Society/Culture The Trouble with Woke Comedy

Remove this Banner Ad

Criticism is not an act of censorship though.
Which comedian are you referencing? Because the guy in the OP was kicked off stage for perceived slights. Regardless, the kind of heat he and people like Louis CK took for his recent set is bullshit, whether censorship is involved or not. I don't think anyone in this thread has even brought it up. The point is that some people are trying to set everyone else's moral compasses in relation to the one area that is supposed to be mostly immune to that - comedy. A critical aspect of comedy is to speak truth to power through subversion and humour, among many other things.

People can hold whatever opinions they like, and "call out" comedians for what they think is unacceptable until their are hoarse. But it remains bullshit IMO and should be called out right back.

Criticism is not an act of censorship though.

Do you think the criticism of this act would have surfaced at all if he hadn't allegedly jerked off in front of women?

Be honest now mate.

Do you think the criticism of this act would have surfaced at all if he hadn't allegedly jerked off in front of women?

Be honest now mate.
Probably not.

But the criticism of him wasn't trying to censor. It was saying an a-hole is still being an a-hole.

And this is a side issue. But did you find it funny? Doug Stanhope is a libertarian, and he is funny as hell. CK was just ranting.

Be honest now mate.
Snake here's Stanhope and Carlin going at PC and virtue signalling in a way CK can't anymore. They make it funny without going at easy targets.

He was an a-hole prior to the jerking thing? This is news to me.

I found it moderately funny, as the idea of the existence of a high propensity of moronic soft utensils resonates strongly with me.

I mean REALLY soft and REALLY stupid.

As for Stanhope, I'll let him speak for himself:

The faux outrage that was once resigned to the deceitful provenance of current affairs journalists and politicians has now become standard conduct for a significant portion of the demographic that was once united against this type of rubbish.

We are facing an onslaught of mini Murdochs!!!!

Jonathan Pie actually makes reference to this in the OP clip.

The reaction to a declining comedian who isn't very funny is overblown.

The reaction to criticism of him is way overblown. If criticism of him is considered censorious, so should criticism of those criticising him.

The reaction to the criticism is mostly just "shut up you idiots, he's doing comedy". If no-one had that reaction, the idiots would eventually win.

Overblown or not, it doesn't change whether it's bullshit or not.
There's lot's of comedy that is bullshit, lot's of music that is bullshit, lot's of cinema that is bullshit, lot's of television that is bullshit.
If no-one watches it or turns up for the gig then it's finished. That's the real test.
Thousand's turned out for Hitler's Munich Rally.
He blew his brains out alone.
End of gig I suspect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back