List Mgmt. The too early Jackson Edwards 2017 Draft Plan

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know for sure but imagine this is due to SANFL rules that they couldn't play in the Crows' reserves having grown up playing in junior teams of North & Glenelg. The Crows would maybe have to set up junior teams (U18, U16?) if they were allowed to by the SANFL in order to have control of development of their F-S candidates but would it be worth it for less than a handful of candidates in each age group?

Wonder if the Crows could strike a deal with a non-SANFL suburban club for our F-S juniors to develop through might work, then maybe be our top-up players in the SANFL when they get old enough.

Crows getting underage teams is a really good idea but sadly, won't happen. I think the possibility of the SANFL creating an independent under 16's and under 18's compertition has more chance and then the father son player could join the crows in their 16th or 17th year. That might happen but I doubt it.

Adelaide has it's Next Gen Academy for F/S players. It's been up and running for several years, and both Jarman & Edwards were involved.

Unless it's changed recently the Next Gen Academy more about club interaction and outreach at a social level than anything about football development. They certainly don't limit it to kids that only play football. While they are allowed to do some training, it's nothing like the Sydney system

Unless it's changed recently the Next Gen Academy more about club interaction and outreach at a social level than anything about football development. They certainly don't limit it to kids that only play football. While they are allowed to do some training, it's nothing like the Sydney system
Do we at least give them a fantastic shirt?

Sydney initially set up the academy when it became clear that they were going to lose COLA. The pushed every spare cent they had into the academy. As COLA was being fazed out they were developing their next generation of local players. Many of those players may have followed pathways into the other major sporting codes.

Personally I think they showed a lot of vision both for themselves and growing the AFL in the eastern states.
The academies are a huge rort still and need to stop or be rolled out further . It is insanely unfair . Sydney will never need to rebuild by dropping down the ladder .

Crows getting underage teams is a really good idea but sadly, won't happen. I think the possibility of the SANFL creating an independent under 16's and under 18's compertition has more chance and then the father son player could join the crows in their 16th or 17th year. That might happen but I doubt it.

I have no doubt that within a decade the SANFL will be 2.10 Saturdays and maybe a Reserves Comp.

All talent programs will be handled by the AFL Clubs. 3-4 Academy areas each having 6-8 Team competitions at 14, 16 and 18 level.

I have no doubt that within a decade the SANFL will be 2.10 Saturdays and maybe a Reserves Comp.

All talent programs will be handled by the AFL Clubs. 3-4 Academy areas each having 6-8 Team competitions at 14, 16 and 18 level.

I have the same feeling as you but the 2 AFL clubs would need some recruitment incentives before agreeing to finance underage development.

Hi,

What do people think Jackson Edwards will cost in the draft? Aware someone can match our pick but I think we should go high. Thanks.

Hi,

What do people think Jackson Edwards will cost in the draft? Aware someone can match our pick but I think we should go high. Thanks.

Wasn't selected the go to national draft combine, only state, which suggests limited interest but difficult to tell. May be clubs playing funny buggers, but I suspect unless clubs have academy/Father-Son players projecting within their top 15-20 players on their list, they don't worry too much about them. Gary Buckinara has him inside his top 30 though so who knows.

I suspect maybe 3rd round or later, 2nd round at a push if there's one club that really likes him.

Numbers of games played really don't tell us anything. I give you Jarman Impey.... and David Mackay.

For success of a draft pick it kinda does. After all pass point for most, if not all picks (top 3-5 being the exception) is a drafted player playing AFL.

From that point it becomes a question of how successful the pick was.

For a Jarman Impey, you could argue it was a successful pick, but equally he's a dud due to not developing his game so he's a good solid player.

For a Matt Crouch the pick was not only successful but now looking like a masterstroke as he developed more than most people thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi. Given he wasn't invited to the Combine I don't think there are too many other clubs interested in him. I reckon we'll get away without paying much for him at all
My only slight concern would be Port putting in a bid a bit earlier than expected to draw us out if they have their eye on another SA player we've got interest in. i.e. Nathan Krueger, Jordan Houlahan, Harrison Petty, Charlie Ballard who have all shown AFL like attributes.

If they had their eye on another player wouldn't they just take him though?

Otherwise they'd get Jackson and we'd probably get the other player they had their eye on.

I don't think either us or Port have made draft selections to spite/trying to second guess the other. (We could have taken Ebert instead of Dangerfield to spite them, for example, but we saw Dangerfield as the better player.)

My only slight concern would be Port putting in a bid a bit earlier than expected to draw us out if they have their eye on another SA player we've got interest in. i.e. Nathan Krueger, Jordan Houlahan, Harrison Petty, Charlie Ballard who have all shown AFL like attributes.
Do we think Port are going up or down next year? They have no first rounder this year so I think we should offer our pick 18 for their 2018 first rounder and have them agree not to bid on Jackson.
I think they head back down the table next year and out of the 8.

Do we think Port are going up or down next year? They have no first rounder this year so I think we should offer our pick 18 for their 2018 first rounder and have them agree not to bid on Jackson.
I think they head back down the table next year and out of the 8.
I'm thinking they wont get to play the bottom 10 teams 16 times next year, so probably down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back