The Toon Army Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We are very similar points wise to the last time in the championship, its just an unprecedented point scoring from the top 4 that is making it seem tighter. Some club will break the record points in a season without promotion.

Watched the last 10 minutes of the game this morning, was pretty surreal! 8 points clear, 12 games to go.

Sounds like you chose the best 10 mins of the game to watch haha!

I got off the train with it 1-0 and figured we'd probably lose. By the time I got to work, we'd snatched a 2-1 lead and then the win. Madness.

Haven't watched it yet but can't say I was confident.Their form has been far better,but the job is nearing completion!
Lovely result!

I think I read they were unbeaten at home going back to October or November last year? The best home side vs the best away side, the top 2 on the table going at it.

Would have taken a draw personally but happily take the 3 points. Now 8 points clear of Huddersfield in third so have a bit of breathing room again.

We haven't lost a league game since 2nd Jan, only one loss this year. We haven't been that amazing but getting the job done.

Agree. Been pretty shaky at times but the best sides grind out results when they need to.

Plus we've basically been without Gayle for all that time too and then Shelvey before that. Hayden going down hurt us too. Thankfully Anita and Gayle are close to returns.

Watched the game and we weren't really outplayed.Each had their periods of dominance.Shelvey very wasteful.Anything over 20 metres ended up with Brighton.Attempted some ridiculous passes.
Diame had an average day but never stopped.Backline very organised,Darlow outstanding and Richie's 50 m pass onto Atsu's big toe to set up Perez for the winner was the pass and move of the game.

Yeah we ended up with more possession, shots etc but I think Brighton had more 'quality' chances to score - only some Darlow heroics keeping us in it. Before the Diame goal, we were creating some chances but other than the Atsu shot just before half time which was also denied by some quality keeping, it just 'felt' like we wouldn't score.

Enter Diame's freak goal and then it only looked like there'd be one winner. Brighton had been getting a bit nervy in the lead up but we really did look like we could go on and win it. Credit to Rafa for his ballsy subs - bringing Murphy (for Colback) on seemed to change the game and then Perez for Gouf too. He really went for it.

Hopefully can get another positive result over Huddersfield on the weekend!

So close now!! Good that we seem to saving our best for the better teams. 6 points from the first 2 matches of the tough 3 game run. And sunderland still rooted to the bottom. campaigners

Was a huge win again for us. Looks like Rafa got his tactics on point too ceding possession and playing counter attacking football. Murphy (impressive again) and Gayle's goals reflect that - Awesome for Gayle to be back and won't get an easier welcome back goal than that one haha.

Got a bit lucky for Ritchie's penalty as there was an argauble handball in the leadup. Then again, we've only had 3 penalties all season where most of our rivals have had 10 or so - so we were a due a bit of luck.

5 points clear of Brighton and 11 of Huddersfield (though playing an extra game) gives us a very nice cushion but still a way to go. Hopefully can cap off these results with another win at Reading.

Just got home from a few days camping and forgot to record it.Will have to wait until tomorrow night for a look.
Things are fine and dandy in the Toon!:thumbsu::thumbsu:
I agree about Murphy,looks more potent and harder running than Mitro.

Love Mitro but Murphy definitely ahead of him in the pecking order at the moment. Admittedly was a bit surprised when we signed him given his age but Rafa clearly wanted his experience and knowledge of the division. Hasn't started or played as much as he probably wanted but can impact a game when given the chance. Mitro is also a bit of a nutcase and liability to get carded haha.

0-0 this morning to Reading. Maybe a bit disappointing given we overcame what many expected to be the tougher opponents in Brighton and Huddersfield - though you'd probably have snapped someone's hand off if they offered you 7 points from 9 for those 3 games.

We hit the woodwork twice but they (according to the highlights) looked like they created more chances.

Tough home game up next to Fulham who are still in the playoff hunt. Hopefully we can get the win as Brighton and Huddersfield both won.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a bad feeling about that Fulham game haha. Really need to find a bit more steel somehow and grind out results - undid all the hard work and coughed up our mini break. Our home form is a bit of a worry. Would hate to slump into the playoffs.

P.S I'll be away for 3 weeks dudes (going on holiday). Might not be a bad think if we begin to stagger and stumble! :D

Yeah saw it coming. Happens all the time in all sports. In the NBA home teams have a below average record in first home games after a road trip. Was thinking maybe the away teams are pumped up playing in front of 51000. The crowd at st james need to have a look at some Galatasaray games and create an intimidating atmosphere!!

P.S I'll be away for 3 weeks dudes (going on holiday). Might not be a bad think if we begin to stagger and stumble! :D

Enjoy the holiday - where you off to? Not great timing with footy season about to start!

Interested to hear from the Toon army re Dwight Gayle as he has obviously fitted in well there. Always was considered our best 'finisher' but with Pulis there early after we went up, we only played one up front with Bolasie and Zaha chipping in. Liked Dwight but couldn't play as lone striker in the EPL for us. Hope he does well in the EPL for you guys no doubt he will score against us (if we stay up, of course).

Think you owe us another 5m GDP as 10GDP has been a steal for you.

Could well be 3 games in a row without a win here

I trust us to go up in the top 2 still, but we're making it hard for ourselves... as usual

................ aaaaaaaaaaaand Huws scores in the box in red time

Thanks entirely to one of our lads completely ******* up a basic header in the back half when we were outnumbered

3-1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back