List Mgmt. The too early Jackson Edwards 2017 Draft Plan

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither will come close IMO but are highly unlikely to be delisted.
Wasn't Menzel given a 3 year deal when he was traded? Unless he completely stuffs up I don't think we'll cut him. He's a capable forward at worst, whether he can develop into someone who can rotate through the middle remains to be seen.

Wasn't Menzel given a 3 year deal when he was traded? Unless he completely stuffs up I don't think we'll cut him. He's a capable forward at worst, whether he can develop into someone who can rotate through the middle remains to be seen.
That was my understanding yes. Both would want good summers and luck with injury but both are very capable AFL players.

This will be his 5th year in the AFL. If a small/mid sized player hasn't established themselves in the best 22 after that long, then there are long odds of them ever doing so. Rucks can easily take 5 years to mature. KPPs sometimes. Smalls & mids.. not so much.

40 games and 47 goals in his 1st 3 seasons suggests he was reasonably established. injuries in his 3rd seasons were well documentented, in conjunction with poor training ethic/practices left him rocking up to his 4th season in poor physical shape. I'm not sure he quite fits this model, however, he'd still want to be cementing his spot in the side pretty soon.

No Menzel was given a 4 year deal

So at this stage are we thinking get another young gun with our first pick and Edwards with a combination of later picks?

Yeah we should be able to. My one and only source who does some local scouting for an interstate club reckons he's a late second rounder to third rounder at the moment so we should be able to keep our first and use later picks. I've rated what he's said ever since he told me Toumpas was a spud amongst all his pre-draft hype and he was proved right there. (He also likes Gallucci too:)).

483226-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

Yeah we should be able to. My one and only source who does some local scouting for an interstate club reckons he's a late second rounder to third rounder at the moment so we should be able to keep our first and use later picks. I've rated what he's said ever since he told me Toumpas was a spud amongst all his pre-draft hype and he was proved right there. (He also likes Gallucci too:)).
so in other words someone will try to bid on Edwards with a top 5 pick because they have NFI lol

Missing out on a trip of a lifetime going on what the boys that have been in previous years have said....

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2017-01-16/afl-academy-members-fly-to-us

Is Jackson doing the same work load as our first year draftees? If so then I think staying with us will be better for his career. That trip means nothing to his career. The kid is a certainty to be drafted by us, so he will already have a full pre-season under his belt. This will effectively mean he will have 2 full pre-seasons with the club under his belt before R1, 2018.

I'd heard from a friend who spoke to a Melbourne scout and they reckon Toumpas's problem was all between the ears. He works his butt off on the track to get in great condition, but he's so obsessed with not messing up and having the "perfect game" that as soon as he makes a mistake he gets down on himself and it all falls down from there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd heard from a friend who spoke to a Melbourne scout and they reckon Toumpas's problem was all between the ears. He works his butt off on the track to get in great condition, but he's so obsessed with not messing up and having the "perfect game" that as soon as he makes a mistake he gets down on himself and it all falls down from there.
Wouldn't they have found a psychologist to work with him if this was the case?

Is Jackson doing the same work load as our first year draftees? If so then I think staying with us will be better for his career. That trip means nothing to his career. The kid is a certainty to be drafted by us, so he will already have a full pre-season under his belt. This will effectively mean he will have 2 full pre-seasons with the club under his belt before R1, 2018.
Don't think so, I'm almost certain it said in an article that it was only for a period of time, and anyway he'd still need to finish school so when the school term starts he'd be gone.

He looks quite skilful and very composed with the ball for him to be rated that far down the pecking order for now. Interesting...

Don't think so, I'm almost certain it said in an article that it was only for a period of time, and anyway he'd still need to finish school so when the school term starts he'd be gone.

Shame. But I am sure they have already mapped out a suitable program for him to follow. Not as good as a full preseason though.

I don't think we can cross them off at all. They're in their mid-20s, with 50-odd games under their belts. If they can't establish themselves this year, without a damn good reason (i.e. Hampton's injury last year) then the club may well decided to cut their losses. Lots of ifs & maybes there, but I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility.
Its very unlikely given the other names you mentioned are likely to be gone. We can't turn over 10 players next year.

Its very unlikely given the other names you mentioned are likely to be gone. We can't turn over 10 players next year.

I liked the delisting threads we had at the beginning of the last few seasons. I know it seems harsh to write a player off before the season started. But it did also make people look silly. I remember people nominating Jaensch and Laird prior to break out seasons. So much can change in 30 weeks.

Wondered about that. Any reason why he's not in the squad?
I reckon Sticks Phillips would have a major say in who gets an invite to the Academy Squad along with input from all the AFL clubs recruiters......I'm guessing but probably along the lines of the criteria for National Draft Combine Invitees... Jeffcrowe ??

With how Hamish seems to operate (pick best available talent), I'm assuming that JE would either have to be really good, or we think he might fall a bit and be worth a later pick if we nominate him.

With how Hamish seems to operate (pick best available talent), I'm assuming that JE would either have to be really good, or we think he might fall a bit and be worth a later pick if we nominate him.

Yes, I think there might be a problem if JE is somehow selected before us in the first round. I know the question is why would another club want him if he wasnt good enough to match. But next year is supposed to have a good selection of talls and I dont know if we can afford to miss out on a quality tall key position player or another JPK type midfielder if he ranks higher than Jackson on our talent list. I think we could deviate from our list order in matching for JE in possibly the second round if its a late pick and just a by a few positions. But otherwise, I would think we would go with say another Poholke over a JE if we thought Poholke was the better prospect.

Having said that, I am assuming that JE will not be a first or second round pick from what I saw of that U17 game. Does anybody know where he is expected to be taken at this stage (long way to go).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back