The Title Race

Who do you want to win the league/who do you think will win the league?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Next three games are tough for us. Newcastle (a), Arsenal (h), Chelsea (h).

Liverpool have Leicester (h), West Ham (a), Bournemouth (h).

If we can keep the gap at 4 we've done pretty well for ourselves.

Then we're going to start falling behind in terms of games played. The Everton match will be postponed for the League Cup final (unless blah blah), the derby will be postponed if either team stats in the FA Cup.
A huge three games. Both your games against top six clubs are at home though which aid you. Any dropped points would be great. If Arsenal and Chelsea want to help out that would be great. The good thing is that Chelsea, Arsenal and United are now really close and fighting for fourth so everything to play for for Arsenal and Chelsea.

The weekend almost went terribly wrong but we have a different mentality this season and resiliency not seen previously. I hope it continues!

A huge three games. Both your games against top six clubs are at home though which aid you. Any dropped points would be great. If Arsenal and Chelsea want to help out that would be great. The good thing is that Chelsea, Arsenal and United are now really close and fighting for fourth so everything to play for for Arsenal and Chelsea.

The weekend almost went terribly wrong but we have a different mentality this season and resiliency not seen previously. I hope it continues!

Am sorry to say Jod I wouldn’t place too much hope on Arsenal, especially away from home. It could be a similar result to the game at Anfield.

Was it a couple of months ago since he broke into the team? I thought he was dropped for a PL match not long ago. But yeah, agree in that he continues to improve. That ball to Milner on the weekend was amazing.

Our midfield rotates a lot but he's started something like 11 of the last 13 games and has been really good.

One of the games he didn't start was City away, which was a mistake in hindsight. He was good in that game when he came on as well.

I’ve been following the club since the Barnes/Beardsley/Hansen days so have seen my fair share of false dawns and disappointments in that time.

We‘ve built and rebuilt title challenging sides on a roughly 5 yearly cycle since our last one in 1990. Those title challenges have typically been derailed by us needlessly dropping points against the Coventry’s or Crystal Palaces of the league. This side feels different though - I think I posted the other day that this feels like the most un-Liverpool Liverpool side I’ve followed in that time. 48 points from 48 to date against teams outside the top 5 is unheard of for us.

Having said that, City are a formidable contender and after what they did last season (one of the greatest seasons in English football history), you can’t write them off from having a perfect 2nd half of the season which means that needs to be the aim for us also, and while unlikely Spurs aren’t completely out of the frame, so no Liverpool fan will be feeling comfortable yet.

I’m just going to enjoy the ride and celebrate the wins as they come. If you can’t enjoy football while your team is in a title race, then when can you??
Like your whole post but I'd give you 10 likes just for the last two sentences. Because that's how i feel. That's what it's all about.

West Ham away is a danger game for Liverpool. They’ve already beaten United and Arsenal at home and drawn with Chelsea. That’s probably one of the few games left where city will be hoping Liverpool drop points. They look so strong at Anfield that I’ll think they roll everyone they play there. Spurs and Chelsea may be able to hold out but beyond that it’s plain sailing. The only way I see City winning it is if they win all their remaining games and that’s highly unlikely

And people claiming they’re just going to “enjoy the ride” who you trying to kid lol? There’s nothing enjoyable about trying to break 28 year droughts. As football fans this is the pain (and occasional ecstasy) we all signed up for

And people claiming they’re just going to “enjoy the ride” who you trying to kid lol? There’s nothing enjoyable about trying to break 28 year droughts. As football fans this is the pain (and occasional ecstasy) we all signed up for
In the 2013/14 season Liverpool had a really good run in the new year. It was a wild exhilarating ride home. I absolutely looked forward to every game and loved that run despite us not winning. Well of course there is pain, as it transpired, but as I said back then to an unsympathetic (Arsenal supporter) customer of mine and i'll say it now, i could not feel, or enjoy the performances any more other than winning the title. I enjoyed the ride.

Am sorry to say Jod I wouldn’t place too much hope on Arsenal, especially away from home. It could be a similar result to the game at Anfield.
Honestly I dont have a lot of hope on either team to be honest. Sometimes I think it's more likely that teams outside the top six have a greater chance of taking points off the likes of City simply because they know how to defend and park buses.

Arsenal and Chelsea are used to having the lions share of the ball and used to attacking football. You play that way against City and City will cut you up. But shove 11 men behind the ball and try and nick one on the counter or a set piece is more likely to trip up City.

But hey, here's hoping.

I feel it goes two ways.

We beat Brighton 1-0 and the two to three days after are ecstasy. Still top, one more game out of the way, everything in the world is glorious. Days four and five after the game, start to think about next game. a-hole starts to tighten. Day six. Anxiety hits, bad dreams of losing to Palace come at night. Lose sleep.

Matchday. Full blown panic. Manic. Anxious. Worried. Filled with dread.

Beat Palace. Days one, two and three. Ecstasy. Still top, one more game out of the way, everything in the world is glorious. Days four and five... well you get the picture. Haha.

Honestly I dont have a lot of hope on either team to be honest. Sometimes I think it's more likely that teams outside the top six have a greater chance of taking points off the likes of City simply because they know how to defend and park buses.

Arsenal and Chelsea are used to having the lions share of the ball and used to attacking football. You play that way against City and City will cut you up. But shove 11 men behind the ball and try and nick one on the counter or a set piece is more likely to trip up City.

But hey, here's hoping.
disagree. let City have the ball and they will get through your defence eventually. Too much talent on the park. Have to go at them if you want something from the game or hope they are having a s**t day at the office and Kun has left his shooting boots at home.

I feel it goes two ways.

We beat Brighton 1-0 and the two to three days after are ecstasy. Still top, one more game out of the way, everything in the world is glorious. Days four and five after the game, start to think about next game. a-hole starts to tighten. Day six. Anxiety hits, bad dreams of losing to Palace come at night. Lose sleep.

Matchday. Full blown panic. Manic. Anxious. Worried. Filled with dread.

Beat Palace. Days one, two and three. Ecstasy. Still top, one more game out of the way, everything in the world is glorious. Days four and five... well you get the picture. Haha.
But you are enjoying the ride? Yeah?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

disagree. let City have the ball and they will get through your defence eventually. Too much talent on the park. Have to go at them if you want something from the game or hope they are having a s**t day at the office and Kun has left his shooting boots at home.

I agree with this. I think city is vulnerable when you have a real go at them. Doesn’t mean you’ll get the win though but you improve your chances.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah fair enough, good points there. The lower teams dont really have the quality to have a go at City though as they just cant keep the ball. Hopefully Arsenal or Chelsea can.

A title race can be draining for supporters let alone players/coaching staff.

Back in the latter stages of 11/12 I thought of little, and everything in life/work seemed to revolve around whether or not we won at the weekend.

3 points and all was right with the world, anything less and it was like the world just ended. I'm normally pretty pragmatic after a loss, but back then I carried a bad result right through to the next game.

Was much better in 13/14, pretty chilled right now. Wouldn't say I really enjoy a title race but I love being part of one.

Yeah fair enough, good points there. The lower teams dont really have the quality to have a go at City though as they just cant keep the ball. Hopefully Arsenal or Chelsea can.

Arsenal don't fill me with confidence away. Utd away and Chelsea at home are probably the only games that City are a decent chance of dropping points in although there will be unexpected results along the way.

Spurs / Chelsea at home a real danger for us and Utd away obviously. Everton away will also be up for it.

You wouldn’t have it any other way (regarding being in a title race) but it’s filled with too much dread to be enjoyable. Not that I’m speaking with much if any experience here! It’s like any football match really just with the ante turned up. You can’t really enjoy it unless you go 3-0 up after 20 minutes then you can sit back and chill. I remember when I had to pop out during the West Ham/Liverpool FA cup final in 2006 I think during the extra time. I saw this bloke with a West Ham shirt on walking his dog. Watching the match had obviously become too much for him. Felt for the bloke really, he obviously lost his bottle and had to go and do something to avoid the pain of watching it

City have lost 4 of their last 9 games.

If we do manage to hold out and win the league, how the hell am I supposed to turn that into a gif to rub in everyone’s faces for the next decade?

Back