List Mgmt. The too early 2019 trade discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think if we can't pry Lukosius and or Rankine out of GC, then we should be making that our no 1 priority. If they are not for budging, then we need to see what it would cost to get their pick 2. If it cost Greenwood, pick 19 and maybe even swapping our 2020 1st with their 2020 2nd it would be absolutely worth it.
Any talk of going for Grundy now should be cautioned until we see how well ROB finishes this year out - if he keeps going like he is, then it would seem a big big cost to bring in a guy to a position we may have covered when we have the chance to go for elite mids or maybe bring back some top ranked SA youngsters

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
If we trade ROB at absolutely maximum we get a late 1st rounder in return. And given his lack of games I think even that would be pretty far fetched. At the same time we would be giving up our first ever top 3 pick, and paying Grundy $1.2M+...

So admittedly we would be getting a star of the competition, but for me, we are also losing a potentially a star with our top 3 pick, as well as what looks like a very strong young ruckman... Not to mention the Salary cap squeeze Grundy's contract would put on us in the next 5-6 years.

IMO ROB playing this well this early is a list management gold mine. Its like finding free money, and i'm talking boat loads of free money!

Yep. Put Sauce out to pasture (or keep him as backup in the SANFL on minimum $), give his contract to ROB, forget about Grundy - keep Carlton's pick and the $1.2M+ a year we would have been paying in salary if we went after Grundy.

Grundy is better than ROB, but ROB is good enough.

May 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWTFC,Chelsea,Glasgow Celtic,Lech Poznan
Luko's value keeps dropping we dont need him on our list yet, just wait another few years. Rankine is the one we want right now.
He's just a first year player Give him time. He's not in a club that allows him to develop in a lower comp and the NEAFL is not a great comp.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Heard on radio somewhere in the last few days something about a Victorian team interested in Sauce, Geelong maybe.
I'd heard GWS a month or so ago.

He'll have a few suitors looking for a short term fix. Carlton have Tom De Koning who they rate as being their next starting ruck, but he's raw as uncooked chicken at the moment and will need another year or two to develop.

plugger59

Team Captain
Jul 11, 2006
Largs North
AFL Club
Adelaide
What's the chance we've gone early on a deal that all party's have agreed to... but our need for that player has lessened somewhat in the last 2 months? Might involve a big red-head and the afore-mentioned. Can't be sure this story has any facts involved but I was assured it has.

What's the chance we've gone early on a deal that all party's have agreed to... but our need for that player has lessened somewhat in the last 2 months? Might involve a big red-head and the afore-mentioned. Can't be sure this story has any facts involved but I was assured it has.

What are the odds we already have an agreement with collingwood to trade for Grundy, but now we want to back out because of ROB?

Pretty unlikely I reckon.

Rise_up_Stiffy

Premiership Player
Sep 3, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I still think selling pick 1/2 for Luko and Rakine makes sense for both teams. We can chuck in a sweetener as well as a sign of good faith. Preferably fringe players.

I still think selling pick 1/2 for Luko and Rakine makes sense for both teams. We can chuck in a sweetener as well as a sign of good faith. Preferably fringe players.

Simply wont happen.
GC wouldn’t have spent pick 2 and 3 on them if they thought they couldn’t hold them past their first contract.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
Simply wont happen.
GC wouldn’t have spent pick 2 and 3 if they on them if they thought they couldn’t hold them past their first contract.

Yeah, that’s a question for next year when they’re out of contract, also will have more exposed form to tell us if they’re actually worth what we’d have to pay.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Makes sense for us but not them.
You don’t trade pick 2 & 3 for 1 after 1 year. Unless you’re the blues and you trade 1 for less than 2 & 3.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
GC need an experience ready made forward and big body midfield if Dew wants to win games next year (and not end up struggling like Bolton) so pick 1 or 2 and Jenkins and CEY for Lukosious and Rankine sounds about right. The quicker we can get them into our development system (which has been very good), the better for both players and us so this will be a win-win for both clubs (in particular if there are sign they want to leave the following year so GC will be getting less in return for them so best to deal with us a year earlier).

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
GC need an experience ready made forward and big body midfield if Dew wants to win games next year (and not end up struggling like Bolton) so pick 1 or 2 and Jenkins and CEY for Lukosious and Rankine sounds about right. The quicker we can get them into our development system (which has been very good), the better for both players and us so this will be a win-win for both clubs (in particular if there are sign they want to leave the following year so GC will be getting less in return for them so best to deal with us a year earlier).

Or he grabs Jarryd Roughead and CEY as free agents and keeps Luko and Rankine.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Or he grabs Jarryd Roughead and CEY as free agents and keeps Luko and Rankine.
Roughead is as cooked as Thompson was for us in his last year (he won't win Dew any games), Jenkins who despite his flaws this year his best is still very good (and CEY was added to make the deal look "good" for them). But like I said, if there are "hints" that both want to leave the following year, you would think it's better to deal with us if we have pick 1 or 2 and it's best for us to get them back after 1 year in GC.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
You're dreaming...

The GCS list management would get hung if they sanctioned that.
Not if GC "know" both will be leaving the following year, uncontracted the following year, GC will be lucky to get pick 1 combine for them given going by past history top 3 pick players get traded for pick 8 at best.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
They already have the big body midfielder in Will Brodie, now he's finally got his body right he will be an absolute top liner.

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
What are the odds we already have an agreement with collingwood to trade for Grundy, but now we want to back out because of ROB?

Pretty unlikely I reckon.
If we have an agreement, it can be in-principle only at this stage.

What would be the problem if we change our mind and cancel the deal or want to change it? (eg. if it had involved bLoos' ri pick, we can say we want to keep it)

ET Sloane Home

Debutant
Nov 25, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Three way trade:

Keath and 12 (GCS) to Melb for 5 and 23.
Greenwood and 5 to GCS for Lukosius and 12.
Lukosius and 23 to Adelaide for Greenwood and Keath.

Then:

19 and 34 to GWS for pick 8 (points trade for Green.

Crows go into the draft with Luko, 2, 8 and 23.

Look, it's far fetched, but this IS the internet ...
Problem with this is pick 8 is more points (1,551) than 19 and 34 (1,490), so they would never do that...

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I still think if gc are not for budging this year on trading either of luko or rankine even if the indicated they wanted out, then we should seriously be looking at whether we could tempt them for their pick 2 or 1 this year. It might involve giving up a good player and maybe the carlton 2nd and 2020 1st but if it allowed us to pair anderson and rowell with sloane, crouches and jones going forward..what a midfield that would be

Remove this Banner Ad

Back