The Title Race

Who do you want to win the league/who do you think will win the league?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I know we’re just over the halfway mark of the season, so this thread may be a little premature, but in my opinion, this is one of the most anticipated title races of all time, so I’m going early with this thread.

Both teams have been absolutely dominant this season and I believe we are destined for a mouthwatering finish. We’re talking two teams that could both break the all time points record in the same season. Crazy.

City are seven points adrift but have a game in hand. Liverpool have a marginally superior goal difference (one goal), which could easily be overturned after City have their way with Wolves tomorrow.

A34D1059-AE97-44AB-A7FB-EEA3421F384C.jpeg

Their respective run homes:

Liverpool
Crystal Palace (H)
Leicester City (H)
West Ham United (A)
Bournemouth (H)
Manchester United (A)
Watford (H)
Everton (A)
Burnley (H)
Fulham (A)
Tottenham (H)
Southampton (A)
Chelsea (H)
Cardiff (A)
Huddersfield Town (H)
Newcastle United (A)
Wolverhampton (H)

Manchester City
Wolverhampton (H)
Huddersfield Town (A)
Newcastle (A)
Arsenal (H)
Chelsea (H)

Everton (A)
West Ham United (H)
Bournemouth (A)
Watford (H)
Manchester United (A)
Fulham (A)
Cardiff (H)
Crystal Palace (A)
Tottenham (H)
Burnley (A)
Leicester City (H)
Brighton (A)

Just looking at their remaining fixtures and Liverpool’s looks slightly more favourable. They play one less top six side and both teams have to back up a Champions League leg against Manchester United away. City cop Arsenal (H), Chelsea (H), Schalke (A) and Everton (A) in a tough run of fixtures whereas Liverpool generally get more relief after challenging games.

One fixture I find particularly interesting is Liverpool vs Chelsea at Anfield late in the season. It was Chelsea who derailed their last title challenge at a similar stage of the season so I wonder if history will repeat itself. I’m sure Pool will be keen to make amends but no doubt that game will be in the back of their supporters’ minds.

So who will win? I am still of the opinion that City win it. I think there’s less pressure for them to deliver a title and that will be reflective in the way they play. They’ve also been there before and are hardened winners, so I can see experience playing a huge role in their run home. I feel Pool will start to feel the weight of the world on their shoulders and they will subsequently drop crucial points. I also feel that City are a stronger side, with a far superior midfield and greater depth, so in the end their quality will prevail.

Who I want to win is a different story. I’m not massive on either club as they’re both top six rivals, but a win for Liverpool is a win for football. This may sound rich coming from a Chelsea supporter, but Pool have assembled their squad a lot more honourably and haven’t relied on large cash injections from a billionaire owner. Their net spend since Klopp has taken over is close to zero. That’s an amazing accomplishment when you consider he has completely overhauled their squad and brought in numerous world class players. I think they have a pretty likeable team this time round as well (no Suarez, Sterling, Gerrard, etc.). The FFP allegations against Manchester City has also made me feel resentful towards them, but we’ll leave that discussion to the appropriate thread.

So over to you everyone. Who wins and who do you want to win? Why?

69214C6D-09B9-437C-8A3E-56DE93F8D367.jpeg
Image: Liverpool’s star left back Alberto Moreno

BFF5AAD2-32F9-40FB-AA0C-0D5BBA8A251E.jpeg
Image: ex Real Madrid superstar Danilo in action

I also apologise to Spurs fans if this thread comes across as disrespectful. I did not intend for it to be that way. I acknowledge that you’re still only two points off City and are quietly having a tremendous season, but I just don’t think you’ll close a nine point (plus goal difference) gap on the leaders and I have therefore written you off as a contender. Feel free to call me out if you finish above either of the aforementioned sides. I will happily own up to it.

Pains me to say it, and I hope I’m wrong but I think the scousers will finally win their 1st PL title, as a United fan it’s a shitty situation, City or Liverpool, would’ve preferred Spurs but they’re out of the picture now.

• Banned
Pains me to say it, and I hope I’m wrong but I think the scousers will finally win their 1st PL title, as a United fan it’s a shitty situation, City or Liverpool, would’ve preferred Spurs but they’re out of the picture now.
Was actually interested to know where United fans sit with this one. It seems most want City to win. I guess Pool/United is the greatest rivalry in England so it makes sense you’d jump on board Citeh. Supporting City must make you feel all kinds of yuck though.

It’s probably a 3.5 point gap. Naturally if City do close the gap to Liverpool it would see City’s GD exceed Liverpool.

Liverpool in the box seat but would only take one injury to Salah or VVD to have City favourites for mine

Spurs weight of injuries too much for us now

Was actually interested to know where United fans sit with this one. It seems most want City to win. I guess Pool/United is the greatest rivalry in England so it makes sense you’d jump on board Citeh. Supporting City must make you feel all kinds of yuck though.

Yeah it’s a lose lose situation, but there are far more Liverpool fans around than City, and City aren’t right up our clacker in terms of English league titles won haha, Liverpool will move to 19 if they win.

But like I said, Spurs winning it would be ideal.

I think it's going to be hard for us to win it. Liverpool have to slip up twice and that's without us dropping any more points (which won't happen).

I think we've just got to hang in there, try our best not to let the gap grow beyond four and wait for a gift. Liverpool will drop points as well so we've just got to put ourselves in a position to take advantage.

Against United in 11/12 we were 8 points back with 6 games to go (one of those games was the derby). So it's not lost yet, but a lot of things will have to go out way, starting with tonight which is a real danger game.

I want and think Pool will win. Nothing better than seeing a drought broken and the joy it brings fans.

Interesting we play Pool at Anfield on matchday 34, we all know what happened last time.

Agreed buddy. I keep reading from some Spurs fans that no one wants them to win it, which is false. I too would be pretty happy for Liverpool to get it done.

Enjoying the brand of football they play and they’ve been building very nicely under Klopp. Am also glad we’ve gearing up to nice title race, makes for exciting viewing.

Our major concern is our squad which just isn't as deep as Cities. If we keep everyone reasonably healthy I don't see why we can't do it. I'd like to see us dip into the winter market but that generally doesn't happen (VVD an exception - he was already being bought in the summer window but Edwards stuffed up the negotiations).

With 16 games remaining 13 wins, 2 losses and a draw should do the job for us.

i think liverpool will win it because it's been impossible over the last decade to retain the league, and to follow up on last season to be as dominant would be a huge ask. obviously we still can win it but i dont see liverpool dropping 4 more points than us, especially if they're grinding out wins in games they would normally lose.

Anyone but Liverpool. We saved English football for 2 1/2 decades from the insufferable bastards winning the league. Time for City et al to step up ffs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liverpool look a little tired to me. Not sure grinding out wins at this stage is ideal.

Liverpool look a little tired to me. Not sure grinding out wins at this stage is ideal.

We have a 11 day break after Palace at home thanks to no league / FA Cup. Rest & recharge when needed most and a chance to sort out our injury problems.

We have a 11 day break after Palace at home thanks to no league / FA Cup. Rest & recharge when needed most and a chance to sort out our injury problems.
Yeah fair point. Are you guys going to bring in any reinforcements this Jan?

I desperately want us to win it and I voted that we will cos I couldnt go against my team. Having said it will be extremely difficult to hold off City. They are an all time great side. So we would need to be all time great to beat them and I'm not sure we are.

The key factor in this title race will come down to who can get through the remaining games with the least injuries. City’s depth runs deeper than ours so for us to win it we need our best 11 to remain healthy. Still a lot of games to play.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

As expected, City thump Wolves and are now only four points behind with a GD advantage. Pressure is back on Pool. City aren’t going anywhere. They’re really gonna make Pool earn this one.

Back