Roo_Boy

Debutant
Mar 18, 2001
Other Teams
Kangaroos
1. Matthew Richardson - Overpaid, over-rated
2. Ronnie Burns - too hot and cold
3. Jeff Farmer - Can ruin your clubs reputation single handledly
4. David Bourke - Yeah we do have him but we dont want him Pagan!
eq 5. Shane Clayton - See #4
eq 5. Stuart Cochrane - See #4

Matthew Richardson over-paid and over-rated?

Does the name Leigh Colbert mean anything to you?

Cochrane and Clayton have contirbuted 3 times more in the same period than what Colbert has. DUD.

The fact our backline is in the perilous state it is falls squarely on the shoulders of Colbert, and to a larger extent the dills who went after him so hard and blindly and traded the young gold that was Cameron Mooney.
At 192cm etc etc, Colbert should be the answer to our lack of key defensive depth. Instead, he can be held largely responsible (woudl Cameron Mooney not have been an excellent key backman had he not been so wrongly discarded, not to mention the THREE very good draft picks and a young, classy premiership half forward!?!).
Colbert cannot be relied upon for anything more than to perhaps play on the opposition's 4th or 5th forward. And thats at best.
The guy is slow, weak one on one, pathetic below his knees and is, hands down, the slowest player to get the ball on boot in a pressure situation i have ever seen. Sure he is a top bloke, has that winning smile and a scorcher of a missus, but that doesn't make a champion or, ahem, future captain (i wonder what David King, Adam Simpson or Shannon Grant think about that by the way).
If you're gonna slag Clayton or Cochrane, at least be fair about it. They aren't on half the money Leigh "Dollars" Colbert is.
Wonder if Richmond wanna swap Richo for him?!

That is crap Carlos.

Last year Colbert destroyed Kouta, and covered Carey's arse twice by going onto, and beating Tredrea and Schwartz, who had given Wayne a hiding.

I have given up counting how many times I have said on this board, that Colbert would be star for North, if we had the backline to enable him to play in the midfield for a whole game.

The instruction would be "run where you fuken like". I would personally guarantee that he would be tagged.

As it stands, he is plugging gaps down back.

PS Cameron Mooney has shown to be no loss.

Originally posted by Carlos
Matthew Richardson over-paid and over-rated?

Does the name Leigh Colbert mean anything to you?

Cochrane and Clayton have contirbuted 3 times more in the same period than what Colbert has. DUD.

The fact our backline is in the perilous state it is falls squarely on the shoulders of Colbert, and to a larger extent the dills who went after him so hard and blindly and traded the young gold that was Cameron Mooney.
At 192cm etc etc, Colbert should be the answer to our lack of key defensive depth. Instead, he can be held largely responsible (woudl Cameron Mooney not have been an excellent key backman had he not been so wrongly discarded, not to mention the THREE very good draft picks and a young, classy premiership half forward!?!).
Colbert cannot be relied upon for anything more than to perhaps play on the opposition's 4th or 5th forward. And thats at best.
The guy is slow, weak one on one, pathetic below his knees and is, hands down, the slowest player to get the ball on boot in a pressure situation i have ever seen. Sure he is a top bloke, has that winning smile and a scorcher of a missus, but that doesn't make a champion or, ahem, future captain (i wonder what David King, Adam Simpson or Shannon Grant think about that by the way).
If you're gonna slag Clayton or Cochrane, at least be fair about it. They aren't on half the money Leigh "Dollars" Colbert is.
Wonder if Richmond wanna swap Richo for him?!

Rubbish

Do you know exactly how much money Leigh is on?? No!! And he handed money back to the club in 2000! If your memory goes back that far.

Then to compare him to Clayton and Cochrane is ridiculous, I wonder how they would be going with the injuries Leigh has had. I honestly believe some of you people don't watch the games!! He did finish in the top ten in our best and fairest

4th or 5th forward??? What you mean like when he destroyed Kouta that night?? Or the day he turned it around at Shell Stadium last year?? He rarely loses a one on one battle and he may look slow but he isn't and all of his kicks go to one of our men.

As far as being the future captain, I didn't think you had to be the best player to be captain, do you know what Colbert is like out on the field or on the training track?? He could be the best leader out there, inspiring the rest of the team

As far as the Cameron Mooney comment goes, he plays in the forward line for Geelong at the moment, so no he would not have been a handy back man, Colbert is far better than him

I guess it is easy to bag a guy when he is down on his luck

Originally posted by McCartney5

Rubbish

Do you know exactly how much money Leigh is on?? No!! And he handed money back to the club in 2000! If your memory goes back that far.

Then to compare him to Clayton and Cochrane is ridiculous, I wonder how they would be going with the injuries Leigh has had. I honestly believe some of you people don't watch the games!! He did finish in the top ten in our best and fairest

4th or 5th forward??? What you mean like when he destroyed Kouta that night?? Or the day he turned it around at Shell Stadium last year?? He rarely loses a one on one battle and he may look slow but he isn't and all of his kicks go to one of our men.

As far as being the future captain, I didn't think you had to be the best player to be captain, do you know what Colbert is like out on the field or on the training track?? He could be the best leader out there, inspiring the rest of the team

As far as the Cameron Mooney comment goes, he plays in the forward line for Geelong at the moment, so no he would not have been a handy back man, Colbert is far better than him

I guess it is easy to bag a guy when he is down on his luck

Stick that in ya pipe Carlos!
Nice work Macca by the way.:cool:

While I think Carlos has gone quite a deal overboard, I agree with the fact we shouldn't have traded for Colby, and I thought it at the time. I actually like him and think he'd be of great value had he not been so harshly done by with injuries, but we should have been worrying about invigorating our list with youngsters from that draft on. We may not have lost Peter Bell had we not had another big-money player on the list, and Cam Mooney would be a handy player to have coming through with the young players we have now. We were always going to lose Scotty Welsh and an early selection was like gold for us during those great years. To trade that off was silly. I think we'll be paying for that lack of foresight in the future.

The notion of a lumbering, slow-as-a-wet-week-Leigh Colbert pussy footing around our midfield is alot closer to the concept of "crap" Roo Bhoy.

And Colbert killed Kouta did he? From memory Kouta was half fit and limited to a forward role, and Colbert got bugger all of the pill himself. Hardly the contribution that his dumbfounding Jesus Christ like status that he holds at our club warrants.

His only other meaningful contribution since he joined the club was under 2 foot of water and mud at his old home ground. And the only reason was the "Steve Bardbury principle" (in other words, thank Christ the rest are crap too). Every other player on the ground was brought down to his pace and skills were reduced to getting it and bombing it.

At 192cm, and the reputation (very puzzling if you ever saw him play for Geelong by the way) he brought to North, he should be able to play like a gun wherever Pagan bloody tells him to!

Weren't we meant to be getting god's gift to football?! The mouth watering, genuine utility who takes the opposition's best forward when required and makes a goose of them, totally nullifying them while running off them all day and creating play up the field? Or the nightmare match up in the middle who is strong below his knees, impossible to knock off the ball and hell to lay a tackle on and skillful and football smart? Or the dynamic forward who is too
quick for the big defenders but too strong for the small defenders and marks everything and can, at will, regularly bomb the ball from 50 or pin point the intelligent pass to anyone within the arc or lay off the selfless and smart handpass to one of our running players, bringing others into the game and being the logical candidate for future captain by virtue of his on-field exploits and leadership, and off-field charisma and personability?

No instead we got Leigh Colbert. The guy who can't run, cant tackle, cant can't kick longer than 20 metres, and can't regularly hit a target when he does, misses goals from 10 metres out, directly in front with no pressure whatsoever, when the team is screaming for a goal, gets caught with the ball more than most on our list and rarely wins one on one contests. Yes, i agree, he has courage and goes in hard for the ball. But this isn't much good when you cant get the ball now is it?

The bloke is an over-paid dud.

And Mooney would have been a more than servicable (and a lot more valuable than Leigh Bloody Colbert) player had he remained. You can tell he doesn;t belong at Geelong. The kid has talent and under a disciplinarian coach like Pagan, would have been more level headed and i beleive a leader of our backline for years to come.

Carlos your standards are obviously too high

Do you really think Leigh doesn't even deserve his place in the team?? He is far better that Cameron Mooney, Mooney is under Bomber Thompson who is a fine coach, Mooney just doesn't have the talent

As for the night he played on Kouta, last time I checked as a defender it doesn't matter if you don't touch the ball, as long as you beat your man, which he did, and Kouta was amazing last year if he was half fit and still won their best and fairest

What do you want Leigh to be a defender or a midfielder, I don't think you even know, you are continually write how tall he is but then complain about his pace, once again, Leigh is not slow, it's just the way he runs, look at how Kingy runs, looks like he could do the 100 metres in under 9 seconds, it is just because he takes small steps

I never expected Leigh to be our best player, perhaps you read into what the media says, you know everything you hear on television isn't the truth Carlos. I expected Colby to be in our best 10 players for about 5 years to come and I would have to say that until he got injured last year he was.

To have a go at Leigh's kicking for goal is ridiculous, I mean you now want him as defender, midfielder and forward, well if he was as good as you wanted him to be we wouldn't need the other 21 players would we?? He could do it all

Seeing you think he is a "Dud" I challenge you to name 22 players that are better than Colby and deserve a game before him

I really hope he is in our best 5 players just to stick it up Geelong supporters and more importantly North fans who are as impatient and demanding as yourself

Mooney is struggling to crack a game at Geelong. Colbert made his name (and the Vic side) as a midfielder.

I am starting to get the feeling you are an angry Geelong supporter masquerading as someone who know a bit about footy.

Does Kouta have a set position for Carlton? Ditto Hird for Essendon? Gherig for St Kilda? No. They are utlities and hence, are very valuable. This means they can play back and be effective. Go into the middle and contribute. Go forward and influence a game. The reason i mention Colbert's height is because tall utilities, particularly those who can play a meaningful role in the midfield are as rare as rocking horse ****! I would be thrilled if he could justify his spot in ANY position right now, let alone be what a player of his inflated reputation should be: A UTILITY.

When Colbert came to the club, i, along with most other supporters, was under the impression we were supposessed to be getting a player of like value. So far we are lucky to have secured a 3rd or 4th string backman. For $300+ K a year and the 3 picks and two players we gave up for him, i think we have been dudded.

And Colbert isn't slow? Its just the way he runs? Heh heh. Thats quite humerous. Name one player on our list he could out run? Porter and Pertie included? He gets lead to the ball everytime and gets ran off regularly. He is a liability.

As far as him being in our best 22, thats debatable. I stand by my assertion that Clayton and Cochrane have been of better value during his time at our club. Clayton gets more of it and uses it better, not to mention his positive contribution on the score board. And at close to minumum wage compared to Colbert's inflated salary, it sickens me to see how most supporters continually hook into him yet get up on the soap box to defend golden boy Colbert.

Colbert is a liability in defense. He doesn't belong in our midfield as he doesnt get enough of the ball and is far too slwo to dispose of it. And am i wrong in saying he lets us down with poor conversion in front of goal? To be honest, i don't thin he is in our best 22 at the moment.

I would be the first to admit to being wrong and would love to see him acheive whatever it is you people belive him capable of. And you accuse me of having a short memory? Think back to the second half of the 99 season and try, if you are capable of removing your Leigh Colbert coloured goggles, recalling the jobs Cameron Mooney did for us, in particular the game against Melbourne. The kid had talent and had a spot in our defense if he was reatined, instead of discarded as part of a mind boggling unbalanced package for this over-rated dud.

You want to talk about the jobs Mooney did for us in 99??? When?? He was a young player getting a few games for experiance, he only got a Grand Final apperance because of pure luck.

I'd love to see Colby play in the midfield and forward line to proove you wrong but we need him in defence. Remember his first game when he kicked 5 for us against Geelong?? He would be good in the foward line, and has down pretty well the few times he has played for us in that posistion.

As for saying I need to take my goggles off, I think you do, you obviously hate the bloke and won't change your mind on the matter.

And I'd rather defend one of our players than completely slag him off the way you are. We need supporters but not ones like you

You have not convinced me you barrack for North.

I will asume you do, and therefore label your comments re Clayton and Cochrane a discgrace. I am not going to go over the comparison. It's mind boggling. Read every word of your post carefully, then think, then re-read. If you still of the same opinion regarding C+C aka Zig+Zag, I will not respond further.

Carlos, I am not the biggest fan of Colbert myself- but I wouldnt call him a dud.

I would be happy for him to be delisted- but thats only because of his injuries...... he isnt a dud just has alot of troubles with injuries- if he could get over his injuries- he would be great for us.

Go Roos

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was born the day after we won the 75 flag and have been a member ever since.

And Colbert didn't kick 5 goals in his first game. It was 2.

And Roo Bhoy or whatever you call yourself, are you trying to tell me that Colbert has contributed more in the 2 years ON the field than what Clayton has? I'll define contribution: Impact on a game.

I know he unfashionable, but i stand by the fact that Clayton has had contributed more to North wins than Colbert. Clayton kicks goals, reads the play, finds space, links intelligently and gathers possessions. Colbert has done little else than dish off backwards handballs (maybe 3 or 4 game when he is really hot).

Originally posted by Carlos
Was born the day after we won the 75 flag and have been a member ever since.

Does that give you the right to bag one of our players for no apparant reason, except for the fact you expected to be the greatest player of all time

Colbert has done little else than dish off backwards handballs (maybe 3 or 4 game when he is really hot).

This prooves you clearly may have been a member for over 25 years but you don't watch the games too closely

Clayton contributes damn all. Ever wondered why he is always on his own, on the wing? I know for a fact that opposition coaches don't care how often he gets it. He has the worst disposal in the comp and applies no physical pressure at all, I would venture enough to say that he is soft.

I will define contribution as impact on a game also. I will define a top ten best and fairest place in a year riddled by injury as an impact. The match committee know who has been given what job in a game, and they are employed because they know a damn sight more than the likes of you and Tashi.

geeze some real intellectuals running around here..

how many genuine positives about leigh are real?

you say he kicked 5 on debut? he's never kicked more than 2 for us - and that was in his first game.

he was top 10 B&F? great. would you say he was better than jason mccartney or wayne carey (who scored 35 goals standing on his INJURED-(there's that word) legs) for the season? thought not.

if a top player can earn such status just being a stopper like colbert did for nullifying an injured kouta without creating anything then sheesh, jayson daniels should've got a brownlow for some of the stopping jobs he did for the saints. i thought the top players had more strings to their bows?

now..... what do you reckon leigh is worth on the open market? a top 5 pick?!! gimme some of what you're injecting because it must be good stuff! my god, spriggs alone would be worth more on the open market. scary considering he is ONE FIFTH of the trade.

and watch the carlton, sydney or melbourne games from 1999 to see the potential of cam mooney at 19 yo. he was already a competent backman who takes contested marks and play ruck or pinchhit forward. like carlos said, he's stagnated since. but the talent is there and if he had been allowed to develop at the club that he didn't want to leave after a premiership (btw, great message to send to the troops after you all work together to achieve something) i have no doubt he'd be a quality player now. for those who say he was crap - why was he playing on the last day and not hewitt, watt or kingsley? do you consider them absolute duds?

and gee it was great being bent over and made to take pig calthorpe as part of the colbert trade. nice strategic move that one. wonderful. managed to soak up some salary cap dollars and a spot on the list for 2 contracted years. great.

carlos and tashibatts, you've learnt the hard way not to question a player against the grain. sure, bag clayton and cochrane regardless of their contribution because all the sheep say they suck but shame on you for questioning their favourite son. gimme a break.

for a topline player who IS on big money and cost a lot footywise, you'd expect some pack marks maybe? some long kicking? some accurate kicking? lots of centre clearances perhaps? an intelligent linkman who finds space and sets up the play? the ability to beat the top forward every week or maybe provide a decent marking target (look at how mccartney is showing how it's done) or a reliable avenue to goal? "dollars" doesn't do any of this.

how many years do we jerk off about his injuries before someone admits "yeh it's a failure"?

and yes, like other critics i'd love him to perform - even at a modest level now - and make me suck my own d ick. but i have a feeling i won't be having to.

Originally posted by Hugo
geeze some real intellectuals running around here..

how many genuine positives about leigh are real?

you say he kicked 5 on debut? he's never kicked more than 2 for us - and that was in his first game.

Hey Carlos, it's pretty pis weak to re-register as Hugo and use your 1st post to stick the knives into Macca & co.

The problem of course is that Colbert just has not been able to stand up for a full season in how long.......?

You cannot discount the guys courage when going for the ball, and perhaps that is his achilles heel (the body gets hit too many times).

He's definately not a dud, his past history has shown that, but given his history of injury was he an appropriate buy? probably not.

I would think that if he can't put in a good season this year then he and the club will have to deal with the inevitable......less money or bye bye.

I'd love to see him have a big one this year, he deserves it because by all accounts he is a very popular person amongst the guys in the team.

I never thought I would see a debate comparing the relative merits of Colbert to Clayton/Cochrane. Clearly logic is not playing much of a role here. Surely this thread started with a typo....you meant to say Calthorpe Vs Clayton/Cochrane didn't you ?:eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back