The Title Race

Who do you want to win the league/who do you think will win the league?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Guide to the difficulty of the remaining fixtures: 0A95E6EA-3053-42BA-A11A-179FBB039509.jpeg

Factors in home/away form over the whole season but doesn’t account for recent form of the top 6 sides.

Was Pool 10 points up at one stage too?

From memory I think we had a chance to at some stage around New Year.

Look, if we’d had a perfect season we would’ve maintained that buffer, but I think it’s an unrealistic expectation to think this team wasn’t going to have a rough patch at some point. Even City with their exceptional squad had to deal with the wheels wobbling back in December. Their slump was more dramatic, but shorter. Ours has been a little more prolonged, but less dramatic.

Obviously there are areas we can improve, every team has those, but as it is, to date this is (on a PPG basis) the best season the club’s ever had in its 100+ year history. We’re still on track for a 92 point season, and somehow we’re trailing City by a point. I’ve read and heard talk that we’re bottling or throwing away the league, which is madness imo, and undersells just how phenomenal this City team is. If we don’t win the league this season, that’s what it will come down to.

Is it just me or is Kloop really starting to crack under the pressure ?

Would be a massive surprise if Liverpool still go on and win the title from here.

Guide to the difficulty of the remaining fixtures:View attachment 628930

Factors in home/away form over the whole season but doesn’t account for recent form of the top 6 sides.

I find all these charts and stuff to be such a waste of time.

City lost to Newcastle, we drew back to back with Leicester and West Ham. Ranking the difficulty of opponents is pointless, that’s not how football works.

City lost to Newcastle, we drew back to back with Leicester and West Ham. Ranking the difficulty of opponents is pointless, that’s not how football works.
yeah statistically you cant measure the quirks of sport. deflections, wondergoals, injuries, human error, weary legs, mental exhaustion, etc etc.

Is it just me or is Kloop really starting to crack under the pressure ?

Would be a massive surprise if Liverpool still go on and win the title from here.

I don't think he is cracking, but I do think he has erred a little in his approach.

Traditionally titles are won by not dropping points against the top teams - particularly away - and by dominating the lower teams. Liverpool have done this perfectly.

However, it has been clear for a while that something else is required this year. Man City are going to score a mountain of points and Liverpool had to match that. Instead they have played quite conservatively, and Klopp has selected conservative teams (Fabrinho and Henderson playing at the same time repeatedly).

Liverpool should have attacked those games with much more urgency IMO.

It is such a shame that Keita has not settled yet. This would be an entirely different conversation if he could have been the midfielder scoring goals for Liverpool.

But, on the other hand Liverpool are fit, have a lot less games than City, have easier games than City and City have two huge injuries to De Bruyne and Fernandinho. And Man City have Manu at Old Trafford and ManU will not roll over.

This is not close to over.

Liverpool need to go back to last years heavy metal football though.

Last edited:
I don't think he is cracking, but I do think he has erred a little in his approach.

Traditionally titles are won by not dropping points against the top teams - particularly away - and by dominating the lower teams. Liverpool have done this perfectly.

However, it has been clear for a while that something else is required this year. Man City are going to score a mountain of points and Liverpool had to match that. Instead they have played quite conservatively, and Klopp has selected conservative teams (Fabrinho and Henderson playing at the same time repeatedly).

Liverpool should have attacked those games with much more urgency IMO.

It is such a shame that Keita has not settled yet. This would be an entirely different conversation if could have been the midfielder scoring goals for Liverpool.

But, on the other hand Liverpool are fit, have a lot less games than City, have easier games than City and City have two huge injuries to De Bruyne and Fernandinho. And Man City have Manu at Old Trafford and ManU will not roll over.

This is not close to over.

Liverpool need to go back to last years heavy metal football though.

Slag really needs to pull his finger out too, if Liverpool still want to be crowned champions.

It's way too early to call the title.

It's nice being back on top but doesn't mean much atm. Liverpool will almost certainly be back on top by the end of March with us being involved in cup instead league games in a few weeks time.

And then we have a really tough stretch. Both teams will drop points between now and the end of the season, so it's very much still all to play for imo.

Sure it’s possible to lose to poorer sides, but if I give you 10 games against Man City and 10 games against Huddersfield, who do you think Liverpool would beat more often?

Tables like this aren’t perfect but do have some value as a rough guide to how difficult the run in for the top 6 will be based on how their opponents have actually performed on a PPG basis both at home and away over 30-odd games.

yeah statistically you cant measure the quirks of sport. deflections, wondergoals, injuries, human error, weary legs, mental exhaustion, etc etc.

This is true, but these variables would only affect the validity of this table as a predictor of fixture difficulty if they affected some teams disproportionately more than others. I’m not sure that’s the case.

One variable which would impact it would be if some poorer teams had an unusually good record against top 6 sides (not just one-off results), which may well be true for 1 or 2 of them. I’m not sure.

My prediction
Man City 96
Liverpool 94
Tottenham 82
Chelsea 81
Arsenal 80
Man United 79

I think Liverpool will regain the lead then lose at Newcastle to hand the title to Man City.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's way too early to call the title.

It's nice being back on top but doesn't mean much atm. Liverpool will almost certainly be back on top by the end of March with us being involved in cup instead league games in a few weeks time.

And then we have a really tough stretch. Both teams will drop points between now and the end of the season, so it's very much still all to play for imo.

Just roll over you greedy campaigners, you’ve won enough titles this decade.

Sure it’s possible to lose to poorer sides, but if I give you 10 games against Man City and 10 games against Huddersfield, who do you think Liverpool would beat more often?

Tables like this aren’t perfect but do have some value as a rough guide to how difficult the run in for the top 6 will be based on how their opponents have actually performed on a PPG basis both at home and away over 30-odd games.

This is true, but these variables would only affect the validity of this table as a predictor of fixture difficulty if they affected some teams disproportionately more than others. I’m not sure that’s the case.

One variable which would impact it would be if some poorer teams had an unusually good record against top 6 sides (not just one-off results), which may well be true for 1 or 2 of them. I’m not sure.
if it's at anfield you'd beat us 10 times

How many teams have lost it from leading at Xmas Day?

The more pertinent question is how many teams were in second place after amassing 70 points on MD29. I suspect that may be a first.

In comparison Spurs were in the title race on 70 points going into MD36 when Leicester won the title. That gives an idea of how much more difficult it is to win the title this season against a club running i
on unlimited resources with one of the. GOAT managers at the helm.

lol Klopp cracking? look at the players for a little indication. the man knows how to win titles and isn't buckling under the massive weight of the cities expectations, he relishes that fight as we know from day one.

Looking at the remaining fixtures I still have a sneaky suspicion for Liverpool. City’s injuries mean they are unlikely to win all their remaining games. I think if Liverpool can win 8 of their remaining 9 then they’ll do it. Big ask though.

Liverpool have won the odd title themselves, so no ta. ;)
A good portion of the forum members probably weren’t even alive to experience them though. Romance is on their side for winning it, but unlike Leicester a few seasons ago for some reason no one wants them to do it

Back