Remove this Banner Ad

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It looks like it's back

Throughout the JLT we saw some of our players, especially when kicking inside 50, kick a big old torp to try and get the ball in long and fast. Against Geelong on the weekend we saw more of the same and Bernie even launched one from an early kick out that he didn't hit properly - so has Goodwin given the torp the tactical OK?

Especially with McDonald missing up forward and his ability to compete in the air in 1v2 or 1v3 situations on the wing or inside 50, will we see more of the torp as a tactical move to make the ball harder to read in the air which eventually leads to more ground balls that our smaller brigade of forwards can use to their advantage? I hate the term "chaos-ball" - but it certainly looks like the torp might be it

Watching other games on the weekend I also saw other teams uncorking the genie (a la Dennis Commetti AFL 2004) especially when trying to kick over the zone, is it here to stay? And should we give someone like Jayden Hunt the license to run 15-20 metres then try and kick a torp over the zone? The downsides are obvious but when it is hit just right and it spirals and spirals and spirals... my god it's glorious.

Finally, is it something worth working on at training as some bizarre point of difference? Or should we just learn to lower our bloody eyes going inside 50 (!?) - perhaps it's a sign our head coach is a little unhinged, who knows?

Yeah , nah . Half our team struggle to hit a target under pressure as it is . Maybe 1 or 2 players under certain situations , but it is a difficult skill to master and be consistent with . Hit it wrong it can go sideways .

I would like to see a match where the two rucks just have a hit out and take turns to see how many successful torps they can get through the goals. For four quarters. The other players are just there to stand about and watch, and to make salary cap discussions a bit interesting.

Was mentioned on Footy Classified last night and Juddy seemed to think it is used when heading inside 50 from a mark in an attempt to hinder the defenders ability to setup and chop it off as it could go 30m or 60m. And is useful when the area is too clogged up and nobody can breakaway on a clear lead. Numbers around the ball and back yourself to win it on the ground instead of just kicking a 50m drop punt which is more easily read. Makes sense if only occasional. Although I'd much prefer our forwards were able to set up so as to allow space for someone to lead into rather than kicking in hope too often.

Was mentioned on Footy Classified last night and Juddy seemed to think it is used when heading inside 50 from a mark in an attempt to hinder the defenders ability to setup and chop it off as it could go 30m or 60m. And is useful when the area is too clogged up and nobody can breakaway on a clear lead. Numbers around the ball and back yourself to win it on the ground instead of just kicking a 50m drop punt which is more easily read. Makes sense if only occasional. Although I'd much prefer our forwards were able to set up so as to allow space for someone to lead into rather than kicking in hope too often.

Interesting, it definitely looked like more teams were using it as a legitimate tactic in play, rather than a last minute desperation move from a setup like a kick out where it has previously only been used

Let this thread be a shrine to the humble torp and to Jayden Hunt - who may have successfully brought it back into the modern game with his goal after the 3 quarter siren against Adelaide

Long live the torp

Remove this Banner Ad

Back