The Toon Army Thread

Can you lot come back? Got the feeling we'll need 6 points again....

Maybe in a few months.... for now, life in the Championship is good!
jem_4371_copy_0.jpg

4-0 win sends us back on top. Another master class from Shelvey - now with 10 assists for the season and a double for Ritchie, who has 10 goals for the season. Murphy chipped in with a third goal in 3 games - really showing why Rafa signed him. Great depth option with Gayle and Mitro out. Perez nabbed one too which should be good for his confidence given he's been a bit hot and cold.

Was interesting to see Sammy Ameobi named on the bench and even more of a surprise to see him get a sub appearance. I guess with Atsu away, Rafa might be keen to give Ritchie and Gouff a bit of support to keep them rotated and fresh.

4-0 win sends us back on top. Another master class from Shelvey - now with 10 assists for the season and a double for Ritchie, who has 10 goals for the season. Murphy chipped in with a third goal in 3 games - really showing why Rafa signed him. Great depth option with Gayle and Mitro out. Perez nabbed one too which should be good for his confidence given he's been a bit hot and cold.

Was interesting to see Sammy Ameobi named on the bench and even more of a surprise to see him get a sub appearance. I guess with Atsu away, Rafa might be keen to give Ritchie and Gouff a bit of support to keep them rotated and fresh.
And Scumderland lost!

scon

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
Was the game telecast?
Just watched the highlights and Shelvey was the brains of the operation.
Murphy's and Perez's goals were very slick.

Last edited:
Was the game telecast?

Wasn't live I don't think but I caught a bit of the replay. We looked like we were in cruise control throughout, clear division in class. Got to keep on rolling and automatic qualification should look after itself.

Was the game telecast?

Wasn't live I don't think but I caught a bit of the replay. We looked like we were in cruise control throughout, clear division in class. Got to keep on rolling and automatic qualification should look after itself.

I'm not sure if it was televised here locally but I found someone broadcasting it live on facebook on Saturday night through one of the toon groups. Caught the second half which was good viewing (3 of the goals in that half).

Could clearly see the difference between the league leader's and the league's bottom club.

Lucky I saw your post it's on now;missed the first half.

Haha. Yeah apparently the first half was a pretty drab affair. Rotherham to their credit parked the bus, defended in numbers and tried to nullify Shelvey. Finally got a breakthrough just before HT which was lucky - apparently all the games we've lost this season, we have failed to score in the first half so that would have been a bad omen.

Darlow got himself in a bit of a situation but then produced a really good save after Clark (yes our one) took him out. Yedlin was immense to. 2 assists I think and his recovery speed to help salvage the situation was pretty important.

Guess who came #1 in something?

We're number 1! We're number 1! :cool:

What a horrible sounding performance last night. Another failed cup run under Ashley. Even with a few of those names starting, how do you lose 3-0 to Oxford!?

Not wrong! I was feeling pretty sick on Saturday night so opted for an early night instead of listening to the game. Made the right call I think haha.

Saw the team we put out and it really should have won to be honest so to lose 3 nil is pretty embarrassing. Haven't even bothered to read any match reports! :p

Aussie Curtis Good started for us (first start) since 2013. Hopefully he wasn't at fault for some of the goals lol.

Some talk we'll try and get Townsend done on loan with option to buy in the summer with Mbemba going to Palace on loan (as they need defenders to shore up that defence apparently).

Given we have Lascelles, Clark, Hanley, the returning Good and that kid Findlay, we probably have enough cover to loan out a CB. Mbemba hasn't played since October as well which means he probably wouldn't be a big loss at this point in time.

scon

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
January transfer window goes on for 6 mths.o_O
At least after today it's back to business.
Townsend will get done you'd think,it's been discussed every day of January.
Otherwise we'll just have to do it with what's there already.
Sounds as though Murphy has gone past Mitro and Perez as 2nd striker though;at least on the Oxford game form!

Some talk we'll try and get Townsend done on loan with option to buy in the summer with Mbemba going to Palace on loan (as they need defenders to shore up that defence apparently).

Given we have Lascelles, Clark, Hanley, the returning Good and that kid Findlay, we probably have enough cover to loan out a CB. Mbemba hasn't played since October as well which means he probably wouldn't be a big loss at this point in time.

The problem is Mbemba is actually better than all of the guys you've listed there (probably on par with Lascelles). He had one bad game and was booted from the team.

I'd hate to see us give up on him. He's quality and has had a good amount of PL experience.

January transfer window goes on for 6 mths.o_O
At least after today it's back to business.
Townsend will get done you'd think,it's been discussed every day of January.
Otherwise we'll just have to do it with what's there already.
Sounds as though Murphy has gone past Mitro and Perez as 2nd striker though;at least on the Oxford game form!

Yeah, seems Mitro missed a penalty and a glut of chances before Oxford punished us. Can't help but feel he was probably up against it coming back from injury - especially when he had barely played before the injury as well. I guess a striker proves his worth though by seizing his chance when they come. Murphy starts that game and we probably would have won. I think Gayle force is back in training though so hopefully the goals will return soon.

No return for Toonsend but at least we got Sammy Ameobi back! :D

The problem is Mbemba is actually better than all of the guys you've listed there (probably on par with Lascelles). He had one bad game and was booted from the team.

I'd hate to see us give up on him. He's quality and has had a good amount of PL experience.

Not wrong at all - I rate Mbemba highly also. Would probably have him ahead of Clark but Clark and Lascelles have generally played well together. It's good for Mbemba to be getting game time at the cup of nations. Should give him some competitive football so he comes back to us ready and sharp if he gets a reprieve in the first team.

Not wrong at all - I rate Mbemba highly also. Would probably have him ahead of Clark but Clark and Lascelles have generally played well together. It's good for Mbemba to be getting game time at the cup of nations. Should give him some competitive football so he comes back to us ready and sharp if he gets a reprieve in the first team.

Clark is probably a better defender (and taller) but Mbemba is much better on the ball. You're right though we do have plenty of depth, thank god we've moved on from playing players like a 35 year old Colo, Taylor and Willo. The current crop is better by far.

Clark is probably a better defender (and taller) but Mbemba is much better on the ball. You're right though we do have plenty of depth, thank god we've moved on from playing players like a 35 year old Colo, Taylor and Willo. The current crop is better by far.

In fairness, wouldn't have taken much to beat those grubs!

Speaking of Taylor, he's joined Ipswich and Obertan has signed for Wigan lol.

Disgraceful performance this morning. I watched the second half. We were clearly better but wasted a huge amount of chances (Perez is AWFUL at the moment). The own goal by Clark was a howler. He and Darlow both at fault. Our ploy of taking Murphy off and bringing Sammy on to sure things up definitely didn't work. Mitro should have come on late too.

To many things much much worse, I wouldn't be surprised if they ban Shelvey for a bunch of games for a stupid kick at an opposition player that the ref missed.

Back