Opinion The Trump Presidency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah China have NoKo at the Go table because it helps them with their middle game, not quite end game, re Taiwan.

It’s a one off combo of Trump needing a perceived win having painted himself into a rhetorical corner, plus businesses all over now caving in left right and centre to Chinese pressure after a decade or more of rope a dope access to China’s markets, plus the weight of many small governments taking China’s development monies in exchange for votes and one by one switches of diplomatic status. That is all.

No ‘movement’ on Taiwan, no deal in NoKo. But they can’t do it so bluntly, obviously. It’ll be absorption by a thousand small swipes. And in the latest missive at airlines they were cynical enough to conflate “Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan” as if they were the same. Any glib international rejections get entrapped in the ‘evil former colonial power’ new Chinese nationalist narrative re the first two. It’s a brazen ignoring of history, but we’ve seen folks sucked in by far less subtle “untruthfulness strategies” in recent times, and the post-Tiananmen Chinese generation has grown up through an overtly nationalistic education system that was a reaction to that shock.

And what might a subtle movement on Taiwan look like, something that signals a change across the whole region while looking mostly like a “local” change? “Lessening” the US military presence in SoKo and Japan would be more than enough. Of course not so much of a US presence is needed there now that the threat of Rocket Man has been averted permanently. Sarcasm intended.

It was *Trump* who told everyone that, during the campaign when he bemoaned the cost of defending Korea and Japan and threatened to raise the price.

Unwittingly throwing a game and pretending you won a different one shouldn’t win anyone a peace prize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah China have NoKo at the Go table because it helps them with their middle game, not quite end game, re Taiwan.

It’s a one off combo of Trump needing a perceived win having painted himself into a rhetorical corner, plus businesses all over now caving in left right and centre to Chinese pressure after a decade or more of rope a dope access to China’s markets, plus the weight of many small governments taking China’s development monies in exchange for votes and one by one switches of diplomatic status. That is all.

No ‘movement’ on Taiwan, no deal in NoKo. But they can’t do it so bluntly, obviously. It’ll be absorption by a thousand small swipes. And in the latest missive at airlines they were cynical enough to conflate “Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan” as if they were the same. Any glib international rejections get entrapped in the ‘evil former colonial power’ new Chinese nationalist narrative re the first two. It’s a brazen ignoring of history, but we’ve seen folks sucked in by far less subtle “untruthfulness strategies” in recent times, and the post-Tiananmen Chinese generation has grown up through an overtly nationalistic education system that was a reaction to that shock.

And what might a subtle movement on Taiwan look like, something that signals a change across the whole region while looking mostly like a “local” change? “Lessening” the US military presence in SoKo and Japan would be more than enough. Of course not so much of a US presence is needed there now that the threat of Rocket Man has been averted permanently. Sarcasm intended.

It was *Trump* who told everyone that, during the campaign when he bemoaned the cost of defending Korea and Japan and threatened to raise the price.

Unwittingly throwing a game and pretending you won a different one shouldn’t win anyone a peace prize.

Wow.. viewing the world through a narrow prism there. Trump isn't the one who painted himself into a corner, it's you guys with TDS that think he was the cause of all of this, completely ignoring the guy lobbing grenades into your neighbours front yard and blaming your neighbour for it and holding them responsible. Kim has been forced to the table because he's going to run out of cash, Trumps added more sanctions, stood up to his rhetoric and missile launching and stared him straight down as well as pushing the Chinese to help out. It will be the same with Iran, he's already starting to dig his feet in it's just up to when he chooses to stay put before they are forced to the table or completely isolated again. It's the leadership he promised on these places for about 20 years and he is following through on what he'd do, when you have the South Korean president etc saying you have to give Trump credit then maybe you do. Will he fix Sth Korea, Nth Korea.. hmmm it's all still doubtful anytime soon but I think at worst he'll leave Kim without the ability to develop anymore weapons due to no money and an actual enforcement of shipping bans etc. Shaming the Chinese publicly about the illegal oil supplying etc was refreshing and it showed again he is on Kim's ass. So maybe Kim goes the long game and tries to survive to outlast a potential new president in 4 years, or in another 18months he is left with no choice but to come to the party.

He has also made it clear that you can be amicable with another country whilst still negotiating trade deals, China and his admin have been going back and forth posturing over trade since he won yet the leader rolled the red carpet out when he visits because they have formed a good relationship and I think the realisation in the Chinese leadership that they finally have a serious player at the table. They also both know there's more than enough money being made between them to spread around which also helps, it's like the two rich guys from the muppets working out their fortunes.

The issue for people who hate Trump or suffer TDS is that the reality of Trump isn't matching the narrative and confected outrage so it's very difficult to square it away with your world view that you've been sold about him which was and still is bizarre anyway. There was no evidence of these behaviors before in a lifetime in public life yet suddenly he wants to be a dictator and everyone around the globe will hate him lol. Who'd have thought that a guy who'se gone through life getting along with pretty much everyone from everywhere (except Rosie), would to everyone's shock and horror continue to get along with almost everyone everywhere on the world stage. The Macron visit must have blown brains the other week lol.

Watch and see.

Folks in general are going well out of their way to get along with him. You do that for elephants. It’s the smart move. It doesn’t really tell you much about the elephant, until the elephant actually does something other than make loud noises.

Watch and see.

Folks in general are going well out of their way to get along with him. You do that for elephants. It’s the smart move. It doesn’t really tell you much about the elephant, until the elephant actually does something other than make loud noises.

What's the logic here? Are you saying that Trump hasn't done anything while in office? Are you saying it's a bad thing that everyone is going out of their way to be nice to Trump?

I'm trying to get the construct here. Trump's success is due to dumb luck, he's not really doing anything because he's too stupid and everyone is being nice to him because they don't want to upset the big baby? Is that it?

What's the logic here? Are you saying that Trump hasn't done anything while in office? Are you saying it's a bad thing that everyone is going out of their way to be nice to Trump?

I'm trying to get the construct here. Trump's success is due to dumb luck, he's not really doing anything because he's too stupid and everyone is being nice to him because they don't want to upset the big baby? Is that it?

It's the logical prison that the TDS people have locked themselves in, then they can write off everything down to this and continue on their merry deluded way.

Construct? Just description, opinion and prediction. A "construct" would be something like "Donald is succeeding because doing what he said he would do because announcements and because that one massive tax-'cut' bill with all the little riders in it". OK I'm being too gentle there. One person's "tax cut bill" construct is another person's "wealth-redistribution-upwards-and-wealthy-donor-reimbursement-for-services-rendered bill" reasoned opinion.

No, he's not one dimensionally "stupid". He knows which side his bread is buttered on and he certainly knows a sucker when he sees one.

Geopolitically on the other hand... so I deliberately chose 'elephant', not some overt insult. Elephants are smart, but more important most of the time to most folks near them is to remain alert to what the elephant might do when it's being upset, not what it might do when being smart. Korea is near in the sense of more than superficial links and alignments, at a couple of levels. Korea in a sense is caught in-between two elephants, but Donald is posturing to his domestic audience like he's the only one. He knows a sucker when he sees one. And the other elephant is watching and waiting patiently. All of which is bloody obvious in that part of the world.

---

Iran on the other hand is not "near" the US in my sense, and can afford to behave more independently. Yesterday I hadn't read of the change in US policy. On one level it seems faux-tough, the sort of **** we sometimes hear from parts of our football club, see straight through in that context and complain bitterly about here. You'd hope the Iranians are smart enough not to over-react and keep their own **** in line. For show they need to sound pissed, in practice how annoying are US-only sanctions really? Not sure how many "quick-freeze" assets Iran has left in the US. Apart from that unknown the raw numbers below don't show much US leverage to me, but loads of potential upside(s) for China, Putin, so help me that bloody stealth Islamist Erdogan in Turkey and remnant Sunni extremist elements leftover in Syria/Iraq. And plenty of angst for the EU ... and for the bloody Kurds, still looking for a reliable ally 100 years after Sykes-Picot.

I've always thought Obama made a massive error on Syria, aided and abetted by poor CIA advice, trying to 'enable a winner' out of 'less extreme' (quotes for disgust) Sunni groups who were too small to ever win that conflict, somehow hoping to thread Iran and Russia out. Too clever by half.

On the other hand Global sanctions on and a global nuke deal with Iran were just sufficient to ease tensions on that issue. It gave 'moderates' (quotes for 'so-called') in Iran a solid win over hard liners. Unilaterally walking away from that is just so Donald. Smart move in your construct, or "the action of an 'upset' elephant" as per my reasoned opinion? Principled 'action' (quotes for sarcasm), or posturing?

iran-oil-export-destinations-data.png

If you're going to claim your opinion is reasoned, at least provide the reason. Why is Trump the 'upset elephant' in withdrawing the US from the Iran nuclear deal? What has upset Trump or made him angry?

Also, why would you assume I think withdrawing from the deal is smart? I predicted it, doesn't mean I agree with it.

By the by, the Iran regime is a lot closer to collapse than people think. Might even happen during Trump's time. The Iranian people are largely pro-US so will be interesting to see how it goes once Trump pulls out of the nuclear deal.

Just curious where you got this from? From most places I read it is the complete opposite.
Granted they had some protests a few months ago, but aside from that Iran seems to be gaining power. Granted that is just from its growing presence in the region, I don't know all that much about its internal situation

Just curious where you got this from? From most places I read it is the complete opposite.
Granted they had some protests a few months ago, but aside from that Iran seems to be gaining power. Granted that is just from its growing presence in the region, I don't know all that much about its internal situation

No single source, more a collation of bits n pieces over time.

There appears to be a growing disconnect between the Iranian people and the government. The revolution was in 1979 and enough time has passed to show that it hasn’t made things better. A street protest in Iran is a very big deal, especially given the iron grip the leadership has on power. The leaders are old, Khamenei is 78 and in declining health. The Iranian people are young and because we live in the era of internet, they can see how awesome Western life is and they want it for themselves. The money trail suggests Iran is more interested in spending money externally for regional influence - i.e. Lebanon & Syria. Internally, Iran’s persistent high inflation will cost them, especially if Trump is able to materially impact their economy. Iran has spent so much money on foreign issues that I’m guessing they can’t afford a war with say Israel (I’m also guessing Israel knows this). The nuclear deal secured the survival of the regime but now that Trump is withdrawing, things aren’t so certain. At some point, possibly very soon, the Iranian people’s desire for peace and prosperity will outweigh their fear of the regime. Just a matter of time.

So how about that NK shiz the msm was pushing, you know the one where Kim and Trump we're going to blow each other up.

So the new US Embassy in Jerusalem is officially open and 43 people are dead because of it. According to Trump and Netanyahu shifting the US Embassy from Tel Aviv was supposed to help world peace.

" The US extends a hand in friendship to Israel, the Palestinians, and all of their neighbors" and remains "fully committed to facilitating a lasting peace agreement" between them.

43 dead and 1,600 injured suggests this one peace initiative that is not working. The worrying thing is somewhere in the world some religious idiot has been spurred into planning a reprisal and the US will likely be the target. Hopefully the damage can be contained.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you wanted evidence Trump is a racist look at his attacks on black nfl players.

Not that it matters that he is a racist, misogynist piece of s**t. It’s more important that he is a fascist, who keeps himself consistently in the headlines by doing dumber things every day.

Also that “liberals think they are smart” article is just trash dude. The left quite frankly couldn’t care less about offending trump supporters aka the people who actually believe the deep state is working against trump, and actually believe the bullshit that spews from his mouth.

You are also talking about the extreme left not welcoming the right. OK so the left are being a bit mean to a group who are literally anti-free speech, love capitalists crashing the economy, reinforce institutionalised racism, and at the extreme openly call for genetic cleansing. Big whoop!

It is also completely valid to call someone a racist in America when they actively attempt to silence movements that oppose police brutality against black Americans, along with prison sentences that literally target the black population and effectively use them for slave labour.

Racism isn’t a bunch of people calling for genocide, it’s the active or passive reinforcement of an institution that suppresses people due to the colour of their skin.

The progressive movement in America will leave the red hats behind because it has to. Democracy only requires 50% of the population to vote correctly so why waste energy on a minority that don’t want to listen to you anyway. The energy is better spent unifying the left behind progressive candidates, pushing to remove money from politics, and fighting inequality.

This has zip to do with the Trump presidency, but as an owner of a number of older cars I regularly order parts from a company called Rimmer Bros in the UK.
In something like 5 years and more than 10 orders I have never had an error on any part they have sent me, their turn around times have been sensational, ie an average of 5-7 working days for delivery from the time I place the order, and their pricing is about 40% of the same item ( inc freight ) for anything sourced locally.

They have now apparently opened an office in the US.
I got an email from their US operation this morning addressed to someone I have never heard of, and who lives in Connecticut.
The email reads, Dear Mr C***** your order for 5 chrome wire wheels, 2 LH, 2 RH 2 eared centre caps, 2 LH, 2 RH hub splines, etc etc etc have been despatched.

Obviously the parts aren't going to turn up in little old Adelaide, but oh those yankees. :rolleyes:

"Black Lives Matter started with a Black Democrat in the White House and a Democrat government and nothing has happened for us" - Hawk Newsome

Last edited:
You do realise Candace Owens is literally just pretending to be conservative for money right?

Also of course corporate democrats haven't done s**t for black people, Bill Clinton introduced no-parole sentences FFS.

Conservatives OTOH literally want African Americans to work as slaves within the prison system, actively work to prevent them from voting, deliberately pumped the country full of crack and introduced mandatory minimum sentences under Nixon to directly target the black population. And apparently they want to bring this back!

"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did" - https://harpers.org/archive/2016/04/legalize-it-all/

Trump now attempts to silence black NFL protests by calling them un-american and suggesting they should even be shipped out of the country.

"You have to stand proudly for the National Anthem. You shouldn't be playing, you shouldn't be there. Maybe they shouldn't be in the country...the NFL owners did the right thing"

A blatant attack on free-speech by the president.

I mean this stuff isn't bloody difficult, but unfortunately some people are attracted to these ridiculous conservative movements rather than left progressives who stand up for racism, free-speech, a democracy free of corporate money and the working class.

FFS This s**t actually really pisses me off. IT IS IN FRONT OF YOUR ******* EYES MATE

You do realise Candace Owens is literally just pretending to be conservative for money right?

Also of course corporate democrats haven't done s**t for black people, Bill Clinton introduced no-parole sentences FFS.

Conservatives OTOH literally want African Americans to work as slaves within the prison system, actively work to prevent them from voting, deliberately pumped the country full of crack and introduced mandatory minimum sentences under Nixon to directly target the black population. And apparently they want to bring this back!

"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did" - https://harpers.org/archive/2016/04/legalize-it-all/

Trump now attempts to silence black NFL protests by calling them un-american and suggesting they should even be shipped out of the country.

"You have to stand proudly for the National Anthem. You shouldn't be playing, you shouldn't be there. Maybe they shouldn't be in the country...the NFL owners did the right thing"

I mean this stuff isn't bloody difficult, but unfortunately some people are attracted to these ridiculous conservative movements rather than left progressives who stand up for racism, free-speech, a democracy free of corporate money and the working class.

FFS This s**t actually really pisses me off. IT IS IN FRONT OF YOUR ******* EYES MATE
your so blind, you just dont get it

Bahahhaha surely this is a gag post

Firstly, before I respond to your points, I want you to know that I will happily agree with you if you can give me a convincing argument. I'm not aiming to sway your opinion. Believe whatever you want to believe.

You do realise the most prominent Democrats are multi-millionaires?

It's fine to question Candace's motives but geez pick a better criticism. In any case, when the criticisms are aimed at the person and not their argument, it means their argument is generally sound. You always argue on merit first and foremost. This is the world of politics though, so it's ok to play the man and not the ball. After all, it's only racist if a white Republican attacks a black Democrat right? That said, Candace is a young black female conservative and what she is saying has obviously struck a chord with enough people to get her on the national stage. Good on her. If she's true to her word, she'll bring the sort of change that improves the lives of African Americans.

Yes, Bill Clinton's policies here ultimately did a massive disservice to the black community.

You're going to have to show me some evidence of current day conservatives acting as you allege. In any case, it's a big stretch to connect the actions of the Nixon administration in the 60s with modern day Republicans. In fact, I'm sure many would actively distance themselves from the Nixon era. I see the Trump administration actively pursuing prison reform and opening a pathway to legalise marijuana by deferring to the individual states. Trump just recently pardoned Alice Johnson, a victim of Clinton era prison legislation. There are precisely zero reasons to legalise heroin, irrespective of its original illegality being rooted in racism.

NFL players and the NFL made the mistake of thinking they could take on Trump at politics and they lost. Trump has just as much of a right to free speech as the players. Where the NFL and the NFL players miscalculated was that US citizens are deeply patriotic and will always stand for the anthem, especially when war veterans are brought into the argument. You really don't want to be on the opposite side of the US flag in an argument in the US, you'll lose every time. Trump has now come out and said that he'll pardon any victim of the justice system the NFL players name so there really isn't any further need to kneel.

Yeah it isn't difficult. The black community is slowly realising that if they swing voted, instead of constantly voting Democrat, they would collectively be better off than they are now. No matter, the Trump administration has done much more for the black community than anti-Trumpers can stomach, and the black vote will likely continue to drift towards Trump thanks to the Candace and Kanye effect. Israel loves Trump.

Republicans are the biggest proponents of free speech, this shouldn't even be up for debate. An excellent example of this was seen at a Trump rally where the leaders allowed Hawk Newsome of Black Lives Matter (an opposing rally) to speak. It was a beautiful speech and everyone realised that they all wanted the same thing. Black Lives Matter's goals was consistent with Republican beliefs. That is a big deal.

Everyone wants a democracy free from corporate money. I think it's fair to say though that neither side is clean in this regard.

The working class voted for Trump and he has delivered for them. Their vote won't be changing any time soon.

The left progressives need a point of difference that's real and not in fantasy land, otherwise they'll continue lose elections.

6903eca80cc360560dd87acb76b5a511

https://www.news.com.au/world/north...l/news-story/41b11fa4a3efa071b1a848694c432a78

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Make up your own caption.:D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back