List Mgmt. The too early Jackson Edwards 2017 Draft Plan

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is a player we want to rookie, then we don't rate him high enough to take in the national draft in the first place. So we end up exactly where we started, the only change being is we take another speculative gamble on a one-year, no lose situation, rookie contract.
But you've just said there is no longer any difference between them being on the main list or the rookie list. This is my whole point. If we end up keeping a player for 2 years and paying them the same whether they are on main or rookie list, then why take the risk of missing someone purely to have them as rookies.
Surely there has to be a real reason, do rookie salaries not count towards salary cap or something.

What I'm saying is absolutely head over heart. What I've seen of Jackson, he doesn't look likely to make AFL at all so I certainly don't want us to take him for any romantic reason. but if you don't think the PR battle with Port matters to both clubs 7 your fooling yourself. We only have 1 competitor in this marketplace and it is a very lucrative market. Over a hundred thousand members between them as well as sponsorship dollars, merchandise, TV ratings and endorsements. It would have to be over a hundred million dollar per year market and with the horrible standard of media here we have to be aware of Port. And I can assure you if in a years time we play a showdown and Jackson Edwards is staring for Port, it will matter financially and emotionally to a lot of people.
End of the day I am purely questioning our strategy not our talent evaluation, and the strategy seems very questionable.
I'd say you are heart over head on this one.

The difference:

Round 3 onwards - 2 years. Year 1 minimum 76,000
Rookie - 1 year. Minimum 71,500

Should rookie get a 2nd year, the payment is 85,000 vs 75,000

So it's a saving of $14,500 over 2 years.

Chump change in a TPP of $12,445,028

Cost included under Salary Cap over 2 years:
Round 3 onwards $161k
Rookie $0

Not chump change.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Rory Sloane says hi

So we're comparing him to Rory Sloane now? My God! We should take him with pick 12! In fact we'll be lucky if he lasts that long!

Just for the record, Rory wasn't eligible for the rookie draft in 2007, different draft rules and in fact on current rules wouldn't have been eligible for the draft at all. Fair chance we would have taken Rory in the rookie draft if we could have that year.

I don't have a problem with us giving him a go, just don't understand the massive circle jerk that goes along with it, building him up to be the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ.

But yeah, because Rory Sloane became a gun, we just MUST draft Murphy.

So we're comparing him to Rory Sloane now? My God! We should take him with pick 12! In fact we'll be lucky if he lasts that long!

Just for the record, Rory wasn't eligible for the rookie draft in 2007, different draft rules and in fact on current rules wouldn't have been eligible for the draft at all. Fair chance we would have taken Rory in the rookie draft if we could have that year.

I don't have a problem with us giving him a go, just don't understand the massive circle jerk that goes along with it, building him up to be the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ.

Only one person said we must draft him, what I'm saying and a couple of others is Lachie is well worthy of consideration for a rookie spot on our list after an outstanding 2016 TAC campaign and a very good season for us as a development player in the SANFL in 2017 that ultimately saw him win the Dean Bailey Award on presentation night. The fact we invited Lachie over as a development player this season would indicate we had interest and it appears he's training with the squad at the start of the 2017/18 pre-season so that likely indicates he's under consideration again....he doesn't turn 19 until next month and would have been eligible for U18's this season if he was born 3 weeks later.

Luke Brown is another we overlooked in his draft year but luckily with the advent of GWS entering the competition my recollection is we were able to lock him away in the ensuing mini draft for the following year??

We're not taking him at pick 39.

I am not sure why people are still trying to convince themselves otherwise, I thought Justin Reid's comments were pretty self explanatory.

If we were even remotely considering drafting him we would have just nominated him as a father son pick in the draft.

I just hope that if ends up elsewhere that we don't come to regret it because I know Rucci will be more than happy to bring it up ad nauseam for the next decade.
This has a decade of ass biting coming up for us. Talented local lad son of a champion goes to the scum and wins Showdown Medal, ROTY, Brownlow and Norm Smith all in the one year.

What I'm saying is absolutely head over heart. What I've seen of Jackson, he doesn't look likely to make AFL at all so I certainly don't want us to take him for any romantic reason. but if you don't think the PR battle with Port matters to both clubs your fooling yourself. We only have 1 competitor in this marketplace and it is a very lucrative market. Over a hundred thousand members between them as well as sponsorship dollars, merchandise, TV ratings and endorsements. It would have to be over a hundred million dollar per year market and with the horrible standard of media here we have to be aware of Port. And I can assure you if in a years time we play a showdown and Jackson Edwards is staring for Port, it will matter financially and emotionally to a lot of people.
End of the day I am purely questioning our strategy not our talent evaluation, and the strategy seems very questionable.
Sure it matters, but again, the club isn't going to be run purely to counter what Port does/could do. By that logic we should have signed Jack Trengove just because he's from Adelaide.

And we have 17 other competitors in the market place, not just 1.

Round 3 onwards $161k
Rookie $0

Not chump change.

Would love to know just how tight our salary cap space is.

If we simply don't rate the draft, another DFA could be in the pipeline. If we're hard up against the cap, then we might load up on rookies.

I don't want to see a repeat of last year's rookie draft though. If we've got spots free, use them.

It's up to them, they only go where they've agreed to go for their last roll of the dice. Nobody else but us grabs Beech in a rookie draft for that exact reason. It's not like the kids in the ND. Picking a mature rookie and have him say,"nah, not uprooting the family mate, I'll just move on to the next phase" is a was of time when there's 20 more just like him who will fulfill a depth requirement quite happily. They're not bouncing around the country like ND picks.

Just on this, the club must pay relocation costs outside of the TPP. So it wouldn't cost a mature rookie anything to move to SA, and back again.

And there are 4 personal flights paid for during the year.

13. Allowances

(b)"A First Year Draft Choice Player or Rookie who is delisted from an AFL Club’s List after one or two years of service and returns to the Player’s home state or region shall be entitled to be reimbursed for the reasonable removalists costs and economy class air fare/other travel costs for the Player."

It’s really not complicated

Rookies are outside the salary cap. Pick 75 would be inside the salary cap.

Two listed players * 80k pa is 160k pa. That’s 160k pa to spend on your difference makers.

The cost of waiting for the rookie draft is a low chance of losing an opportunity to draft someone with a low chance of becoming an AFL standard player.

The benefit of waiting for the rookie draft is 160k of cap space. This matters - eg we offer M Crouch 160k less than a decent Melbourne based team offers him, there’s a good chance he leaves.

I reckon many clubs will go with 38 + rookies

Two listed players * 80k pa is 160k pa. That’s 160k pa to spend on your difference makers.

The cost of waiting for the rookie draft is a low chance of losing an opportunity to draft someone with a low chance of becoming an AFL standard player.

The benefit of waiting for the rookie draft is 160k of cap space. This matters - eg we offer M Crouch 160k less than a decent Melbourne based team offers him, there’s a good chance he leaves.

This. So it could be mrouch + rookie vs edwards + random trade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are players getting greedier ? With a smaller salary cap years ago we still fielded 40 players + rookies. Now the cap is bigger we only field 38 !

Are players getting greedier ? With a smaller salary cap years ago we still fielded 40 players + rookies. Now the cap is bigger we only field 38 !
It was destined to happen and teams only have themselves to blame when they're throwing out $1.5 million contract offers to get guys to come over. The new CBA was always going to make the rich richer and slowly shrink the middle class and grow the lower, much like real life.

I ****ed up the quote and am on my phone so...

The PR battle between us and port doesn't matter; it means 9/10ths of sweet * all and can only serve to * a club up

If Port want to pick him purely to one up us, they are welcome to him. Damn dumb management though.

If he's nominated with 40, it would move our 2018 3rd round pick out about 14 places.

In effect (based on '17), it would revert our pick from Carlton's 39 to Adelaide's 54 - negating the part of the trade we did to get Carlton's pick in the first place.
Or we could just not match if we think he is not worth the pick.

Round 3 onwards $161k
Rookie $0

Not chump change.

I suspect this is the main issue for running 38 on the main list & having additional rookies, as it is extra $'s we can throw at Sloane, Crouch, Laird, etc.

It was destined to happen and teams only have themselves to blame when they're throwing out $1.5 million contract offers to get guys to come over. The new CBA was always going to make the rich richer and slowly shrink the middle class and grow the lower, much like real life.
With free agency, stars will take up an ever-greater share of the cap.

Teams will be forced to become more ruthless with their first team non-star players like Jenkins, Hartigan, Brown types. Because someone else will be ruthless with those types, keeping cap space to take a run at the stars of other teams.

Any team who doesn’t like it can look forward to their best players walking out the door every year.

He was brilliant in the SANFL this year, he's under our noses and deserves to be on a list.

Would love to know just how tight our salary cap space is.

If we simply don't rate the draft, another DFA could be in the pipeline. If we're hard up against the cap, then we might load up on rookies.

I don't want to see a repeat of last year's rookie draft though. If we've got spots free, use them.
Depends on the quality of the players left in the draft. No point in drafting someone who our recruiters just don't rate at all. Why pay a salary to a player you know will never amount to anything while his bum points to the ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back