The Travel Thread 🚗 🚢 ✈

Remove this Banner Ad

So this is really unglamorous, but I went on a cruise of the South Pacific over summer.

The itinerary was pretty ordinary (the islands it stopped at has nice beaches, but not much else to see), but my family had an absolute blast. Best holiday since we've had kids. By. A. Mile.

Loved the food, kids club, the service, the amenities (shows, performers, piano bar, adults-only pool). So much more.

First holiday in years that my wife and I have actually managed to properly relax.

Firmly recommend to anyone, especially families.
I am going on a 14 day South Pacific cruise in November this year, Vanuatu (not sure i have spelt that right) , New Caledonia and Fiji.

Looking forward to it.

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
So this is really unglamorous, but I went on a cruise of the South Pacific over summer.

The itinerary was pretty ordinary (the islands it stopped at has nice beaches, but not much else to see), but my family had an absolute blast. Best holiday since we've had kids. By. A. Mile.

Loved the food, kids club, the service, the amenities (shows, performers, piano bar, adults-only pool). So much more. And we weren't even on one of the luxury brands or the latest, fanciest-shmanciest ship either.

First holiday in years that my wife and I have actually managed to properly relax.

Firmly recommend to anyone, especially families.
So you go on a holiday to relax. Very interesting.🤔

Italy, Slovenia & Croatia booked for May

Bologna, Parma, Verona, Trieste, Piran, Rovink, Zadar, Split, Vis, Roma

6 weeks
;):airplane::bullettrain:

Can't go to Croatia and not go to Opatija.
Ruzmarin restaurant is highly recommended.

1549614495101.png

Only been through on the train. Sorry. Do have a couple of restaurants to recommend in Rome if you want a special night out.
Armandos
La ciambella Best eggplant parmigiana in the world

Or Quercia near campo de Fiori had a pistachio creme brulee that was yum. Plus great pasta.
Thanks Blue Gum we stop in Rome on our way home and staying near campo de Fiori for 4 nights, we have been a few times before and love Roma but recommendations are always good thanks
Eggplant Parma ....excellent ta.....nothing like a good Italian cucina!

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Anyone been to Bologna Italy ?
The closest I’ve been to Bologna would be Verona so I can’t help you except say that Northerners regard themselves as refined and cultured when compared to those who live in the south. It doesn’t matter where you come from really and food dominates. Bologna is no different. Don’t try and find spaghetti bolognese as it doesn’t exist in Bologna. Fettuccine al ragu is the signature dish of the locals.

You may be able to do some research via TV shows that I can recall seeing which featured Bologna.

One was a BBC language program called La Mappa Misteriosa. It was set in Bologna and featured a famous fictional chef who left the recipe for his famous cake in a book in a library. It sounds a bit corny but it features some of the sights of the city.

Michael Portillo does one of his railway journeys through Bologna. It’s called Pisa to Lake Garda.

And my favourites. The Two Greedy Italians do shows throughout Italy. I’m certain it’s still available on SBS On-Demand. These are great shows. A must see from me.

And when in Rome...

Just a personal note. My mum was born in a village called Celano which is about 80 kilometres east of Rome. It’s located in the Abruzzo and you can catch a train. It’s high in the hills and is overshadowed by the mighty Italian Alps. It has a 14th century castle and churches older than Adam. And of course the food. The best cooks in Italy. I’m a little bias.

And there’s still plenty of family living in Celano. The Piccone family runs a restaurant and I’m sure if you mention a connection to Luigi and Nedia (via Robbo) then you’ll get special treatment.;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The closest I’ve been to Bologna would be Verona so I can’t help you except say that Northerners regard themselves as refined and cultured when compared to those who live in the south. It doesn’t matter where you come from really and food dominates. Bologna is no different. Don’t try and find spaghetti bolognese as it doesn’t exist in Bologna. Fettuccine al ragu is the signature dish of the locals.

You may be able to do some research via TV shows that I can recall seeing which featured Bologna.

One was a BBC language program called La Mappa Misteriosa. It was set in Bologna and featured a famous fictional chef who left the recipe for his famous cake in a book in a library. It sounds a bit corny but it features some of the sights of the city.

Michael Portillo does one of his railway journeys through Bologna. It’s called Pisa to Lake Garda.

And my favourites. The Two Greedy Italians do shows throughout Italy. I’m certain it’s still available on SBS On-Demand. These are great shows. A must see from me.

And when in Rome...

Just a personal note. My mum was born in a village called Celano which is about 80 kilometres east of Rome. It’s located in the Abruzzo and you can catch a train. It’s high in the hills and is overshadowed by the mighty Italian Alps. It has a 14th century castle and churches older than Adam. And of course the food. The best cooks in Italy. I’m a little bias.

And there’s still plenty of family living in Celano. The Piccone family runs a restaurant and I’m sure if you mention a connection to Luigi and Nedia (via Robbo) then you’ll get special treatment.;)
Thanks Robbo. Will be in Verona at the end of May..
I’ll check out the above TV

Verona is very nice. I day-tripped there back in the day, but you could easily spend a few days.

The obvious thing to do is to visit the house/balcony purported to be Juliet's (of Romeo & Juliet), touch the breast of the statue of Juliet and admire the love note penned back in the day by ferrisb to mrsb on aforementioned honeymoon.

From memory there's a beautiful central plaza and amphitheatre. But the whole of central Verona is gorgeous. Classic Italy; cobblestones, ancient buildings, cafes, local charm, tacky tourist shops etc. I think the whole old town might be UNESCO protected.

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Verona is very nice. I day-tripped there back in the day, but you could easily spend a few days.

The obvious thing to do is to visit the house/balcony purported to be Juliet's (of Romeo & Juliet), touch the breast of the statue of Juliet and admire the love note penned back in the day by ferrisb to mrsb on aforementioned honeymoon.

From memory there's a beautiful central plaza and amphitheatre. But the whole of central Verona is gorgeous. Classic Italy; cobblestones, ancient buildings, cafes, local charm, tacky tourist shops etc. I think the whole old town might be UNESCO protected.
Verona has a coliseum like Rome. Still used for opera, mock sea battles and gladiator games.:p

I remember ordering a coffee in Verona and sharing some space with a few centurions who were on smoko.

Anyone been to Bologna Italy ?

Yeah I've been a couple of times - used to have family there.

Was a long time ago now so not sure how much I can help but happy to go looking for things in my parents books etc. if you need anything.

Yeah I've been a couple of times - used to have family there.

Was a long time ago now so not sure how much I can help but happy to go looking for things in my parents books etc. if you need anything.
Thanks J
We head off tonight,we’ll wing it we have over a week in the area will do a couple of day trips
Can’t wait

Have a great trip ESKIE
Thanks Aph just doodling at the airport waiting for departure just had a snack of rice paper rolls & a glass of rose feeling relaxed & ready for the long haul 😴
Will be keeping in touch with our blue boys & hope for a better performance moving forward

View attachment 669741
Our little courtyard at our Airbnb perfect for aperitivo later today :cool:

Bit worried about that item next to the standing pitchfork.
Looks just a little......demonic. Careful there Eskie.

May pop over to Yosemite soon. Not going to free-solo El Capitan, but may take a photo or two....or three.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back