Opinion The Trump Presidency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this came about because an anti Trumper said Trump supporters should be killed?

Trump's mental wall and media wall are more important than the physical wall. Of course the US consumer pays, and the GOP's proposed 'GST/VAT' shell game makes no difference to that. Everyone knows that, right?

Some of the MSM are starting to realize that the lying was the story, not the words out of his mouth. His fanbase are somewhat 'immunized' against MSM by now though, because the 'pockets of anger' were missed in things like reporting on how well the economy was doing on average across the States.

I say "was" because media or no, all we can hope for now is that he does minimal global damage for four years, and is turfed out along with plenty others, before Republicans in a few more swing states multiply the existing inequities in their electoral system even more their way. They're now looking to include the gerrymandered congressional districts they put in place in 2010 into part of the new rules for the way their states allocate some electoral college votes in future presidential elections. Gerrymander for Congressional election multiplied into gerrymander at Presidential election.

The game has moved on, just as the MSM start playing the game as they should have been playing nine months ago :(

At some point it stops having any real semblance of democracy (and Putin rests easy knowing the world's 800 pound gorilla has made itself into a zombie).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ectoral-college-rules/?utm_term=.9b84ab3433dc

Say what you want about trump he is doing exactly what he is said he would.

Say what you want about trump he is doing exactly what he is said he would.
Yeah give the guy a chance I reckon. If in 6 months he's proving to be a disaster, then give him condemnation he deserves. Until then, let's see what happens.

Yeah give the guy a chance I reckon. If in 6 months he's proving to be a disaster, then give him condemnation he deserves. Until then, let's see what happens.
This is exactly my stance, but a year.

The hypocritical comments by some of the people I read on various news sites about him especially about the wall are just amazing.

This is exactly my stance, but a year.

The hypocritical comments by some of the people I read on various news sites about him especially about the wall are just amazing.
Put it this way - he doesn't seem to be giving any indication that he'll be a lame duck leader, like our very own Jay Weatherall!!!!

Haha trump and Putin first phone call....let's team up and destroy Isis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is obviously no comparison in their politics, but the way Trump is pulling the trigger on everything is reminding me a tad of the Whitlam era, when Gough got stuck into a heap of changes virtually from day one.

At least Gough was riding a huge wave of positive public relations at the time, which Trump doesn't have, and I'm not convinced the orange one will last as long as Gough, but the end result could be very similar. :rolleyes:

Trump's Mexican stand off will be interesting too, maybe someone needs to tell him that cheap labour from south of the border is one of the reasons the Californian wine industry eg, plus a number of other agricultural based industries are in reasonable shape.

It has to be doubtful too that many Anglo Americans will be prepared to do the work currently carried out by cheap Mexican labour at a reported rate of something like $5.00 an hour, and the more jobs for home grown Americans push has every chance of resulting in significant price increases.

Price increases are often the first sign that the natives will eventually become restless with their political leaders. ;)

I find it deliciously coincidental that the seven countries mentioned by General Wesley Clarke that the US was said to go to war with after 9/11 - Libya, Lebanon, Sudan, Syria, Iraq, Iran and Somalia just happen to be eerily similar to the ones that have been placed under immigration ban - just replace Lebanon with Yemen.

It's almost like, oh, I don't know...that the US wants something to kick off in those countries so they can go and bomb the s**t out of them.

The thing that makes me laugh is these "millions" of protesters who have come out of the woodwork.
Maybe if a few more of them had bothered to vote then Trump wouldn't have won anyway.
Due to working with a US company I have quite a few American friends - funnily enough, the loudest anti-Trump people are the ones who didn't vote.
I don't particularly like Trump, but by virtue of the system, he gets his shot at running things.
Democrats had the last 8 years to revamp the electoral system....they didn't.

The thing that makes me laugh is these "millions" of protesters who have come out of the woodwork.
Maybe if a few more of them had bothered to vote then Trump wouldn't have won anyway.
Due to working with a US company I have quite a few American friends - funnily enough, the loudest anti-Trump people are the ones who didn't vote.
I don't particularly like Trump, but by virtue of the system, he gets his shot at running things.
Democrats had the last 8 years to revamp the electoral system....they didn't.
How so?

Everyone (and in particular the Democrats) are whining about winning the popular vote but losing the Electoral College and how the system is unfair.
They had 8 years in power to make or attempt to make changes to the system but they didn't.
The President doesn't have that kind of power. That would require either a change to the constitution or enough individual states to change the rules on how their electors vote from voting for the candidate who wins the state to the candidate who wins the national vote.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/electoral-college-system-ever-change/

I'm no great fan of Madge, but her comments that were along the lines the system created the problem, maybe her best work.

Whether Trump is a dud ( which I believe will be the case ) remains to be seen, but any system that allows an individual to stand for the highest office in the land, without any political experience, or endorsement from his/her electorate, simply because they can afford to, is obviously flawed.

Things like that are only supposed to happen in a banana republic, not in a country that is still the most powerful in the world, although there is probably little doubt the Chinese will close the gap rapidly.

B) Your mate is banning an entire religion from entering the United States
I agree with your sentiment but this is incorrect. They are seven majority Muslim countries but there is a distinct difference between banning travel based on nationality and based on religion. The intent is obvious though.

A) If you had any interest in legitimate discussion rather than posting dank memes this post might have some merit;
B) Your mate is banning an entire religion from entering the United States and you think I'm the one who needs a 'safe space?'
I agree with your sentiment but this is incorrect. They are seven majority Muslim countries but there is a distinct difference between banning travel based on nationality and based on religion. The intent is obvious though.
Schulzenfest is not entirely correct, but on the right track. Trump's intent is purely focused on one religion, however only to the extent that the bans do not impact on his business interests. Which explains why the ban does not extend to countries like Saudi Arabia, UAE and Egypt, who actually have contributed to deaths on US soil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back