Club History The Triumvirate’s Timeline: Thomas Gone. Let The Historical Whitewashing Begin!

Remove this Banner Ad

Hereby reposting, for the record, appropriate media and facts below:

THE AGE, published 3 October 2012, the day after Koch’s appointment. Byline: Ashley Porter.

(Mods - I have quoted the article in full, it being over seven years old. If, however, the BF Statute of Limitations does not apply, please let me know by PM and I will edit/cut down the text and leave the bones.)

Chairman signals new dawn at Port

Port Adelaide yesterday introduced David Koch as its new chairman and, as expected, the television personality gave an entertaining performance, starting with a history of his family standing on the mounds at Alberton Oval since the 1870s.

There was, of course, mention of his morning television show, his business empire and theories on financial and corporate matters, plus a one-liner here and there.

But as soon as the media grilling began the mood changed and there was a clear understanding that his appointment was about selling Port to the corporate world, a seemingly insurmountable task.

Significantly, Koch, 56 (now 63) is the chairman, not president as per previous appointments, because Port's constitution all of a sudden dictates this, although the constitution is about to be thrown out as the AFL takes back its licence - and the Adelaide licence - as part of the bigger shake-ups to come.

After surprising four board members - Nick House, David Basheer, Bruce Abernethy and Mick O'Connor - with an ultimatum that they must resign, Port will in the next week appoint corporate lawyer Jamie Restas, television producer Cos Cardone, lawyer and accountant Sam Sangster and accountant Ross Haslam to the board. It leaves one spot to be filled.

Cardone and Sangster live in Melbourne but, said Koch, who lives in Sydney, that is irrelevant because corporate business nowadays is often done by electronic media. Also, of the new board, only one has played senior football - Haslam more than 30 years ago at Port.

The appointments came from the AFL. Only one board member will be selected by the club members, a change from four under the soon-to-be-discarded club constitution.

The new board will appoint the new coach - Hawthorn assistant Leon Cameron - in the next week. Port must then focus on its player list, already battered by the pending loss of Troy Chaplin and Danyle Pearce under free agency, and the death of John McCarthy, a sadness that continues to weigh heavily on everyone at the club.

Koch has an enormous task ahead, but the new chairman spoke of much excitement.

''We are a club that competes nationally on the field, and we have to be a club that competes nationally off the field in that sponsorship market and network market,'' he said. ''I won't be the only east coast director on the board. It's a conscious decision by the club that we have to think broader.”

''I believe my role as chairman of the board is to make Keith [Thomas, chief executive], the team and the operation super stars. I won't be a high-profile chairman.”

''Obviously, I can't be here every day, but in my business and my career that has never been a barrier. Technology and video conferencing is to a point now where it's cheap, free and easily accessible.”

''I will be here for every board meeting [monthly]. I will be here for every game that I can be.”

''I said to Kevin [vice-chairman Kevin Osborn] that, I am IT savvy that it's not an issue for me; you just check that the Port Adelaide culture is savvy enough so that it doesn't become a barrier.''

Among the challenges, is funding, and Koch believes Port can make terrific inroads. ''That's the reason why we are setting up a board and a structure that is very east-coast orientated. It is amazing the number of born-and-bred Port Adelaide business people that have moved on to great success nationally and internationally who want to help.''

Notes:
1. Had we not lost to GWS, KT would have asked the (old) board of directors to extend Primus.
2. As at 2 Oct. 2012 Leon Cameron was our new senior coach; six days later Hinkley flew in minus panel vetting but complete with CEO’s personal stamp of approval.
3. Deputy Chairman Kevin Osborn was the carry-over from the old board to the new, and is still in situ; it might be assumed he had much to do, as much or more than Koch, with compiling the list of names of replacement directors approved by the AFL.
4. Some of the text in Porter’s article above has been rendered incorrect by subsequent events.

Koch has come out with some absolute rippers eg `I want to make Ken Hinkley a 10 year coach,' but his `I believe my role as chairman of the board is to make Keith, the team and the operation super stars!' has got to be the throw away line of the millenium. o_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Back