The Toon Army Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually think the best 11 is very good when it clicks and we play for each other, if we can get that happening we will be fine without stars

If we can keep Rafa and have a good run without many injuries, I think we should be able to do alright. We are in a wide group of teams that probably are just looking to stay up.

If we can keep Rafa and have a good run without many injuries, I think we should be able to do alright. We are in a wide group of teams that probably are just looking to stay up.
And thats the problem. Rafa isnt a manager whose goal is to be the 17th best team. He has higher expectations than that as do the supporters. The only one that doesn't is the owner. There's a disconnect present that will lead to rafa leaving and then we are truly ****ed

If Rafa walks out because we didn't lead the charge of transfers in a generally underwhelming window where stupid money was being poured out on s**t players, when he has to be aware Ashley (like him or not) isn't football rich, nor was the squad we had worth anything substantial then he can leave.

I don't think any of the reports are true by the way

Is our owner bournemouth rich, swansea rich or even west brom rich? He wanted a left back desperately, never came, got a stack of wages off the books, still nothing came. Disgraceful transfer period

However rich he is, he remains brains poor.
The intelligence of a cash register.
Agreed disgraceful transfer period;to add to a disgraceful ownership period.
Rafa might be good enough to keep us up.
Cashly even if we are up we'll be down.
More and more must be walking away.

I think there was a report saying the only reason Rafa hasn't left is he would be forced to pay compensation - though makes you wonder if there are broken promises again like there were with Keegan.

10 years of Ashley ownership and look at some of these stats. Pretty glaring reading.

He claims he doesn't have money but is getting free advertising for Sports Direct - not to mention all the signs and logos around the place mean we have lower match day, sponsorship and commerical revenue. Not only that but wasn't this new sponsor meant to be the most lucrative in club history? We also have record season ticket sales. The 30m profit Rafa made last season from sales. There has to be money available surely??

£8.9m Matchday income DECREASE
£2.5m Commercial income DECREASE
£0 Sports Direct sponsorship payments
£74m Gross Debt INCREASE
6 Consecutive seasons in profit
£100m Total Profit for last 6 years
£4.7m Wage increase since 2008
£4.2m Average transfer net spend (per season)
2 Top half finishes
2 Relegations
2 Court cases lost to former NUFC employees
4 Players sold for over £15m
0 Players signed for over £15m

http://www.themag.co.uk/2017/09/10-years-mike-ashley-newcastle-united-numbers/
http://www.themag.co.uk/2017/09/10-years-mike-ashley-newcastle-united-numbers/
The frustrating thing is, if Ashley cared, the club would have so much potential. He appointed Rafa - a manager the fractured fanbase could get behind. Some people may have even forgiven Ashley for his years of inept ownership. He's got a world class manager, one of the best fanbases and stadiums in the country but he's happy to just run it like a Sports Direct outlet with everything on a budget and to ultimately help his bottom line.

Plus Mbemba could be out until December now...our makeshift LB lol.

At least Yedlin and Lejeune are nearly back. Clark might be able to play LB in that case.

Think Mitro scored for Serbia as well which is good for his scoring touch.

Broken promises are his stock in trade.He said a year ago he'd put an end to the one hour contract thing he keeps his employees on and hasn't.
Undoubtedly bullshitting left right and centre about his commitment to on field performance.Will only be committed to making to books look good for prospective buyer.
Can't come soon enough for mine.
I be surprised if Rafa entered contractual arrangements with Ashley which didn't give him an out.He would be well aware what a lying dog he was dealing with.
Anyway back to the football.

Mitro hasn't started his 3 game ban yet.
Has confirmed his place in the Serbian diving team for Russian world Cup team:

Apparently that stooge Barnes is part of Cashley's inner circle and his remit is to try and minimise all the club's operating costs to try and help with a potential sale 'at some point'. Mind you, doesn't help when Cashley reportedly wants 400-450m for the club!

Geez that's a poor dive by Mitro haha.

Missing 3 games should give him plenty of time to work on the technique. :p

Yeah I read about Barnes.Just another hit-man in a lawyer's suit.
Cashley's henchmen are all cut from the same cloth.
Bobby Moncur must get a pie and a pint to say how pretty it all looks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great result for us given Swansea might be down in the lower reaches with us come the pointy end - though they had some impressive business in the transfer window. First away win in the PL since late 2015 I think I read?

Lascelles made a great clearance to keep it 0-0 and then chipped in with the header. Merino and Joselu impressing again. Clark his normal composed self. Plus Yedlin and Lejeune back into the team. Gamez apparently played well at LB - maybe finally will get going with his Toon career and Manquillo also apparently getting better with each game. Ritchie doing well too apparently - though maybe can count on being lucky to not get a red for a high challenge (similar vein to Mane's for Liverpool on Saturday night but not head high contact).

Murphy started but apparently was underwhelming. Hopefully took some lessons from the game about what is needed to make it at this level. Hayden apparently had a tough day and with Shelvey on the bench, wonder if he will be at risk of losing his spot? Personally wouldn't mind seeing all of Shelvey, Merino and Hayden playing with 1 of them (maybe Shelvey?) in the CAM role Perez is playing.

Even more impressive, no Rafa today as he was recovering from a surgery.

How are you fellas watching games??Have you taken the Optus package?I've done nothing so will only see us if we're on SBS or when we play the 4/5 clubs which Fox has done its deal with.
3 points away from home is great in what shapes to be a long season.If we're in the poo come the summer window maybe we'll see some new faces.
At least we know Benitez will get the best out of the players at hand and so we'll be as competitive as possible.
I'd be happy to sell Shelvey, I just can't be bothered with his infantile attitude,it's Joey Barton levels of unprofessionalism.When he's on the park it's one good/very good game every half dozen.Often as not, he's uninspiring with 50% of his passing off target.
I'm sure Rafa will have read him the riot act but for mine he either gets a professional mindset and pulls his finger out or he can just fuq off.I know we need a playmaker but he's got a bit to do to convince me he is capable.
It's not a season we want to play sections of games with 10 men or have blokes sidelined through lack of discipline.

How are you fellas watching games??Have you taken the Optus package?I've done nothing so will only see us if we're on SBS or when we play the 4/5 clubs which Fox has done its deal with.
3 points away from home is great in what shapes to be a long season.If we're in the poo come the summer window maybe we'll see some new faces.
At least we know Benitez will get the best out of the players at hand and so we'll be as competitive as possible.
I'd be happy to sell Shelvey, I just can't be bothered with his infantile attitude,it's Joey Barton levels of unprofessionalism.When he's on the park it's one good/very good game every half dozen.Often as not, he's uninspiring with 50% of his passing off target.
I'm sure Rafa will have read him the riot act but for mine he either gets a professional mindset and pulls his finger out or he can just fuq off.I know we need a playmaker but he's got a bit to do to convince me he is capable.
It's not a season we want to play sections of games with 10 men or have blokes sidelined through lack of discipline.

My parents have Optus internet so I am using their login lol.

Great news is that we've only conceded 3 goals in 4 games, two of which occurred when we were playing with 10 men. Clearly we are very strong defensively which is great. Need to get more of an attacking mix going but I'm glad we're solid down back.

Was happy we sat Shelvey for the entire game. I'd still play him ahead of Hayden though and play Merino as the CDM.

Yeah I suspect if Rafa had more money he would sell Shelvey and replace him. But for now, he's probably one of the least of Rafa's problems (discipline aside). Has talent if he wants to use it.

2 clean sheets in a row, top 10 and now with a positive GD. If you cast your mind back to last season, we started with 2 losses (including to Huddersfield) and then went onto win the league. ;)

Stoke next and Joselu will probably want to do well against his old side.

I shouldn't say this but I may just look for streams whenever a game is on - can be hit and miss admittedly.

Ta Newcy and Mr Lizard.
I'm quite happy with another provider so that won't be happening.

I'm not pessimistic so much as pissed.
I think Rafa is good enough to organise and instil sufficient system and spirit into the squad to survive despite Cashley's cynical disinterest.
Simply sickens me is all.:cool:
We've started pretty well and with a bit of luck some billionaire has told his bean counters he wants to buy a big black and white football club in the NE of England.:thumbsu:

Ta Newcy and Mr Lizard.
I'm quite happy with another provider so that won't be happening.

I'm not pessimistic so much as pissed.
I think Rafa is good enough to organise and instil sufficient system and spirit into the squad to survive despite Cashley's cynical disinterest.
Simply sickens me is all.:cool:
We've started pretty well and with a bit of luck some billionaire has told his bean counters he wants to buy a big black and white football club in the NE of England.:thumbsu:

A takeover would be a dream - got everything needed to become a top 6-8 side IMO. Big stadium, mad fanbase, world class manager. If Ashely ran the club as a competitive entity, and tried to maximise revenue to reinvest in the club, he would have a pretty strong asset.

Oh well, could be worse - we could be Sunderland. ex Toon man Murphy just scored the winning goal for Forest against them this morning :D

Another win! 3 in a row. Atsu and Lascelles again with the goals in a 2-1 triumph. Probably should have won by a few more but 3 points is 3 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back