he was dropped for a PL match not long ago. But yeah, agree in that he continues to improve. That ball to Milner on the weekend was amazing.

Back