The Title Race

Who do you want to win the league/who do you think will win the league?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw a tweet somewhere that made me chuckle.
Manc fan laying into City cos they been denying the swimmers the league title for decades and 4 years of being average and City (were looking like) giving them a title. Peak banter.

City or Us I think would be most neutral fans preference.
Rating yourselves a little too much there. Nobody likes Spurs. :D

What chef said. Plus they probably sang the Willian song taking the piss out of Spurs as well. They do it every week. It’s part of their singing repertoire and they do it regardless of the score. I love that. It’s better than going into hiding because we’re losing.
What’s the Willian song re Spurs?

They sing it at most games, its just one of our songs now. The away fans sing loud and proud no matter what the score is, they are great.
Man United flogs sung "racist bastard" away at Fulham a few years ago in reference to Luis Suarez and the tune Liverpool used to sing his name to.

Man United flogs sung "racist bastard" away at Fulham a few years ago in reference to Luis Suarez and the tune Liverpool used to sing his name to.

Yep, and I’m guessing Liverpool would have a chant for Evra? Spurs for Sol Campbell. Arsenal for Shawcross, Stoke for Ramsey. The list could go on, it’d be quite common I would’ve thought.

In reference to when you almost signed Willian but we pinched him last minute. Jokes probably on us now though considering how f***ing terrible he is lol.

Yep, and I’m guessing Liverpool would have a chant for Evra? Spurs for Sol Campbell. Arsenal for Shawcross, Stoke for Ramsey. The list could go on, it’d be quite common I would’ve thought.
Yeah, Spurs fans calling out others for chants is always a those in glass houses situation considering we literally have a chant about Sol Campbell dying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is certainly some truth to it. If we win the league that year, I dont think Klopp would be our manager today. Whether you think that's good or bad is down to everyone's personal opinion.
and what if klopp never wins the league?
+ they'd have a recent title under their belt.

and what if klopp never wins the league?
Yeah totally, I've mentioned this previously. Klopp has to win the league and other trophies too to make the Rodgers close shave more bearable.

I mean you have two scenarios.

Rodgers gets us over the line and we win the league. Suarez leaves anyways cos he knows it's job done. Gerrard retires and we have an average squad with let's be honest a good manager but not a great one. A manager with a pretty s**t eye for talent too. Would we sustain a title challenge, win more league titles and trophies. I doubt it. Under Rodgers we probably dont get Salah, Mane, VVD, Fabinho, Keita, even if we get guys like Ox or Robertson do we see the best of them under Rodgers like we have under Klopp. So we have that one glorious moment and then back to 5th-7th finishes in the league and no CL football.

Then the second scenario is we come up short under Rodgers, he's sacked and we get Klopp. He has restored us to CL regulars but also actually challenging for the CL and league title for what looks like more than just one season. He's brought in a higher quality of player and he's just a world class manager unlike Rodgers, who is a just a good one.

Those are the two scenarios. I'll take scenario one all day long if Klopp never wins anything. But if Klopp stuffs the trophy cabinet then you're bummed about missing the league title that year under Rodgers but you're ok with it because it brought better things.

I think Jod is talking some sense, although playing the sliding doors game is a bit of a fruitless excercise as it’s all speculation. One thing is for sure if they win the league then the pain of 13/14 subsides quite significantly. As fans we live in the moment and for the here and now, that’s always more important than what happened in the past. Same with life in general imo

Not sure FSG would have been so quick to pull the trigger mid season 2015/16 on BR if he had of won the title in 2013/14 so there is definitely some truth to what jod is saying. Klopp was available in 2015 and may not have been available mid 2016 had FSG pulled the trigger on BR then.

I think Jod is talking some sense, although playing the sliding doors game is a bit of a fruitless excercise as it’s all speculation. One thing is for sure if they win the league then the pain of 13/14 subsides quite significantly. As fans we live in the moment and for the here and now, that’s always more important than what happened in the past. Same with life in general imo

Meh, then he can't whinge about Rodgers resting players against Real in order to qualify for the CL the following season. You get into endless loops thinking like that "Oh well I'm glad we didn't win the title that year it give us more chance to win it this year" is such a dumb thought experiment when you consider if they had won the title that year they'd attract better players, have a winning mentality, and not choke every time they get to a final in a Cup competition.

Meh, then he can't whinge about Rodgers resting players against Real in order to qualify for the CL the following season. You get into endless loops thinking like that "Oh well I'm glad we didn't win the title that year it give us more chance to win it this year" is such a dumb thought experiment when you consider if they had won the title that year they'd attract better players, have a winning mentality, and not choke every time they get to a final in a Cup competition.
I agree with most of that, and is why I said the theorising is a fruitless exercise. Jod probably cried himself to sleep for six months straight back in 2014 so I’m pretty convinced he’d want to change that outcome if he had some mystical power to do so

Anyone still think Pool win it?

Back