The Travel Thread 🚗 🚢 ✈

Remove this Banner Ad

Caribbean - if you are looking for that more secluded island feel I would look at Turks & Caicos, Anguilla, Curacao. Dominica.

If you want a more tourist type thing, the Bahamas, Jamaica, Barbados etc.

Was lucky enough to have a working trip there during the cricket World Cup.

If you want something that is completely different yet fantastic, look at Cuba. You won't get the luxury resort but the place is just a fascinating place to see.

What about the Greek Islands?

What about the Greek Islands?

Haven't been to the Greek Islands, but from alll reports that are magnificent.
I'm hoping to maybe get there in May next year.
I'm lucky enough to do a fair bit of travelling with work so I plan my holidays to coincide with my trips.
Have the States again this year and Amsterdam next year, will work a European holiday around the Amsterdam trip next May.

We want both and might do both. NYC to Maldives and Bora Bora is not easy to get to so might be easier to stick to Europe and NYC.

Anybody been to any of these places other than NYC?

Yes Greece, NYC, Tahiti, mind you some time ago.

You could do NYC and Greek Islands, fair bit of air travel depends on how long you have I'm more quality rather than quantaty.

If you had anything les thank say 3 or 4 weeks I wouldn't do both.

Mykonos, Santorini are the obvious, I visited Corfu many years ago which is on the Italian side, some Greek officionados can help here ie Aph

As for NYC you could spend some time there and from there go to Niagara or Boston, trip around a bit
Do some concerts, broadway, hire a car get into the countryside

Hmm I love travel

Boston is amazing :hearts:
My brother and his wife had their honeymoon travelling through New England and New York, their photos are beautiful and they had a great time. You'd need at least 4 weeks though.

Without trying to sound like a flog I have done some study at Harvard and Boston is a great place.
Would recommend.
4 hour train trip to NYC.

Just to balance things up, have also worked out of Akron in Ohio, not so great.....

Without trying to sound like a flog I have done some study at Harvard and Boston is a great place.
Would recommend.
4 hour train trip to NYC.

Just to balance things up, have also worked out of Akron in Ohio, not so great.....
Yeah my friends and I took the train from NYC to Boston and it is so beautiful. Great food, great music, loved Fenway Park, and the architecture and parks are just stunning. I did the Harvard tour...muchos jealous you actually studied there!

Yeah my friends and I took the train from NYC to Boston and it is so beautiful. Great food, great music, loved Fenway Park, and the architecture and parks are just stunning. I did the Harvard tour...muchos jealous you actually studied there!

MEB, I think it's one of the Cities in the US that very much feels like home. Has a lovely charm about the place, can do anything there. I rate Boston and San Francisco as two of my favourite Cities in the States.

I have been very lucky in my career to have been able to have the opportunities I have had.

I have come from a trade background out of the Northern suburbs of Melbourne, I went to a Tech school that only went to form 5 (Year 11 for the younger ones !!)

I have had a remarkably varied career throughout my thirty plus years in the workforce.

If you asked me twenty years ago that I would have had the opportunity to study at Harvard I would have laughed in your face.

It's a wonderful world and a fantastic country that we have the pleasure of living in. Oportunities abound for those that are willing to seek them out, and they are there even when you don't.

Oh you missed the news :oops:
Carlton will have an extra member in October :)

So how's your trip planning going lol

Oh I sure did, very lovely news congrats to you both !

Yes the trip planning is going ok

Depart 14/10/17
5 nights Tokyo - day trip Fuji , Nikko etc
Train to Nagano
3 nights Nagano - day trip to onsen & some hiking, visit kamakochi
Train to Matsumoto
2 nights Matsumoto - day tour, bike or hike & a sake brewery visit
Train to Magome
1 or 2 nights Magome - will do the walk to Tsugamo / Nakasendo Trail
Train to Kyoto
5 night Kyoto - day trips to Nara & Himeji
2 spare nights...Hiroshima, Miyajima ?
2 nights Tokyo
overnight flight home
Draft at the moment, may jiggle a few things

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MEB, I think it's one of the Cities in the US that very much feels like home. Has a lovely charm about the place, can do anything there. I rate Boston and San Francisco as two of my favourite Cities in the States.

I have been very lucky in my career to have been able to have the opportunities I have had.

I have come from a trade background out of the Northern suburbs of Melbourne, I went to a Tech school that only went to form 5 (Year 11 for the younger ones !!)

I have had a remarkably varied career throughout my thirty plus years in the workforce.

If you asked me twenty years ago that I would have had the opportunity to study at Harvard I would have laughed in your face.

It's a wonderful world and a fantastic country that we have the pleasure of living in. Oportunities abound for those that are willing to seek them out, and they are there even when you don't.

Great ! You create your own opportunities tho, so good for you
I think you helped me with San Fran last year

Depart 14/10/17
Train to Nagano
Train to Matsumoto
Train to Magome
Train to Kyoto
2 nights Tokyo
overnight flight home
My stepmum is Japanese and lives in Tokyo, there's a particular onsen she recommends, Turtle Annex. It's in Nikko--which she says is an absolute must do.

My stepmum is Japanese and lives in Tokyo, there's a particular onsen she recommends, Turtle Annex. It's in Nikko--which she says is an absolute must do.

Thanks MEB any other tips are appreciated

We are staying in the Ueno area in Tokyo, our only concern is October in the Alps, is it a good time to go?
Unable to pick the weather obviously have done a bit of research and any feedback on the Alps or Nagano would be wonderful

Depart 14/10/17
Train to Nagano
Train to Matsumoto
Train to Magome
Train to Kyoto
2 nights Tokyo
overnight flight home
Went to Japan recently - only thing I can say is it was amazing. Definitely need a couple nights on miyajima. Really nice spot - lets you do the Hiroshima stuff too. If you can I seriously recomend Takayama, beautiful old town.

Went to Japan recently - only thing I can say is it was amazing. Definitely need a couple nights on miyajima. Really nice spot - lets you do the Hiroshima stuff too. If you can I seriously recomend Takayama, beautiful old town.

Thanks, we are doing a day trip to Takayama from Matsumoto hopefully have read good things about it
Looking forward to it Skyhorqse thanks

Thanks, we are doing a day trip to Takayama from Matsumoto hopefully have read good things about it
Looking forward to it Skyhorqse thanks
Best burger I've ever had was in Takayama... well, best two burgers. We saw a sign that led us through someones house into a whiskey bar with the absolute best burgers and a great relaxed vibe. Quality of food is incredible. The joint was in the old town (obvious when you get there) of Takayama

View attachment 371707

Was in Shanghai last weekend and went along to the Port vs GC game. A bit surreal to hear ocker laden footy catchcries in such unfamiliar surrounds. Poor spectacle in terms football quality but a really enjoyable experience overall, particularly being the first game I've been to this season.

Shanghai is an experience in itself.
Got assaulted there by a shoe shiner, after trying to be nice to her.
She belted me whilst I was trying to get into a cab........How cute :)

Shanghai is an experience in itself.
Got assaulted there by a shoe shiner, after trying to be nice to her.
She belted me whilst I was trying to get into a cab........How cute :)

Haha. It's a great city. Called it home for several years and tend to go back most years for a visit. In fact, now I think about it, that's where I was living when I joined BigFooty. Blows my mind how much it keeps changing. There were just two metro lines when I was first there in the late 90's, millions of bicycles and it was tough to find a decent sandwich; now they've got the longest subway system in the world, you're dodging Beamers and Mercs instead of bicycles and can sit down in any number of places for high tea on a Sunday afternoon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back