VFL The treatment of our VFL side by the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Just an FYI on the crap about interest being limited to "20-30" views, our 2018 round 1 game VFL game against the Blues currently has nearly 9k views.
Well their seconds are far better to watch than their miserable firsts.

(This post is really just to smack Carlton again.)

Last edited:
How could you (or anyone for that matter) possibly know this given the club posts consolidated financials?

How could anybody know if the AFL is subsidising the SNL? Or if the reason for the poor VFL coverage is due to money spent on SNL? Or AFLW? Or any of the other outlandish comments being made in this thread?

Surely I‘m allowed to point out that the SNL (and AFLW for that matter) have more stable revenue streams than VFL, and then toss in a few crazy extrapolations of my own for good measure?

How could anybody know if the AFL is subsidising the SNL? Or if the reason for the poor VFL coverage is due to money spent on SNL? Or AFLW? Or any of the other outlandish comments being made in this thread?

Surely I‘m allowed to point out that the SNL (and AFLW for that matter) have more stable revenue streams than VFL, and then toss in a few crazy extrapolations of my own for good measure?

They couldn’t, certainly not with the absoluteness of your post, and that was my point (although I strongly suspect it’s definitely not the case). We could always do a cost analysis? The costs I’d associate with the VFL team are the VFL players. The rest should fall under the AFL football department cap. On the flip side the SNL team would have players, coaches, admin, equipment and facilities expenses as a bare minimum. As I said both would likely turn a loss, but who knows. We simply don’t have access to enough of that facts to commit to a POV.

We can’t attribute the poor VFL coverage to the SNL coverage and my post also didn’t even touch on that so I’m not sure why you’d be asking that question of me. The outlandish comments that Kappa put out there were the reason for my final sentence. The only real problem I had with yours was that you threw fuel on the fire, IMO, with your assertion that the SNL team was subsidising the VFL team. Personally the stupidity of the whole discussion brings the board down.

Finally I’m not denying you your POV just pulling you up on the assertiveness of it. Questions for you. Why would you cherry pick my post and not address all of it? Also why do you seem to always take it personally when the SNL comes under scrutiny?

They couldn’t, certainly not with the absoluteness of your post, and that was my point (although I strongly suspect it’s definitely not the case).

My absoluteness was matching the absoluteness of others. If folks want to put out absurd claims, what better way of pulling them up than tossing in absurd counterclaims? You’re trying logic but that doesn’t work with people who are too busy tossing their toys out of the cot. Markfs has shown me the way :)

We could always do a cost analysis? The costs I’d associate with the VFL team are the VFL players.

VFL roster size versus SNL roster size?

The rest should fall under the AFL football department cap. On the flip side the SNL team would have players, coaches, admin, equipment and facilities expenses as a bare minimum.

Same with VFL? Our VFL has a senior coach, development coaches and a general manager? What facilities are needed for netball? A bunch of netballs? Clothes (sponsored) for the girls to wear? The gym is the same. Like the VFL we have our own training facilities.

As I said both would likely turn a loss, but who knows. We simply don’t have access to enough of that facts to commit to a POV.

Indeed.

We can’t attribute the poor VFL coverage to the SNL coverage and my post also didn’t even touch on that so I’m not sure why you’d be asking that question of me.

Sorry, it probably wasn’t directed at you then.

The outlandish comments that Kappa put out there were the reason for my final sentence. The only real problem I had with yours was that you threw fuel on the fire, were pointing out the absudity of some people’s claims by tossing out an absurd counterclaim that - as has been pointed out - people don’t have any facts to argue against IMO, with your assertion that the SNL team was subsidising the VFL team.

EFA

Also why do you seem to always take it personally when the SNL comes under scrutiny?

Why would I take it personally? I don’t have a dog in this fight.

I suspect that unlike too many others, I’ve actually been to an SNL game to see what all the fuss is about ...

... and see the fuss I did. I gotta say, that having my ears sent into a resonating state by a few thousand teenage girls screaming at the top of their lungs inside a packed arena ...

... ‘cause Magpies are 1 point down with 20 seconds to play ...

... well that isn’t exactly my kind of fun. I’m happy to stick to my footy. But I can appreciate the joy it brings to others, and am proud to see that joy delivered under the Magpies banner. And I just think it’s a bit poor form when people toss out anti-SNL opinions when they come from a place of ignorance.

The "reason" why the VFL coverage doesn't really matter, what matters is the club stops being so poor and gives us access to an important Collingwood match. It's 2019 ffs, I can watch the liverpool development squad on Australian tv but can't watch Collingwood youngsters start their careers?

Hows Quaynor going? How does he project going forward? ****ed if I know nowadays

Amazing how quick people forget that our vfl afl teams are linked together that is precisely why vfl needs to be streamed for hardcore fans just as other teams do and we've done in the past

He didn't say anything about people wanting the opportunity to do it and upload it? Nor did he say anything about there being significant interest; enough to create passive income. All he did was reply to your comment about the club not being about to justify the cost, which is what you originally said was the reason for them not doing it.

So ultimately - assuming you don't disagree with Kappa's estimated costings - the club can't spare $18...
He did say people would love the opportunity.
So If it is something that people would love to do I am sure they would forgo the 18 dollars and just do it and load it onto you tube.
My point stands

Gaben has the right of this one. There’s no way cost is the issue as you posted. The desire would be greater than Joely’s post too, but there are obviously reasons we aren’t privy to. For instance the club has umpteen interns they could have doing it they’re just choosing not to. As I pointed out earlier a live stream or replay would get more than 20 to 30 views. A replay of a live stream though is different again.
Exactly where in my post have I mentioned cost.
I talked about lack of interest, at no stage did I even elude to cost let alone mentioned it as an issue.
Your standards are slipping Sco :):)

They couldn’t, certainly not with the absoluteness of your post, and that was my point (although I strongly suspect it’s definitely not the case). We could always do a cost analysis? The costs I’d associate with the VFL team are the VFL players. The rest should fall under the AFL football department cap. On the flip side the SNL team would have players, coaches, admin, equipment and facilities expenses as a bare minimum. As I said both would likely turn a loss, but who knows. We simply don’t have access to enough of that facts to commit to a POV.

We can’t attribute the poor VFL coverage to the SNL coverage and my post also didn’t even touch on that so I’m not sure why you’d be asking that question of me. The outlandish comments that Kappa put out there were the reason for my final sentence. The only real problem I had with yours was that you threw fuel on the fire, IMO, with your assertion that the SNL team was subsidising the VFL team. Personally the stupidity of the whole discussion brings the board down.

Finally I’m not denying you your POV just pulling you up on the assertiveness of it. Questions for you. Why would you cherry pick my post and not address all of it? Also why do you seem to always take it personally when the SNL comes under scrutiny?
Just FYI i think you misunderstood my post. Someone said our media department and VFL coverage may of been cut due to the new netball team (or something to that effect) and I replied IF that the case our netball team must go.

Our AFL team must have absolute pririoty. If the SNL team can pay for itself then it's whatever. Anyway, I blame the club leaders and not anyone else.

So If it is something that people would love to do I am sure they would forgo the 18 dollars and just do it and load it onto you tube.
My point stands
Club employees would love the opportunity. Expecting randoms to go out and buy expensive cameras and sound equipment then spend time uploading it then try and advertise it purely the sake of strangers is a little ridiculous. A club employee could easily do it however.
I talked about lack of interest, at no stage did I even elude to cost let alone mentioned it as an issue.
The lack of interest is rubbish, there is enough interest in our VFL team to warrant coverage, you can't argue that. As other people have pointed out some games get many thousands of views, and would get significantly more with proper promotion/advertisement

They already have VOLUNTEERS who film on behalf of the club.
There's a cameraman behind the goals at Victory Park in the grandstand.
They film games at HC from the balcony.
It would be ludicrous, (IMO) to think the club doesn't film their players rather than just relying on word of mouth.
The footage exists, it's just not shown.

PS: That wasn't directed at you Otto, just picked up on "the cost" part of your post. :thumbsu:
Ok then I shall reword it and also Scodog10 you were probably refering to this when you quoted my other post so sorry to you.
Maybe there just isn't enough interest.
They did try it. I'm sure they have data regarding this.
I think a live stream would attract interest but I doubt many people would want to watch a replay especially if there is no commentary as we wouldn't know who half the blokes are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club employees would love the opportunity. Expecting randoms to go out and buy expensive cameras and sound equipment then spend time uploading it then try and advertise it purely the sake of strangers is a little ridiculous. A club employee could easily do it however.

The lack of interest is rubbish, there is enough interest in our VFL team to warrant coverage, you can't argue that. As other people have pointed out some games get many thousands of views, and would get significantly more with proper promotion/advertisement
Kappa correct me if I'm wrong but don't we film these games anyway can't be much to stream em live if that's correct and The lack of intrest comes because we can't see it ffs

My point stands

Pretty obvious he was talking about club employees, aka the people that already have access to the recorded footage.

I think that one of the reasons that the club doesn't want to do something with the VFL is because they want everything to look super-professional and cutting edge if it comes under the club's banner. Following on from that, I dont think the media types at the club want to be associated with a budget level telecast or audio feed of VFL games. It would be "beneath them".

What happened to the players doing their informal interviews of their fellow players. Everyone took a turn.... it seemed that a lot of them enjoyed it. It must have taken about half an hour to put together and maybe some time from the media section in editing it etc. All we have now is a drone flying over the club and 3 minutes of swoop.... where they rehash the company line post game or looking to the next game. It's like we've turned into a german car company.

The most interesting media things done during the week dont involve the collingwood media - buckley post game press conference. His stints with Whateley. Adam Treloar's bit on 360. Jock and Journo isnt too bad either and I dont think the collingwood media is involved. I dont know how much the club spends on this crowd but it would get more value from the money having the players piss dom perignon down the old dunnies at vic park.

So my analysis from a great distance is that the Pie media has turned into navel-gazing elitists incapable of getting their hands grubby dealing with the VFL.

Just FYI i think you misunderstood my post. Someone said our media department and VFL coverage may of been cut due to the new netball team (or something to that effect) and I replied IF that the case our netball team must go.

Our AFL team must have absolute pririoty. If the SNL team can pay for itself then it's whatever. Anyway, I blame the club leaders and not anyone else.

Nope I got your post. My issue was that you chose to take that path of ambiguity again after the issue in the VFL matchday thread re AFLW. I wouldn’t have in your shoes. If I had an issue like 76 did I would have quoted you.

I suspect that this is the real reason the club doesn't stream it. Not enough interest to justify the cost.

There’s life left in me yet 😉

Kappa correct me if I'm wrong but don't we film these games anyway can't be much to stream em live if that's correct and The lack of intrest comes because we can't see it ffs

We Defintally Tap the VFL Games as I see them doing it at the Games

Very disappointing not to be able to hear more on our developing young talent.

Maybe the club reckons it’s in the best interests of the developing young talent to shield them from too much exposure? Maybe they want them concentrating more of their footy and less on their hair-do’s? (Sorry Vicky Park , I don’t mean to be so insensitive to players grooming habits :( ). I have no idea. It just seems to be something that changed as a result of the review, and for all the complaints about poor internal media output / lack of VFL replay / etc / etc, there has been a noticeable improvement in team performance post review - which is a good thing, yes?

That's a good theory. The fact that the club seems to be teasing with the return of lulie street seems to contradict it. It would probably be better if the kiddies stayed away from their phones, if that was possible. Or it might be smarter to remind them that a large proportion of the fans putting pressure on them are abject failures in life, and have no idea how to play good footy.

That's a good theory. The fact that the club seems to be teasing with the return of lulie street seems to contradict it. It would probably be better if the kiddies stayed away from their phones, if that was possible. Or it might be smarter to remind them that a large proportion of the fans putting pressure on them are abject failures in life, and have no idea how to play good footy.

Not sure if this is necessary. To be honest, many of the footballers I've met have no trouble viewing themselves as above the rest of society.

Not sure if this is necessary. To be honest, many of the footballers I've met have no trouble viewing themselves as above the rest of society.

well it seems that there are a few who need an arrogance booster jab.... although I suppose the problems might develop from being called useless 50 times a day by a bunch of cretins masquerading as experts behind fake personnas on the net. Maybe there's a way to screen out these idiots' opinions so the younger players only have to listen to smart opinions from smart people like ourselves.

A couple of those that say broadcasts are streaming on vfl.com.au. It's more about them providing the streaming with their spondor rather than those clubs choosing to produce it themselves. Our game against essendon will be streamed on there in round 4. I remember a few years ago they streamed the anzac round game on youube then had the replay up, was pretty good. Watched it the next night and the video had 14 views despite being linked here.
The reason it had so few views is because we actually watched it when it was streamed live, those views don’t count on the replay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back