The Travel Thread šŸš— šŸš¢ āœˆ

Remove this Banner Ad

My son was caught between the devil and the deep blue sea in the last 24 hours. He messaged me to say heā€™d been bedridden for 48 hours with a throat infection. 6 hours later he messaged to say heā€™d taken himself to a nearby hospital Emergency Department. His glands had swollen, he had difficulty speaking and he was short of breath. He was pretty stressed and his experience over the next 6 to 7 hours only compounded his stress.

This is a rundown of the events.

The receptionist became frustrated with him because she couldnā€™t understand him. She told him to ā€œtell the doctor!ā€ that he had recently arrived from overseas despite the sign indicating that you should advise the receptionist.

The nurse who triaged him didnā€™t examine him. Aware that he was a foreigner he was advised by the nurse that the cost of seeing him would be around $1,000. I canā€™t help but think that this was to discourage him from seeking assistance.

He was then left sitting in the waiting area for a number of hours.

Eventually a nurse examined him and advised him that his airway was so swollen that it was almost closed. He knew that because he was having difficulty breathing. This nurse gave him some ā€˜mouth washā€™ to gargle as well as some pain relief. He was told there were people ahead of him and he would not be admitted but treated in emergency.

This was around 5 hours after arrival. It provided him with some relief. About an hour or so later he got sick of waiting and left the hospital satisfied he was still hours away from being seen.

He messaged me to say he was going to a nearby GP clinic to seek assistance. He told me later that he was treated with more care as a result. He has a really severe case of tonsillitis which was my google researched diagnosis.

It cost him $170 for the consultation and $32 for the medication. He was given a course of penicillin to treat the condition. Why? As an Australian living in Canada it takes 48 hours to get approval to prescribe antibiotics!

Not only is my son really ill he is really shaken by his experience. He wants to come home. Hopefully his mood will improve as his condition resolves itself with rest and treatment.

Itā€™s not great feeling as helpless as the family did over the past 24 hours.

My son was caught between the devil and the deep blue sea in the last 24 hours. He messaged me to say heā€™d been bedridden for 48 hours with a throat infection. 6 hours later he messaged to say heā€™d taken himself to a nearby hospital Emergency Department. His glands had swollen, he had difficulty speaking and he was short of breath. He was pretty stressed and his experience over the next 6 to 7 hours only compounded his stress.

The receptionist became frustrated with him because she couldnā€™t understand him. She told him to ā€œtell the doctor!ā€ that he had recently arrived from overseas despite the sign indicating that you should advise the receptionist.

The nurse who triaged him didnā€™t examine him. Aware that he was a foreigner he was advised by the nurse that the cost of seeing him would be around $1,000. I canā€™t help but think that this was to discourage him from seeking assistance.

Eventually a nurse examined him and advised him that his airway was so swollen that it was almost closed. He knew that because he was having difficulty breathing. This nurse gave him some ā€˜mouth washā€™ to gargle as well as some pain relief. He was told there were people ahead of him and he would not be admitted but treated in emergency.

This was around 5 hours after arrival. It provided him with some relief. About an hour or so later he got sick of waiting and left the hospital satisfied he was still hours away from being seen.

He messaged me to say he was going to a nearby GP clinic to seek assistance. He told me later that he was treated with more care as a result. He has a really severe case of tonsillitis which was my google researched diagnosis.

It cost him $170 for the consultation and $32 for the medication. He was given a course of penicillin to treat the condition. Why? As an Australian living in Canada it takes 48 hours to get approval to prescribe antibiotics!

Not only is my son really ill he is really shaken by his experience. He wants to come home. Hopefully his mood will improve as his condition resolves itself with rest and treatment.

Oh, that's horrible. Hope he recovers quickly. Looking for the positive, its probably fortunate that he's not in the US.

Oh, that's horrible. Hope he recovers quickly. Looking for the positive, its probably fortunate that he's not in the US.
Yes Iā€™ve heard about Americans pretending to be Canadians to get treatment on the other side of the border.

I just hope we treat people from overseas better when they seek medical treatment.

As part of his visa conditions my son has to have insurance for the duration of his stay. By hook or by crook they will get the money. No need to make it such an awful experience.

Yes Iā€™ve heard about Americans pretending to be Canadians to get treatment on the other side of the border.

I just hope we treat people from overseas better when they seek medical treatment.

As part of his visa conditions my son has to have insurance for the duration of his stay. By hook or by crook they will get the money. No need to make it such an awful experience.

Hope all is well with your son

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Have you heard how he's going Robbo?

My son has decided to come home. Will be back home on 28/11. Recent experience has left him feeling vulnerable and he wants to feel safe again by hanging around with his family and friends. His leave without pay finishes 17/12 so heā€™ll return to work pretty much straight away. Heā€™ll look for a place to live close to his work in Brunswick. In the meantime dadā€™s taxi will be for hire. Free of charge of course.

I dropped my daughter off at the Airport this morning. Off to Japan. Returns on 11/12/18. School trip. Sheā€™s supervising a group of secondary college kids. We went as far as the Dandenongs when I went to high school.
Grampians/Gariwerd

My daughter put up a story and it featured people crossing the street in a number of directions. She sped it up. All it needed was the Yakety Yak in the background.
We sat in Starbucks overlooking the crossing , just incredible to watch. I think there is about 2,500 people crossing every minute or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Albury art museum have a Ned Kelly exhibit on. V good to see in a quieter gallery with solo volunteer guide.
IMG_20181201_133657.jpg
They are also showing the first feature film in the world. Or what's left on the Kelly gang. I learnt that curnows were upstanding citizens since the 1880s. One of them saved a train before it reached the tracks that had been tipped up.

Hope heā€™s better now Robbo what a grim story

Albury art museum have a Ned Kelly exhibit on. V good to see in a quieter gallery with solo volunteer guide.
View attachment 591326
They are also showing the first feature film in the world. Or what's left on the Kelly gang. I learnt that curnows were upstanding citizens since the 1880s. One of them saved a train before it reached the tracks that had been tipped up.
Is this the collection that the National Gallery of Australia own? I saw it when I visited the NGA a few years ago. Captivating. Is there still one missing? Bloody Steve Vizard!

Is this the collection that the National Gallery of Australia own? I saw it when I visited the NGA a few years ago. Captivating. Is there still one missing? Bloody Steve Vizard!
Not all the nga own I think. V captivating. The Albury spin was to look at the landscapes not just Ned and characters. Tried but the stories are so interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back