The Travel Thread 🚗 🚢 ✈

Remove this Banner Ad

With holiday season fast approaching I thought it would be interesting to start a thread about travel.

Where have you been/where are you going/where do you want to go?

Travel is very popular and I'm sure plenty of Carlton supporters have been to all sorts of different places.

Others will be looking for advice as to where to go (countries & cities) and what to do there.

This can be to discuss not only places all around the world but also within Australia for those that prefer to stay and travel locally.

:thumbsu:

I wish I was going on a holiay *sigh

I've been to most of the Aus capital cities, US (West Coast), New Zealand, Samoa and the UK.
If you love history you'll love the UK, the countryside is beautiful :D

One of my highlights was Liverpool and going to watch a show in the Cavern Club. Really crappy comedian but it was the experience.

Next stop the rest of Europe and would like to visit Perth one day soon as I've never been

Xmas in Prague, will visit Hungary to see Dracula's Castle, will also visit Poland. Have 5 weeks in Eastern Europe to look forward to.

March next year, probably Costa Rica and Hondurus

WHERE I'VE BEEN:

Europe
France - Paris, Nice, Aix en Province, Arles, Marseille
Italy - Rome, Bologna, Pisa, Venice, Florence
Vatican City
Monaco

North America
USA - Lake Tahoe (California/Nevada border), Los Angeles, San Fransico, Orlando (Disneyworld)

Middle East
Israel - all over (strong family connection)
Egypt - Cairo & Giza, Aswan, Luxor, Idfu, Abu Simbel
Jordan - Aqaba

Asia
Vietnam (Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Hue, Hoi An)
Cambodia (Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Angkor)
Laos
Indonesia (Bali,
Thailand (Phuket, Bangkok)
Hong Kong

Australia & the rest of Oceania
All major cities except for Darwin
Alice Springs & Uluru (travelled on the Ghan from Adelaide to Alice Springs)
Tasmania (Launceston, Hobart, central highlands)
Papua New Guinea
New Caledonia (Noumea)
New Zealand (Wellington, Auckland, Rotorua)

The main use of this thread is to discuss places so if anyone needs advice/help regarding any of the above places then feel free to ask.

Am currently planning a 2 month trip to Europe with a few friends starting at the end of December. Flying in to London then training through to Spain (Madrid and Barcelona), Italy (Rome definitely and then thinking about Venice, Florence, Bologna), France (Paris definitely, maybe Marseille, Nice). Thinking about Belgium (Brussels & Antwerp), Germany (Munich & Berlin), Netherlands (Amsterdam), Portugal (Lisbon) and Czech Republic (Prague).

If anyone has advice on where to go/what to do in those countries and cities then please send it my way :thumbsu:

Would love to go to Eastern Europe (Russia, Poland etc.), Scandinavia some time down the track. Also South, Central and North America properly.

Can't say that Africa appeals to me much besides Northern Africa but maybe The Cranium can persuade me otherwise....:D

So many places to go, so little time to go in......and not enough money to travel it all!

Good idea J.

I've been to a few places I guess, some favourite cities are Beijing, Shanghai, Bangkok, Seoul, Paris, Venice, Chicago. Some i don't much like are Nadi, Auckland, LA, Orlando, Las Vegas, La Paz. Earlier this year I went somewhere different (for me anyway) - Peru - and it was fabulous. A few days in Cusco, ten days hiking through the Andes to Machu Picchu. A couple of days in the Amazon, a couple more around Lake Titicaca (my wife was really into the caca's whereas I was, no, never mind). A couple of days in the funkiest place I have ever seen - Valparaiso in Chile. Trip of a lifetime - can recommend it to anyone. Off to Switzerland in December, never been there before. Would love to hear any recommendations.

I've just come back from Thailand, which was my first time overseas. I really didn't want to come back to Australia because it was an amazing experience.

In Bangkok, I basically went shopping everyday at ever market and superstores. I have never seen so many people in my whole entire life.

- Patpong was an eye opener. :eek:

[YOUTUBE]nRieec94rsc[/YOUTUBE]

- Traveling on longboats were fantastic!

In Phuket, I basically partied and relaxed. Thanks to a prostitute we got upgraded hotel which was to the Hilton Hotel. :D I quite enjoyed the boat trip/snorkeling to the islands of Pi Pi, Maya Beach and also Monkey beach.

[YOUTUBE]2kNRPQgGkZk[/YOUTUBE]

I'm going back. That's for sure! :thumbsu:

India the people are great, the country is huge and it's cheap. For about $2 you can have a dinner in a 4 star restaurant.

No actually Antarctica is gorgeous, but avoid in winter unless you plan on being there for a few months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wish I was going on a holiay *sigh

I've been to most of the Aus capital cities, US (West Coast), New Zealand, Samoa and the UK.
If you love history you'll love the UK, the countryside is beautiful :D

One of my highlights was Liverpool and going to watch a show in the Cavern Club. Really crappy comedian but it was the experience.

Next stop the rest of Europe and would like to visit Perth one day soon as I've never been
Which part of NZ M-BIB?
Me, well I've been living up here on the Gold Coast for nearly 5 months. This is my first time I've been up on mainland Australia before. My brother lived in Brisbane for 6 months before moving down to Melbourne and has been living there ever since (4 years).
Been to Brissy, albeit only briefly to watch my first ever AFL game where the best AFL team in the competition defeated the Brisbane Lions on their home turf.:footy::thumbsu:
GC and Brisbane are the only cities in Australia I've been to outside of where I'm from...Tasmania (yes, where the thylacine comes from).:thumbsu:;)
Been to New Zealand before but haven't been for nearly 10 years...lovely place and I definitely consider myself a Kiwi as that is where my father's family are from. Places there I've went to are Wellington, Taupo and Palmerston North (the latter 2 both located in the middle of North Island, family from Wellington).
Planning things pretty much never work out for me, but I would love to go back there and would perhaps live there one day as well.
Would like to travel Europe one day as well, especially the UK.:thumbsu:

WHERE I'VE BEEN:

Am currently planning a 2 month trip to Europe with a few friends starting at the end of December. Flying in to London then training through to Spain (Madrid and Barcelona), Italy (Rome definitely and then thinking about Venice, Florence, Bologna), France (Paris definitely, maybe Marseille, Nice). Thinking about Belgium (Brussels & Antwerp), Germany (Munich & Berlin), Netherlands (Amsterdam), Portugal (Lisbon) and Czech Republic (Prague).

If anyone has advice on where to go/what to do in those countries and cities then please send it my way :thumbsu:

Would love to go to Eastern Europe (Russia, Poland etc.), Scandinavia some time down the track. Also South, Central and North America properly.

Can't say that Africa appeals to me much besides Northern Africa but maybe The Cranium can persuade me otherwise....:D

So many places to go, so little time to go in......and not enough money to travel it all!

My first suggestion if you have the capacity is to work in the region, I'm lucky in the fact my employer pays my flights very quarter (therefore I have the latitude to travel)

I don't have the time at the minute, but I've done 35 countries and I would say the highlights would be Finland and Iceland, i went to the far north and the Arctic Circle - totally awesome. Ice Fishing / snow mobiles, 24 hour sunshine or 3 hours of darkness...totally does your head in.

Russia, my suggestion is to go to Vienna to get your visa. - you just need to book accommodation in the places you want top travel, the confirmation booking is your invitation and in Vienna the visa takes 24 hours to obtain from the Russian Embassy.

Africa - You need contacts, as some places can be a little hairy. I love the place and I love the people. But, as the saying goes, trust no one, your there for a reason and they exploit that reason. I've travelled all of Western Africa, Egypt and South Africa.

As I said earlier, this will be my second trip to Prague, but will have 5 weeks, so I will venture into Poland as well. Shits all of Western Europe which I have covered extensively. Czech republic is rudley cheap and they won't switch to the Euro for at least five years. A big feed and a 10 hour drinking seasion will set you back $40. max. Except and the strip clubs (not that I would know :eek: ) they charge hugely for spirits, so buy a bottle and it costs around $70.00)

I think its all to do with timing and what is on, read about the Market Festival - Arras France, awesome venue and you can go there via Paris or Brussels.

I'll post something on the Netherlands shortly, as there are better places than Amsterdam.

Germany, definitely Hamburg should be on your list, Munich reminded me of Melbourne - IMO.

Sublime has been there ...Malta is also very good, hydrofoil from Sicily - 1 - 2 hrs.

Feel free to PM me, as I've covered from Portugal to Czech republic and all of Scandinavia including the Faroe Islands.

My first suggestion if you have the capacity is to work in the region, I'm lucky in the fact my employer pays my flights very quarter (therefore I have the latitude to travel)

I'm still at uni so working there is not even near the radar at the moment. But truth be told I'd probably work anywhere if my flights were covered too :thumbsu:

I don't have the time at the minute, but I've done 35 countries and I would say the highlights would be Finland and Iceland, i went to the far north and the Arctic Circle - totally awesome. Ice Fishing / snow mobiles, 24 hour sunshine or 3 hours of darkness...totally does your head in.

You sound exceptionally well travelled.

I love going to new places/experiencing new cultures all around the world so if you do get the time I'd love to hear about some of the places you have been and where you recommend & when.

Russia, my suggestion is to go to Vienna to get your visa. - you just need to book accommodation in the places you want top travel, the confirmation booking is your invitation and in Vienna the visa takes 24 hours to obtain from the Russian Embassy.

Russia is not at the top of my priority list truth be told but will keep it in mind. Something I'd love to do is travel the Trans-Siberian railway from Moscow down to China. Would take a lengthy period of time but I would think the experience would be unbelievable and the scenery outstanding.

Africa - You need contacts, as some places can be a little hairy. I love the place and I love the people. But, as the saying goes, trust no one, your there for a reason and they exploit that reason. I've travelled all of Western Africa, Egypt and South Africa.

I've done Egypt and loved it and can recommend it to anyone but the only other place I'd do in Africa is Morocco. As you say, some places can be a little hairy and I'm not sure I'd be willing and able to take the risk. Have heard that it's an amazing experience to do a safari and that South Africa if you can get over the danger is beautiful so I may have to overcome my fears at some stage and just go.

As I said earlier, this will be my second trip to Prague, but will have 5 weeks, so I will venture into Poland as well. Shits all of Western Europe which I have covered extensively. Czech republic is rudley cheap and they won't switch to the Euro for at least five years. A big feed and a 10 hour drinking seasion will set you back $40. max. Except and the strip clubs (not that I would know :eek: ) they charge hugely for spirits, so buy a bottle and it costs around $70.00)

Cheap cheap - a lovely way to travel. ;)

Everyone I've spoken to just loves Eastern Europe so I'll have to experience it for myself. But Europe is just an enormous place in terms of the amount of countries to go to and things to do so unless I plan on spending a huge amount of time there I'd probably want to do it in a few trips if it is affordable.

I think its all to do with timing and what is on, read about the Market Festival - Arras France, awesome venue and you can go there via Paris or Brussels.

Have never heard of this festival but just researched it and it says it runs from late November to Christmas eve. I leave here on Christmas eve so won't make it but maybe some time in the future - never say never :thumbsu:

I'll post something on the Netherlands shortly, as there are better places than Amsterdam.

Would love to get some feedback on this - people I've spoken to re: Netherlands say Amsterdam is the place to go as it is trendy and most appealing for someone of my age.

Germany, definitely Hamburg should be on your list, Munich reminded me of Melbourne - IMO.

Sublime has been there ...Malta is also very good, hydrofoil from Sicily - 1 - 2 hrs.

Unfortunately time constraints mean that I won't be able to do everything. Would love to but in 1 month a person just cannot do a country true justice so I'll have to just skim the top of each country and move on to the next. I'll have about a month to do whatever we think is best so I'm thinking 1 week per country is most comfortable, don't want to spend too brief a period of time in a place but also don't want to stay for no reason. It's a complicated trip with people leaving and coming so won't go in to details of that as it's probably best if we just discuss places and from there I can plan.

Malta is an interesting one. Obviously not against going there by any stretch but would it be better in summer or winter? It's down below Italy near Cinque Terre and the Amalfi coast - 2 places I would love to visit but would it be fair to say that summer would be a better time to go?

Feel free to PM me, as I've covered from Portugal to Czech republic and all of Scandinavia including the Faroe Islands.

Happy to PM you if easier but also happy to continue the discussion in here as it is not just for my benefit and I'm sure others will be most interested in what you have to say. But if it's easier for you via PM then that's fine by me :thumbsu:

All over Oz, except for NT
Been to NZ - loved Tauranga (Eastern side of the North Island, not that far from Hamilton
UK
USA - California
Hong Kong

The gf and I have been talking about going to Canada for quite a while now. Although, that's all it has been.

Favourite part of Oz that I have travelled to is Perth, and love Margaret River. Guns, and the rest of the WA posters, you are so lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the country. If I was to move from Melbourne, then Perth it would be.

J, Netherlands.

The aspect of Amsterdam is as per the stories handed down about its liberal laws. I find it rather seedy in its aspect and if you use the glass top boats, all cafes display the Brazillian flag that service the one side of business that the red light district does. Plus its safer as tourists are continually sought as easy fodder in this tourist district. Further up is more localised as you will find it more relaxing.

I found Groningen heaps better and it offers a lot more than Amsterdam IMO.

J, Netherlands.

The aspect of Amsterdam is as per the stories handed down about its liberal laws. I find it rather seedy in its aspect and if you use the glass top boats, all cafes display the Brazillian flag that service the one side of business that the red light district does. Plus its safer as tourists are continually sought as easy fodder in this tourist district. Further up is more localised as you will find it more relaxing.

I found Groningen heaps better and it offers a lot more than Amsterdam IMO.

Thanks for the info mate, will look in to it.

Any further bits of information you can share about any countries/cities worth going to would be much appreciated. :thumbsu:

Unfortunately only the Auckland area. The nerd in me wants to see where they filmed Lord of The Rings :D

21j6hhh.jpg

I swam where they filmed this part of the movie in Phuket. Absolutely fantastic! :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back