The Travel Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of the track was like this and worse, almost impossible to go around in most places.
PXL_20230330_024829598.jpg
Magnificent.
PXL_20230329_225242109.jpg
It was tough dragging the tinny up the beach 3 times.
PXL_20230329_055955769.MP.jpg
Fair bit of beach walking, we saw people at very start and end of trek, rest of it saw 1 other couple, it felt like we were alone in the Universe.
PXL_20230329_050559631.jpg
Time to set up camp.
PXL_20230328_204846319.jpg

Inspiring stuff Malice! Wonderful pictures.

I am a travel nuffy, been through our captial cities, nz x3 and Bali (albeit for 4 days and i had no idea where i was). We are taking the famiily to Japan for 2 weeks at the end of November into December. Kids will be 18, 16 and 13. Would appreciate any suggestions and advice. This will be "my first big trip" and hopefully the beginning of many if i can handle the filight! Thanks in advance help.

I am a travel nuffy, been through our captial cities, nz x3 and Bali (albeit for 4 days and i had no idea where i was). We are taking the famiily to Japan for 2 weeks at the end of November into December. Kids will be 18, 16 and 13. Would appreciate any suggestions and advice. This will be "my first big trip" and hopefully the beginning of many if i can handle the filight! Thanks in advance help.
Japan is really as low stress as you make it. Almost all signage includes English. Great public transport. Plenty of English speakers, especially in the popular areas, but don't assume people do speak it and be flexible. Have you decided where you're going in Japan? I assume Tokyo, but anywhere else? I'd recommend getting a prepaid SIM card once you're in Japan, it can be handy to have Google Maps access if you get a little lost for example.

Listen to/seek dlanod s and other seasoned travellers advice acuguy, I have only travelled as far as most of Australia, New Zealand, PNG and the Pacific Islands.

Japan is really as low stress as you make it. Almost all signage includes English. Great public transport. Plenty of English speakers, especially in the popular areas, but don't assume people do speak it and be flexible. Have you decided where you're going in Japan? I assume Tokyo, but anywhere else? I'd recommend getting a prepaid SIM card once you're in Japan, it can be handy to have Google Maps access if you get a little lost for example.
Was thinking Tokyo and Osaka for 5 days. Would like something a little more rural for the other 4 days. Any suggestions?

Was thinking Tokyo and Osaka for 5 days. Would like something a little more rural for the other 4 days. Any suggestions?
Kyoto is absolutely worth checking out, we actually used it as our base and travelled into Osaka. Osaka felt more like a normal big town with a few cool things to check out, but it's a great place just to experience Japan. Kyoto is more historic, all the old shrines and gardens, etc. We didn't go too rural ourselves so beyond that I'm not going to claim much expertise, but the trains will take you just about everywhere and getting a timed pass (e.g. a weekly if you stay in Tokyo or Osaka for a few days at the beginning and/or end) is a cost-effective way to see more, as it lets you do easy day trips 100s of km down the line.

Couple of questions for those that have travelled internationally in recent years. Its my first trip overseas since well before Covid.

I am going to Israel tomorrow and curious if the Foxtel Go App works when overseas so I can watch the Lions on Sunday. Does AFL.com.au have anything or do you need subscribe? I am only away for the Crows game so I guess I can watch on my return.

For those interested, it is my first trip to Tel Aviv and will be seeing JErusalem - Im not religious in anyway so will be interesting

My industry is in the health / medtech space and there are some massive highlights on my itinerary

Seeing the latest in MedTech at the ARC Digital Innovation Centre
An exclusive reception at the official home of the President of Israel
A tasting tour of historic Levinsky Street in Tel Aviv
Attending a series of TED Talks session
Experience up close the latest excavations in Jerusalem’s City of David
Meeting the historic Abraham Accords
Interact with members of the Israeli space program and learn about the medical experiments recently launched into space

There's a lot more that was too specific to also post and given I know next to nothing about places in Israel, I am across their health/medicine eco-system very well and they are truly world leaders in so many fields.

Should be amazing. Does anyone else have any recommendations in Israel. Also going to a place called Eilat, which I am told is like the Byron Bay of Israel; very hippy, hot, weed is fairly common and is on the Dead Sea.

Couple of questions for those that have travelled internationally in recent years. Its my first trip overseas since well before Covid.

I am going to Israel tomorrow and curious if the Foxtel Go App works when overseas so I can watch the Lions on Sunday. Does AFL.com.au have anything or do you need subscribe? I am only away for the Crows game so I guess I can watch on my return.

For those interested, it is my first trip to Tel Aviv and will be seeing JErusalem - Im not religious in anyway so will be interesting

My industry is in the health / medtech space and there are some massive highlights on my itinerary

Seeing the latest in MedTech at the ARC Digital Innovation Centre
An exclusive reception at the official home of the President of Israel
A tasting tour of historic Levinsky Street in Tel Aviv
Attending a series of TED Talks session
Experience up close the latest excavations in Jerusalem’s City of David
Meeting the historic Abraham Accords
Interact with members of the Israeli space program and learn about the medical experiments recently launched into space

There's a lot more that was too specific to also post and given I know next to nothing about places in Israel, I am across their health/medicine eco-system very well and they are truly world leaders in so many fields.

Should be amazing. Does anyone else have any recommendations in Israel. Also going to a place called Eilat, which I am told is like the Byron Bay of Israel; very hippy, hot, weed is fairly common and is on the Dead Sea.
I suspect Foxtel Go isn't going to work overseas, you'd need WatchAFL for that. You can probably watch the AFL.com.au replay some time (12h? 24h? not sure how long it usually takes) after the game. Would recommend the ABC Listen app if you want to listen to the game, in my experience it's way more stable than trying to listen to a radio broadcast than any of the options in the AFL app.

Seriously considering the Larapinta Trail for our next trek, not till next year some time though.

Counts-Point.jpg

• Distance: 230km
  • Time to complete: 12-16 days on average
  • Sections: 12
  • Direction: Traditionally west, from Alice Springs to Mt Sonder, but can be done in either direction
  • Walking options: Independent end to end, multi-day sections, commercial tours, guided treks and day hikes
  • Campgrounds: Official trailhead campgrounds and wild camping options
  • Fees: $25 per night walking fee or maximum $125 for 5+ nights plus camping fees of $6 per night
  • Respect: The trail is on the traditional land of the Arrernte people of Tjoritja/West MacDonnell Ranges.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously considering the Larapinta Trail for our next trek, not till next year some time though.

Counts-Point.jpg

• Distance: 230km
  • Time to complete: 12-16 days on average
  • Sections: 12
  • Direction: Traditionally west, from Alice Springs to Mt Sonder, but can be done in either direction
  • Walking options: Independent end to end, multi-day sections, commercial tours, guided treks and day hikes
  • Campgrounds: Official trailhead campgrounds and wild camping options
  • Fees: $25 per night walking fee or maximum $125 for 5+ nights plus camping fees of $6 per night
  • Respect: The trail is on the traditional land of the Arrernte people of Tjoritja/West MacDonnell Ranges.
I've got quite a few friends and family who have done it and my wife has run bits and they all say it's probably a top two Australian hike, comparable only really to the Overland in Tassie.

Every time I go off grid we lose... obviously I am the jinx :disappointed:🚶‍♂️

Same here....arrived home this arvo from the sunny GC. That losing scenario has happened before when I've been offline. I wasn't surprised we lost.......but seriously, 17 bloody points?!! so frustrating.

Actually, during the game I tried to find BigFooty on my phone, which I did, then found our game day thread "liked" one post and was going to reply....but alas I'm an oldie and that was as far as I could get. Couldn't get past page 4 nor find place to respond. I gave up before I did something drastic like deleting everything on the phone.

Where was my grandaughter when I needed her!:grinv1:

Getting sent to Philadelphia for work next week, just checked weather.

Flying out of Sydney where it'll be about 26 degrees.

Land in Philadelphia where it'll be -6 or -7 degrees.

Oof.

Wait. -6 or -7. Celsius or Fahrenheit 🤯?
Celsius. Thank god not F - too close to the ocean there I think (ha, just looked it up. Literally the coldest temp ever in Philadelphia is -7 F.)

Actually there's a Philly cheese steak place near me in Boundary Street, West End... Never looks busy but it's always been open ever since I moved here. Walked past it often, never been in. Should I?
There's one in a small town in the Blue Mountains which I really really struggle to understand. Was there that much pent up demand amongst the 20,000 people or so up there that they're willing to go out of their way to get it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back