Prediction The Tom and Jack show, how does it work?

How does it work?

• Jack plays from the square

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Agree with what most have posted here.

They will alternate from staying deep to roaming high.

this will generate possible matchup issues for opposition which we need to pounce on.

If we can be disciplined enough to keep a forward deep at all times it will help open the game up a bit for us by drawing players away, another win for us.

but the absolute biggest thing we need to do this year, and I have said it before, is when we mark the ball 70-80m out from goal, get the bloody thing in quickly. wheel and go, dont stuff around with it and waste 20 seconds letting the opposition flood back (unless its a time management thing)

If we can get the ball in quickly to a heap of 1 v 1 contests and cause some panic and chaos amongst the opposition defenders we will inflict a lot of scoreboard pain.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Dimma has wanted two KPF's for ages, TV didn't work out because he preferred the Jenkins role of getting it out the back and sooking.
Griff didn't work out and a chance he might've because he just kept getting injured and unfortunate for him the head injuries won out.

So what do we have to compare.....Jack and Towny late in 2017 dominating but that was only a pinch hitting partnership.

Jack and Lynch will be mouth watering.

Lynch playing close to home and Jack roaming up the ground, now when Jack takes a grab 70 to 80 out and instead of looking up and seeing only George, Caddy, Butters and Rioli as options..............he will see Big Tom as an option with the 3 smalls waiting for spills and Caddy one out with the 3rd best defender instead.
Fair point, there have been plenty of players tried as the second tall forward, Vickery, Griffiths, McBean and Callum Moore.Griffiths would have probably played there if he hadn't absconded to to the USA.

Coach_Required

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool & Boston Celtics
I think we start with Tom deep and Jack up high, playing the roaming role but both are more than capable in switching roles which will come in handy depending on match ups or if one is struggling to break his opponent.

The only weakness I can see in our team next year is the Ruck once Nank needs a rest, otherwise we have one of if not the best backline in the game, our forwardline is now one of the most dangerous and best and with the inclusion of Tom it will also improve our midfield hopefully but giving the likes of Higgins, Edwards, Rioli & Caddy more time on the ball in rotations.

Shazza_

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2018
Safeway carpark
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL
Agree with what most have posted here.

They will alternate from staying deep to roaming high.

this will generate possible matchup issues for opposition which we need to pounce on.

If we can be disciplined enough to keep a forward deep at all times it will help open the game up a bit for us by drawing players away, another win for us.

but the absolute biggest thing we need to do this year, and I have said it before, is when we mark the ball 70-80m out from goal, get the bloody thing in quickly. wheel and go, dont stuff around with it and waste 20 seconds letting the opposition flood back (unless its a time management thing)

If we can get the ball in quickly to a heap of 1 v 1 contests and cause some panic and chaos amongst the opposition defenders we will inflict a lot of scoreboard pain.
so u want to bomb it in

so u want to bomb it in

we already bomb it in, but we have had to do it very slowly while we wait for Jack or another marking target to get back which gave the opposition time to flood back with numbers.

we shouldn't have that issue with 2 big forwards, if the game plan of get the ball forward at all costs is still our mantra, then do it a lot quicker than we have been so we can make better use of the 1 v 1 contests we can now generate.

it can still be a calculated kick into space for the forwards to run onto though where possible.

we already bomb it in, but we have had to do it very slowly while we wait for Jack or another marking target to get back which gave the opposition time to flood back with numbers.

we shouldn't have that issue with 2 big forwards, if the game plan of get the ball forward at all costs is still our mantra, then do it a lot quicker than we have been so we can make better use of the 1 v 1 contests we can now generate.

it can still be a calculated kick into space for the forwards to run onto though where possible.

That is at the core of what I was saying.

We now have 4 guys that can play that stay at home forward. The 2 big guys will be the primary targets. But if they can clear out of forward 50 whilst we are bringing the ball in, and we have Dusty/Caddy one out, we still are likely to win. And the old "kick it to the grass" strategy will work better if the opposition has to absolutely mark Jack and Tom. Last year teams structured much better on our forward strategy and stuffed up the grass strategy and stopped a lot of our chaos ball. Strangely having more quality tall targets means we can play more chaos ball.

So yeah, kick it long to that marking target. When we had to rely on Jack sometimes we didn't have a target and teams covered the grass target. Look at our late 2017 games to see how many times we aimed at the grass going forward then. In 2018 when we tried that teams had someone sweeping back to pick that ball up. We then aimed for whoever was forward 50. And that free sweeper could cause a 2 on 1. You can't have that free sweeper if you want to stop Tom Lynch 30-50m from goal. And conversely if you want to stop us playing to our mediums and smalls you have to have Tom Lynch and Jack one out inside 50. :rainbow:

let's hope it works.

Not Important

never test the depth of water with both feet.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Lynch will play out of the square, Jack will play high half forward and be given the license to use his smarts where he sees it best.
He’s also our best kick inside 50, will be delicious.
i suspect they will interchange quite a bit as a means of making match-ups more difficult and our forward set-up less predictable.

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
The new "hands in the back" rule will have a bearing on how the marking forwards use it to their advantage, it will limit those defenders who intercept mark. Also the "no goal square rule" will allow those quick/long kick defenders to clear defensive zones more easily, so the importance of having marking targets and quick crumbers forward of the 50 is magnified. I can see a lot of ball being bombed inside 50 after it has been run out of defense. So players with speed in def 50 are going to be worth their weight in gold, thinking Menadue, Markov,et al linking with Short/Houli/Balta, and a good leading CHF who can take a grab is going to be worth a shipload more than last year.
I don't think the 6-6-6 rule will have much influence.

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
The new "hands in the back" rule will have a bearing on how the marking forwards use it to their advantage, it will limit those defenders who intercept mark. Also the "no goal square rule" will allow those quick/long kick defenders to clear defensive zones more easily, so the importance of having marking targets and quick crumbers forward of the 50 is magnified. I can see a lot of ball being bombed inside 50 after it has been run out of defense. So players with speed in def 50 are going to be worth their weight in gold, thinking Menadue, Markov,et al linking with Short/Houli/Balta, and a good leading CHF who can take a grab is going to be worth a shipload more than last year.
I don't think the 6-6-6 rule will have much influence.
Why do i have this feeling the ' hands in back ' rule is going to cause riots in the stands.........because it will as one forward for one team will get pinged for using it correctly while a player from the other side will give a shove and be awarded the mark.

6-6-6 will only effect those teams who love to run extras off the back of the square and have multiple loose players in defence, hello dees and pies.

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Why do i have this feeling the ' hands in back ' rule is going to cause riots in the stands.........because it will as one forward for one team will get pinged for using it correctly while a player from the other side will give a shove and be awarded the mark.

6-6-6 will only effect those teams who love to run extras off the back of the square and have multiple loose players in defence, hello dees and pies.
You're right, when does holding your ground become a push?

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
You're right, when does holding your ground become a push?
Of all the rule tweaks, this one will cause the most backlash i feel, i can see it in round 1....

Jack holds his ground and uses his hands to balance and takes the mark.....Razor Ray screams in from 100m away and pays a push in the back.
Curnow gives Astbury an almighty shove and Razor pays the mark.

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
nank to play 100% game time all year

only time off he will get is when he accidentally cracks someones skull apart and gets suspended

Yes this very much
In days gone by Rucks played in the ruck for majority of the game (100% when balled up in the square)
With Lynch/Riewoldt, I'd play Lynch around the forward 50 arc and Jack around the forward 50 arc, pushing up to the wing sometimes
Lynch kicks the ball 60 + metres very accurately
I for one wouldn't let Lynch Ruck, let Jack, Rioli etc (FWD line) and, Arsebury, Grimes etc (Backline) take it if Nank isn't in the area
Every club will know that Lynch will play FWD line, as if he will be on the wing or taking the ruck in the centre square!!!!
So there is no secret there, it's Riewoldt and the rest of our FWD line that will have them guessing.
Keep Lynch 90% 20-25 metres from goal and rotate everyone (Jack, Caddy, Martin, Rioli etc) through the FWD line to keep the mismatches going
I'm guessing a lot of our crumbers will be lining up for goal 20-25 metres out = loads more goals, less points
Go Tigers

Ralll

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
They will rotate pushing up the ground/leading in the 50/pushing into pockets/blocking for each other, all depending who has the advantage in each situation, and given their opponents at the time.
Jacks the perfect person to manage this situation given his love of studying the game. Cant wait.

Back