Toast The top 25 Richmond recruits from rival AFL clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Kane Johnson is a bit stiff - not his fault he played in a crap Wallace team (and kicked the wrong way on one momentous occasion). He was club captain for 4 years and won a B&F (finished Top-10 every season he played with us).

Should be quite a bit higher. I think he's a top10-12 in this list. We can't penalise good players for playing in s**t teams. He's probably better than quite a few players who were lucky enough to land in a premiership era. (Johnson was good enough to play in tewo Adelaide premiership teams when he was 19 & 20).

I think all these lists have Robbie McGhie too low. It's not all about how good they were as a player, but how good they were for the team. So, to take the above list as an example, Nathan Brown was a brilliant player, who had one great half-year before he broke his leg. His recruitement led us from beaing a crap team to being a crap team that seemed to be lifting itself into contention before imploding. McGhie was a very good defender. There's no question that Brown was a far more talented player. But what did he do for us? It's not his fault that he was recruited into a flawed team with a flawed coach and a crap administration. It's not his fault that, just as he was at the top of his game, he broke his leg. But you compare that to McGhie. We were the best team during the 1972 season, but our Achilles heel was our defence, exposed on the big day. We recruited to fix that and won back to back premierships.
Agree, which is why I said it's a balance. So I went talent over what they did a bit, but not too much for example Pitura was extremely talented but didn't do much at Richmond. McGhee could have gone up a place or two, but Walsh, Sproule and Gaspar were fair players as well.

I think Kane Johnson is a bit stiff - not his fault he played in a crap Wallace team (and kicked the wrong way on one momentous occasion). He was club captain for 4 years and won a B&F (finished Top-10 every season he played with us).

Should be quite a bit higher. I think he's a top10-12 in this list. We can't penalise good players for playing in s**t teams. He's probably better than quite a few players who were lucky enough to land in a premiership era. (Johnson was good enough to play in tewo Adelaide premiership teams when he was 19 & 20).
Yes probably right, just struggled with him as a player a bit, a bit bland but as you say, a good record so you are probably correct.

Yes probably right, just struggled with him as a player a bit, a bit bland but as you say, a good record so you are probably correct.
A fine player in an excellent Crows outfit.

A good to very good player in a lamentable Richmond team.

He supported us as a kid and came to us when we were garbage and did his best. Always worthy of my respect.

Wayne Walsh is an interesting one as he actually started at Tigerland, went to South Melbourne and then came back.
Using the same criteria, you’d almost have to include Clokey, who left and came back for two good seasons and finished top eight in the Brownlow in his final year and polled nine votes in his last three games.

Also, Chris Bond would be close to getting a gig in that list. Fabulous player for us during his time and did notch up a best and fairest.

I think all these lists have Robbie McGhie too low. It's not all about how good they were as a player, but how good they were for the team. So, to take the above list as an example, Nathan Brown was a brilliant player, who had one great half-year before he broke his leg. His recruitement led us from beaing a crap team to being a crap team that seemed to be lifting itself into contention before imploding. McGhie was a very good defender. There's no question that Brown was a far more talented player. But what did he do for us? It's not his fault that he was recruited into a flawed team with a flawed coach and a crap administration. It's not his fault that, just as he was at the top of his game, he broke his leg. But you compare that to McGhie. We were the best team during the 1972 season, but our Achilles heel was our defence, exposed on the big day. We recruited to fix that and won back to back premierships.
In the 2nd last game before he broke his leg, Nathan Brown kicked 5 goals in the last quarter to beat Collingwood (we were 2 goals behind at 3/4 time). In his last game before breaking his leg, he kicked the last 2 goals of the game to beat Brisbane by 4 points. He was absolutely superman.
He'd finished 3rd in the B& F in 2004, was on track to win it in 2005 (breaks leg), and really only was fit for one other season - 2008 - when he kicked 35 goals. He only played 82 games for us (out of a possible 132), and was only close to fully fit (never got back to pre-leg fitness) for 30 of them.. Even in 82 games he was definitely one of our best recruits. Mcghie was good - but he walked into a premiership-quality team (losing the GF in 72 was the first time Carlton had beaten us in 7 games). McGhie did his job, but Brown was better, IMO (and I'm never wrong:cool::D).

In the 2nd last game before he broke his leg, Nathan Brown kicked 5 goals in the last quarter to beat Collingwood (we were 2 goals behind at 3/4 time). In his last game before breaking his leg, he kicked the last 2 goals of the game to beat Brisbane by 4 points. He was absolutely superman.
He'd finished 3rd in the B& F in 2004, was on track to win it in 2005 (breaks leg), and really only was fit for one other season - 2008 - when he kicked 35 goals. He only played 82 games for us (out of a possible 132), and was only close to fully fit (never got back to pre-leg fitness) for 30 of them.. Even in 82 games he was definitely one of our best recruits. Mcghie was good - but he walked into a premiership-quality team (losing the GF in 72 was the first time Carlton had beaten us in 7 games). McGhie did his job, but Brown was better, IMO (and I'm never wrong:cool::D).
Yes, that is all well and valid and cannot be argued against.

But one of them gave us this, which has been worthy of countless avatars and memes since.

images.jpg

That's gotta count for an extra placing or two.

Whilst I was on my one week ban I decided to peruse through the RFC website and noticed these articles. I thought it was interesting and to see if you good people could come up with your top 25 Richmond recruits from rival AFL clubs or in agreeance with the one they came up with.

My list is:

1. DION PRESTIA
2. BACHAR HOULI
3. TOM LYNCH
4. TOBY NANKERVIS
5. IAN STEWART
6. BARRY ROWLINGS
7. PAUL BRODERICK
8. LEON CAMERON
9. SHAUN GRIGGS
10.BRUCE MONTEITH
11.JOSH CADDY
12. PAUL SPROULE
13.ROBERT McGHIE
14. GRAEME LANDY
15.MICK MALTHOUSE
16.WAYNE WALSH
17.IVAN MARIC
18.CHRIS BOND
19. PETER WELSH
20.RICKT McLEAN
21.NATHAN BROWN
22.KANE JOHNSON
23.JASON TOWNSEND
24.MICHAEL GALE
25.DARREN GASPAR
Not to shabby, however Gasper has gotta be way higher. Played over 200 games were he rarely got beaten. Not to mention he was the premier key back in the early 2000’s.

Whilst I was on my one week ban I decided to peruse through the RFC website and noticed these articles. I thought it was interesting and to see if you good people could come up with your top 25 Richmond recruits from rival AFL clubs or in agreeance with the one they came up with.

My list is:

1. DION PRESTIA
2. BACHAR HOULI
3. TOM LYNCH
4. TOBY NANKERVIS
5. IAN STEWART
6. BARRY ROWLINGS
7. PAUL BRODERICK
8. LEON CAMERON
9. SHAUN GRIGGS
10.BRUCE MONTEITH
11.JOSH CADDY
12. PAUL SPROULE
13.ROBERT McGHIE
14. GRAEME LANDY
15.MICK MALTHOUSE
16.WAYNE WALSH
17.IVAN MARIC
18.CHRIS BOND
19. PETER WELSH
20.RICKT McLEAN
21.NATHAN BROWN
22.KANE JOHNSON
23.JASON TOWNSEND
24.MICHAEL GALE
25.DARREN GASPAR
Have Josh Caddy at 11, but Darren Gasper and Kane Johnson 22 & 25?

I personally would have had Caddy around the 20 mark, Gasper around the 10 mark and Johnson in the mid teens.

Not to shabby, however Gasper has gotta be way higher. Played over 200 games were he rarely got beaten. Not to mention he was the premier key back in the early 2000’s.

Probably only been Rance and Grimes better as key defenders in the past 25 years ... amazingly underrated was the Gas Man.
Rarely beaten and not surrounded by the quality cast of the two aforementioned premiership players, which probably wore him down by career's end.
Even represented Australia in that finny international series.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There must be a list somewhere of our top 25 dud recruits from other clubs, who came with some reasonable credentials...like Mrakov, Eishol, Strawbs, Graham etc...and boy we got some great players from the old Fitzroy, but boy, there were some duds too.

But on another note and even if he might not make the initial twenty five...Mick Erwin- an Ex Collingwood full forward who came to us in 1965. He was tough, experienced and smart. Not the quickest player by a long shot and not a big kick, but he could mark in a pack and he was the most accurate forward we'd had for around a decade. He helped to straighten us up after we had spent considerable time trying to find a key forward, most of whom sucked big time. He helped us find a way forward towards our success in 1967 and onwards! I'd make him Number 26 on the list.

There must be a list somewhere of our top 25 dud recruits from other clubs, who came with some reasonable credentials...like Mrakov, Eishol, Strawbs, Graham etc...and boy we got some great players from the old Fitzroy, but boy, there were some duds too.

But on another note and even if he might not make the initial twenty five...Mick Erwin- an Ex Collingwood full forward who came to us in 1965. He was tough, experienced and smart. Not the quickest player by a long shot and not a big kick, but he could mark in a pack and he was the most accurate forward we'd had for around a decade. He helped to straighten us up after we had spent considerable time trying to find a key forward, most of whom sucked big time. He helped us find a way forward towards our success in 1967 and onwards! I'd make him Number 26 on the list.
Mick Erwin took one of my all-time favourite marks (no, I wasn't there to watch it). And as a bonus, here's an enjoyable 12-minute bonus video for the off-season (synched up to Erwin's mark).

Never was a fan of Gaspar, but he did play in an era where we don't want to remember. It's all subject to personal opinion, but i do respect your view.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back