List Mgmt. The too early 2019 trade discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Problem with this is pick 8 is more points (1,551) than 19 and 34 (1,490), so they would never do that...
Bugger - it USED to work when we weren't doing as well ...

I still think if gc are not for budging this year on trading either of luko or rankine even if the indicated they wanted out, then we should seriously be looking at whether we could tempt them for their pick 2 or 1 this year. It might involve giving up a good player and maybe the carlton 2nd and 2020 1st but if it allowed us to pair anderson and rowell with sloane, crouches and jones going forward..what a midfield that would be

How bad is Rankine’s injury? We are up to round 15 and still no word on him returning to GC line-up. Is there potentially anything more sinister at play here behind the scenes?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

How bad is Rankine’s injury? We are up to round 15 and still no word on him returning to GC line-up. Is there potentially anything more sinister at play here behind the scenes?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not sure but I would be taking it on face value that it is an injury and nothing else. They would love for him to be out there as he is a super talent

Does anyone know how Jackson Hately is travelling? Stats wise he seemed to go alright in the 2 senior games he's played.

Think the GWS midfielder factory might mean it will be tough for him to break into the side permanently. Might be a good one to target that wouldn't cost the world!

I think if we can't pry Lukosius and or Rankine out of GC, then we should be making that our no 1 priority. If they are not for budging, then we need to see what it would cost to get their pick 2. If it cost Greenwood, pick 19 and maybe even swapping our 2020 1st with their 2020 2nd it would be absolutely worth it.
Any talk of going for Grundy now should be cautioned until we see how well ROB finishes this year out - if he keeps going like he is, then it would seem a big big cost to bring in a guy to a position we may have covered when we have the chance to go for elite mids or maybe bring back some top ranked SA youngsters

Nah.
I'd say they are about our 15th priority.

I would not be wasting 1 or 2 this year on either of those guys with two superstar midfielders available.

what about the option to try and trade for GC pick 2 (or 1) to give us 1 & 2 to go to the draft with

Sounds great, but in order to do that we'd need to trade away a top 5 player.
Can't see Crouch x2, Laird, Smith, Milera being put on the trade table.

Jenkins, Gibbs, CEY, Greenwood, Kelly, Fog just won't be enough.

Sounds great, but in order to do that we'd need to trade away a top 5 player.
Can't see Crouch x2, Laird, Smith, Milera being put on the trade table.

Jenkins, Gibbs, CEY, Greenwood, Kelly, Fog just won't be enough.
with our abundance of half backs and some coming through, trading a mlera or laird for the pick would be a heavy price to pay, but if the club thought adding 2 of the best young mids going in Rowell and Anderson into the club would help us in the long run, I would accept that. The teams that tend to win flags are generally the ones with the best midfields and rowelll and anderson along with the crouches and sloane + jones to come would have us bat that deep it is worth consideration

with our abundance of half backs and some coming through, trading a mlera or laird for the pick would be a heavy price to pay, but if the club thought adding 2 of the best young mids going in Rowell and Anderson into the club would help us in the long run, I would accept that. The teams that tend to win flags are generally the ones with the best midfields and rowelll and anderson along with the crouches and sloane + jones to come would have us bat that deep it is worth consideration
we do have an embarrassment of riches across half back. Sometimes you have to make the tough calls. Glad I don't have to do that job!

what about the option to try and trade for GC pick 2 (or 1) to give us 1 & 2 to go to the draft with

I wouldnt want to be throwing away whatever it would cost to get 2 from GC (quite a bit).
We cant just package atkins and CEY and expect pick 2.

For a start I dont want either of them gone. They're good 'moneyball' options. Cheap and decent.

Does anyone know how Jackson Hately is travelling? Stats wise he seemed to go alright in the 2 senior games he's played.

Think the GWS midfielder factory might mean it will be tough for him to break into the side permanently. Might be a good one to target that wouldn't cost the world!
To answer your question about how Hately is travelling, he did put up 2 solid performances in the AFL but was forced out again by more senior players. In the NEAFL he has been really strong, and has put on a clinic the last couple of weeks prior to the bye. He'd be a good chance to play senior footy this week I reckon. I don't think GWS would give him up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To answer your question about how Hately is travelling, he did put up 2 solid performances in the AFL but was forced out again by more senior players. In the NEAFL he has been really strong, and has put on a clinic the last couple of weeks prior to the bye. He'd be a good chance to play senior footy this week I reckon. I don't think GWS would give him up.
Yeah been tough for him. 2 games, 21 and 22 touches. Not bad for your first 2 games - and then dropped! Hard side to crack.

Always rated him and was very disappointed we missed. Some the garbage written in here about him....too vanilla!!

So trade two SA local stars, one already an AA and the other with oodles of talent just starting to come into his prime for 2 18 year old Victorian "potential" top line midfielders is your suggestion? Less than Zero chance of that happening even if Laird and Milera were open to it, IMO neither would be enamored with the idea looking at their individual personalities from the outside.

Why don't we all just sit back and allow Reidy and Hamish do their stuff with list management and talent identification instead of all this Play Station talk?

So trade two SA local stars, one already an AA and the other with oodles of talent just starting to come into his prime for 2 18 year old Victorian "potential" top line midfielders is your suggestion? Less than Zero chance of that happening even if Laird and Milera were open to it, IMO neither would be enamored with the idea looking at their individual personalities from the outside.

Why don't we all just sit back and allow Reidy and Hamish do their stuff with list management and talent identification instead of all this Play Station talk?
I don't think anyone here is trying to tell Reidy & Hamish how to do their job but more interested about what the conversations they would be having are. If we were to trade one of our better players, IMO it would make sense for that to be a running half back player as we have a fair amount of depth?

Who is talking about trading 2 SA players - my hypothetical was offering one of them for pick 2 if the club thought getting Rowell and Anderson would take us forward. No way GC trade pick 2 (or 1) for a greenwood or Keath etc etc - they would want a star player for that pick and hence my hypothetical was offering up one of our top players in a position we have good depth in. This is just thinking outside the square to try and get ahead. No one wants to lose either of those guys but if the club were to think it would be the way to go, then I back them in

I don't think anyone here is trying to tell Reidy & Hamish how to do their job but more interested about what the conversations they would be having are. If we were to trade one of our better players, IMO it would make sense for that to be a running half back player as we have a fair amount of depth?
I would be pretty certain trading or whatever to get both Pick 1 & 2 wouldn't even have crossed their table currently at the mid season break and with the U18 Championships not even completed yet.

Yeah been tough for him. 2 games, 21 and 22 touches. Not bad for your first 2 games - and then dropped! Hard side to crack.

Always rated him and was very disappointed we missed. Some the garbage written in here about him....too vanilla!!
The vanilla tag was and still is beyond moronic. He was 6’3 and 83kg as a fricken draftee, give him a couple years and that frame could easily be 90kg+ of pure muscle. Plus he’s a ball magnet, is certainly not slow, got above average skills, kicks goals and is as good below his knees as he is the air.

To me if you were building a perfect midfielder in a computer game it would end up looking a hell of a lot like Jackson Hately

Heard on radio somewhere in the last few days something about a Victorian team interested in Sauce, Geelong maybe.

Like Demons were interested in Thommo to play in 2017. Sauce is done, nobody is after him, he’s manoeuvring for an extension with us. We’ll hear from him soon how keen he is to play on and Rowie and Bicks will be all over it.

Milera is going to develop to get more midfield time that Smith and Laird never got, so not sure why you'd be keen to move him on anyway.

If anyone put Milera or Laird on the trade table I would start supporting the Power.

That is not even a joke.
I wouldn't be happy either... but zero chance of me following the Power.

I would prefer to walk away completely!

If anyone put Milera or Laird on the trade table I would start supporting the Power.

That is not even a joke.

Milera wouldn’t make sense to me but Laird might, depending on the return.

His kicking is rubbish too often. Seems unable to hit a flat, low pass to a teammate. Which is fine most of the time when a long kick down the line out of defence is all that’s required; anything more seems beyond him.

(He’s Lairdy though, I do love him)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back