The Toon Army Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Shelvey red due to a dumb stamp. Not much in it but he knew what he was doing and ref caught him in the act.

Really cost us the game - we were looking steady up until that point.

Looks like 2-0 FT.
Surprised you say that. Sure it stifled the ability to attack but we scored twice from situations where there was 8+ players behind the ball. Would Shelvey still there have stopped that? First was Manquillo not tracking a run.

Surprised you say that. Sure it stifled the ability to attack but we scored twice from situations where there was 8+ players behind the ball. Would Shelvey still there have stopped that? First was Manquillo not tracking a run.

Not directly perhaps but when a side goes down to 10 men the whole structure needs reworking and everyone else needs to fill that extra bit of space and defend a little deeper, thus allowing Spurs even more ascendency on the ball. The goals probably would have come anyways but having 10 men made that even more likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shelvey is deadset one of the dumbest players going around. To think he even had the captain's armband & then did that. He should never be captain again.

Was kind of glad to see Dummett go off. Dummett himself isn't even at backup level though, and we had no backup. Clark did OK though I thought.

Kane should have seen red. Disappointed he didn't especially considering Lejuene had to go off. Lejeune looks class though.

Agree with you both the long balls to Gayle and Ayoze were stupid. We needed to go wide more, when Atsu had a chance to run at them he was great. Ritchie didn't do a lot, but didn't do too much wrong.

Manquillo I liked going forward but he cost us the first goal I thought. Switched off and you can't do that against players of that standard.

Overall a 2-0 loss with 10 men against the team that finished 2nd last year isn't a disaster. Next week vs Huddersfield is a great chance for us to get on the board vs a familiar opponent.

Shelvey lost me on Sunday night, the guy is a twat and nothing short of a selfish Kent. I do disagree though about eventually conceding, we where handling them fine and looked dangerous on the counter at times. The loss falls squarely on that ugly muppet, merino looks less so could hold him out anyway.

Joselu is hardly exciting, would prefer to go with mitro. I counted Joselus top leagu goals, 31 in 121 games, hardly worth leading our front line.

Are you lost? Nothing you threw at us ever looked like breaking us down. That dirty pig who thinks he's the next Shearer should have been red carded, that tackle and the Shelvey red cost us sharing the points. The win had nothing to do with your dominance.

Are you lost? Nothing you threw at us ever looked like breaking us down. That dirty pig who thinks he's the next Shearer should have been red carded, that tackle and the Shelvey red cost us sharing the points. The win had nothing to do with your dominance.
Calm down. None of what you've said it was I was saying.
Was not saying we were dominant 11v11, merely that I don't think the extra man was responsible for the goals. The two specific moments in the game there was plenty of men behind the ball so not sure how much that extra man would have done, especially the 2nd with a series of flicks.

Best of luck against Huddersfield :thumbsu:

Shelvey lost me on Sunday night, the guy is a twat and nothing short of a selfish Kent. I do disagree though about eventually conceding, we where handling them fine and looked dangerous on the counter at times. The loss falls squarely on that ugly muppet, merino looks less so could hold him out anyway.

Joselu is hardly exciting, would prefer to go with mitro. I counted Joselus top leagu goals, 31 in 121 games, hardly worth leading our front line.

We may well have still conceded but the lack of subs available meant that we had no real opportunity to change it up tactically and get one back ourselves.

Joselu I'm a bit lukewarm on but trust Rafa I guess.

Shelvey is deadset one of the dumbest players going around. To think he even had the captain's armband & then did that. He should never be captain again.

Was kind of glad to see Dummett go off. Dummett himself isn't even at backup level though, and we had no backup. Clark did OK though I thought.

Kane should have seen red. Disappointed he didn't especially considering Lejuene had to go off. Lejeune looks class though.

Agree with you both the long balls to Gayle and Ayoze were stupid. We needed to go wide more, when Atsu had a chance to run at them he was great. Ritchie didn't do a lot, but didn't do too much wrong.

Manquillo I liked going forward but he cost us the first goal I thought. Switched off and you can't do that against players of that standard.

Overall a 2-0 loss with 10 men against the team that finished 2nd last year isn't a disaster. Next week vs Huddersfield is a great chance for us to get on the board vs a familiar opponent.

Yeah big test, seems 3 of our best 11 are already unavailable one game into the season.

I would expect for Dummett and Lejeune:
Manquillo switches to LB and Mbemba goes to RB
or Manquillo stays at RB with Clark filling in at LB and Mbemba and Lascelles playing CB.
Haidara could also be an option but he seems like he's on the outer.

Merino for Shelvey seems a no brainer.

Huddersfield will be a tough game. They will be up and about after their big win on the weekend and their first PL home game.

I meant more that going down to 10 men against a side with a lot more quality severely damaged our chances of getting something from the game (the 2 first half forced subs to defenders also not helpful). Never easy playing any of the elite sides, need a lot to go your way to have a chance of getting something. Not exactly helped when your supposed captain on the day and playmaker gets himself stupidly sent off lol.

It's entirely possible a moment of Spurs brilliance could have still happened with 11 v 11. Though you could argue it also hurt our chances too. Gayle and Perez were pretty ineffective and losing a CM and having to use our final sub on another CM (instead of a different attacker like Mitro or Murphy) also meant we couldn't rejig our attack or bring on fresh legs.

Joselu looks like he might be just about over the line too - supposedly done a medical. Not exactly a proven or prolific scorer but if Rafa rates him, I'll back him. Read he plays his best with someone alongside him so maybe he is going to play in the 10 role behind the striker.

We were once told we couldn't compete with the likes of West Ham, Everton and Southampton but if anything, this window has been kind of sobering (buying the scraps off Stoke). Would be nice to just get one big signing in but I guess we have lots of needs and little cash to spend.

We may well have still conceded but the lack of subs available meant that we had no real opportunity to change it up tactically and get one back ourselves.

Joselu I'm a bit lukewarm on but trust Rafa I guess.

Have to trust Rafa, would love to see Joselu start and score on debut just to calm my nerves on the signing.

Joselu looks like he might be just about over the line too - supposedly done a medical. Not exactly a proven or prolific scorer but if Rafa rates him, I'll back him. Read he plays his best with someone alongside him so maybe he is going to play in the 10 role behind the striker.

We were once told we couldn't compete with the likes of West Ham, Everton and Southampton but if anything, this window has been kind of sobering (buying the scraps off Stoke). Would be nice to just get one big signing in but I guess we have lots of needs and little cash to spend.

Wilshere and Kenedy on loan would be beautiful, option to buy on Wilshere and the loan with Kenedy as a stop gab at LB.

With the injury to Dummy and the Joselu signing I wouldnt be surprised to see Rafa play with 3 at the back.

Elliott
Mbemba -- Lascells -- Clark
Manquillo (RWB) Aarons (LWB)
Merino---Hayden
Ritchie Atsu
Joselu

Wouldn't be opposed to Gamez playing LB either. I get the feeling Diame will be the Shelvey replacement too. Hopefully not though

I'd be highly disappointed not to have Merino start, for the first time in years I am really excited by a signing, this kid looks absolute world class and each tome he has come on and played he has looked at home. Only 21 to, could be a massive asset for the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be highly disappointed not to have Merino start, for the first time in years I am really excited by a signing, this kid looks absolute world class and each tome he has come on and played he has looked at home. Only 21 to, could be a massive asset for the club.

----------------Eliott--------------
Manquillo-Lascelles-Clark-Gamez
----------Merino----Diame--------
Ritchie-------Atsu----------Murphy/Aarons
---------------Mitro-----------------

Tough on Hayden who was solid but Merino looks to have the defensive nous to play that role with Diame going forward. Not a huge fan of him but not sure we want to play two CDMs vs an equal/lesser opponent.

----------------Eliott--------------
Manquillo-Lascelles-Clark-Gamez
----------Merino----Diame--------
Ritchie-------Atsu----------Murphy/Aarons
---------------Mitro-----------------

Tough on Hayden who was solid but Merino looks to have the defensive nous to play that role with Diame going forward. Not a huge fan of him but not sure we want to play two CDMs vs an equal/lesser opponent.

I actually think Manquillo can play on the left, not sure if Gamez has played on the left before?

I actually think Manquillo can play on the left, not sure if Gamez has played on the left before?

Played some LB at Atletico apparently, better suited to the right but if Manquillo is more comfortable on the left, happy to swap them over too. Where's Yedlin at? If he's fit, maybe he starts at RB and Manquillo LB.

Read Rafa wants 5-6 players in before the window closes. Would love that to be true but somehow I'm not confident he'd get that many over the line.

Trio of gunners - Wilshere, Gibbs and Perez plus Kenedy and Joselu - would make our squad look a lot stronger.

I think the big challenge seems to be trying to move on Krul, Haidara, Lazaar, Gamez, Riviere and seemingly Colback now too. Most of those guys would be on fairly big coin I'd imagine.

Played some LB at Atletico apparently, better suited to the right but if Manquillo is more comfortable on the left, happy to swap them over too. Where's Yedlin at? If he's fit, maybe he starts at RB and Manquillo LB.

Yedlin did a hammy IIRC and is expected back late August.

Think I saw Dummett and Lejeune will miss a few weeks.

Who do people prefer over Diame and De Jong? I think Diame can play deeper (CM) but De Jong can play more attacking (CAM or ST). Neither have really set things alight but I get the feeling they are kind of competing for the same spot.

Who do people prefer over Diame and De Jong? I think Diame can play deeper (CM) but De Jong can play more attacking (CAM or ST). Neither have really set things alight but I get the feeling they are kind of competing for the same spot.

Both could fill the #10 role that Perez played the other day. Diame as you said could also play deeper in the Shelvey CM role. De Jong is really slow though.

Both are rubbish lol

Big game tonight v Huddersfield. 3 points would be great and we won the away match last season. They are full of confidence after their first win in the PL and at home will be rocking. We are a bit stretched already injury wise.

Team:
Elliot
Manquillo--Lascelles--Mbemba--Clark
----------Hayden--Merino----------
Ritchie--------Perez---------Atsu
--------------Gayle-------------

Interesting seeing Saivet on the bench. Shows how light we are both in defence and CM (with no defenders on the bench and a surplus to requirements player coming in for Shelvey).

0-0 HT. Not many clear cut chances to be honest. Very similar to last week. Gayle looking isolated again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back