The Toon Army Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah massive stinker. I guess the silver lining is we got a reminder that we can't just expect to steam roll teams.

We actually play Wolves again in the cup on Tuesday(?) morning I think. Perfect chance for Rafa to rejig the squad and give others a go especially after a disappointing loss where not many could come out with any credit.

Maybe starts for Darlow, Yedlin, Lazaar, Murphy and Atsu at the very least. Yedlin especially has a chance to claim the RB spot with Anita's red.

Bit of revenge haha - would have still liked 3 points in the league too but nice to see a rotated squad bounce back with a win.

Gouff didn't play on the weekend and we lost. Reinstated back into the team and we win (won 6 on the trot before that and think he featured in all 6). He's the key!

FYI here's the team.
14440853_1367316719945237_7026679580273198805_n.jpg

Nice to see we won. Also like that we have rotated a few new players through, vital that everyone gets match fitness.

Yeah definitely. I think Wolves also made about 8 changes to their team (same as us I think I read). But still encouraging to get the result with a rotated squad. Great incentive for the players who've had to wait for their chances as well due to our (recent) winning run. Big games against Villa and Norwich to come. Could potentially shape our season - especially Norwich who just leapfrogged us on the weekend.

We have also drawn Preston in the next round of the cup - at home too. Great result for us as there are quite a few PL vs PL ties.

I also read the last time we beat Wolves in the cup, we went on to win the whole thing. Maybe Rafa will end the trophy drought sooner than we think? The man certainly has a great record in cup competitions... ;)

Anyone catch the game? I wanted to but when I saw it was 2.30am kick off for us in Melbourne I decided not to. :p

1-1 away to Villa. Apparently we squandered quite a few chances to make it a win too. Conceding late hurts a bit as well.

Norwich at home in mid week - they are now on top. Big game for us as we've slipped from the top 2&3!

Yeah I watched most of it. Fell asleep in the second half. We were so far better than them it wasn't funny. Deserved to be 4-0 up.

Haha good effort!

Yeah I heard we could have easily romped it - makes it more annoying I suppose.

Lascelles said in a tweet after the game that it 'felt like a loss' so that's a good sign that they expect more from themselves rather than just accepting the result. Hopefully can take our chances against Norwich.

Actually speaking of twitter, apparently Sels deleted his account because he was getting abused by some fans. Pretty poor form if true.

Haha good effort!

Yeah I heard we could have easily romped it - makes it more annoying I suppose.

Lascelles said in a tweet after the game that it 'felt like a loss' so that's a good sign that they expect more from themselves rather than just accepting the result. Hopefully can take our chances against Norwich.

Actually speaking of twitter, apparently Sels deleted his account because he was getting abused by some fans. Pretty poor form if true.

Yeah really disappointing not to win! Gayle was particularly poor with his finishing.

That's a shame, Gayle was in some rare form before too before his concussion in the cup. Hopefully can find that touch again!

This club eh lads? :D

So many chances in the first half to put a few into the new. Eventually get one.

Norwich get a penalty with their first foray forward and the teams go in at HT 1-1.

Second half, Norwich score another 2 and we are looking down the barrel.

71st minute we pull 1 back to make it 3-2.

90th minute comes and goes. And then...

95th min 3-3
96th min Newcastle wins 4-3.

Gayle with 3, Gouf with 1. What a win! Left it super late but did just enough to get the 3 much needed points!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I woke up during the game and checked the scores, we were 2-1 down. Went back to sleep angry, and when I checked it when I got up for work I couldn't believe it!

Lose and we are 10th - that's absolutely huge for us. Got a softer game coming up too (Rotherham away), hopefully another 3 points to keep on building.

I woke up during the game and checked the scores, we were 2-1 down. Went back to sleep angry, and when I checked it when I got up for work I couldn't believe it!

Lose and we are 10th - that's absolutely huge for us. Got a softer game coming up too (Rotherham away), hopefully another 3 points to keep on building.
Sounds like me. I went on to have nightmares of us losing 6-2 and copping 3 goals after the 85th minute

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yeah definitely! Early days in the season but could be a season defining result - lose and we get caught up in the mire of midtable....but a win puts us right on the heels of the leaders!

Need to get a win at Rotherham now, got to keep working on grinding out wins!

Sounds like me. I went on to have nightmares of us losing 6-2 and copping 3 goals after the 85th minute

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Revenge for what we did to them last season haha.

Thankfully didn't happen!

Gayle equal top scorer, just watched the highlights and he could have scored 5. Highlights on youtube here:

At the end when Gayle scores the winner, did anyone notice Mitro nearly killed him!

I guess he wants the number 9 shirt still haha.

Nice to have a televised game again!

Hopefully another 3 points coming up - Astu to make his starting debut and Anita back to RB for Ritchie and Yedlin!

Class goal from Atsu! We haven't been very good though, that was very much against the run of play

Very true, they are stiff to be 1-0 down to be fair.

I guess we need to win even when we're off our best - promotion teams grind out the results. Hopefully we can do that. The goal should relieve some of the pressure (I hope). :D

I trust Rafa without question but the sooner Colback and Dummett are out of the side the better. In particular I would play Hayden ahead of Colback for sure.
Haven't really been a huge fan of Diame either - would prefer Ayoze in that role behind the striker.

I trust Rafa without question but the sooner Colback and Dummett are out of the side the better. In particular I would play Hayden ahead of Colback for sure.
Haven't really been a huge fan of Diame either - would prefer Ayoze in that role behind the striker.

Yeah I trust Rafa too but I have to admit, his squad rotation policy certainly causes a few raised eyebrows! Would love to Lazaar get a go at LB and even Jesus get some game time at RB.

Diame has been a bit flat the last few games I reckon - wouldn't be the worst idea I would have thought to drop him to the bench just to give him a bit of a kick up the backside. I'd like to see 2 up top in some games whether that be Perez, Gayle, Mitro or even Murphy. Especially against those teams we are expected to beat.

Though I trust Rafa's judgement. Seems to be going fairly well so far! :p

Speaking of Diame, should have scored just then!

Need to get a second from somewhere to sew up the result...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back