Review The Umpire 'Kimmi' Schmitt

Remove this Banner Ad

I wasn't at the game and the Firrito free kick is the only bit of footage I have seen. In the rules it states nothing about players being under pressure or prior opportunity. However all year the umpires have been saying that the player was under pressure so it's a point. Then all of a sudden one umpire takes the view that I am going to be boss and goes outside of this.
It's about time the umpires pay what they see not what they think. As Sam Newman has been saying for years they are there to make decisions not to be the stars.
The rules committee needs to be gotten rid of as they add no value just confusion. The five meter rule is a joke and probably contributed to the Swans losing the other night.
What used to be a great game has been hijacked.

I wasn't at the game and the Firrito free kick is the only bit of footage I have seen. In the rules it states nothing about players being under pressure or prior opportunity. However all year the umpires have been saying that the player was under pressure so it's a point. Then all of a sudden one umpire takes the view that I am going to be boss and goes outside of this.
It's about time the umpires pay what they see not what they think. As Sam Newman has been saying for years they are there to make decisions not to be the stars.
The rules committee needs to be gotten rid of as they add no value just confusion. The five meter rule is a joke and probably contributed to the Swans losing the other night.
What used to be a great game has been hijacked.

greater confusion equals less mistakes,

identified as mistakes. :)

There is no such thing as "prior opportunity" when calling a deliberate behind, it is not part of the rule and should not factor in the judgement.

Last edited:
From the AFL laws of the game 2016:

The following Laws have been amended or added,
effective from season 2016:

None of these laws are to do with Rushed behinds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are kidding your self if you thought that flog Kennedy would come out and say "the umpire made a bad decision" they ******* hate us they don't give a s**t.
I wanna see what happens if someone from Sydney does it * all rushed through under pressure lmao

There is no such thing as "prior opportunity" when calling a deliberate behind, it is not part of the rule and should not factor in the judgement.

"The umpire thought Michael had an opportunity to dispose of the ball".

"those Two particular factors"

Sounds pretty clear to me.

From the AFL laws of the game 2016:

The following Laws have been amended or added,
effective from season 2016:

None of these laws are to do with Rushed behinds.

They don't amend a law when one already exists. They just explain what is expected under the law. A lot like deliberate out of bounds. Same rule, different interpretation.

Which of the above covers the "no frees to Linsday law change'?

"The umpire thought Michael had an opportunity to dispose of the ball".

"those Two particular factors"

Sounds pretty clear to me.
Quite striking there was no reference to the relevant laws, just talking about what the umpire thought. To be honest, I thought Hayden look unconvinced by the whole thing.

Too bad they're not called out on this by the media. Also the other explanations and interpretations I heard today on SEN,there's nothing in the rule about how far you handball it ,how high you handball it, whether there are teammates nearby etc, you only have to be under pressure and I'm pretty sure that being tackled means you're under pressure.

"He's got a lot of time and space. He's probably three to four metres away, and has an opportunity to dispose of it prior; he draws the pressure, then takes the ball over the goal line," the umpires boss said.

The above is Haydn Kennedy 8 weeks ago when explaining that the clubs were informed of what constitutes deliberate.

So no, not a written law. However it fits with what the umpires and clubs were told about how the rule should be interpreted.

With all the horrible decisions against us in this game, I'm truly staggered that this is the poster child for whining.

Nat Edwards wants to be careful, she made some very pertinent points in that video, AFL house wont be happy, she gave Firrito an out which Hayden begrudgingly agreed and then took a little swipe at 'good bloke' Hodge.

Quite striking there was no reference to the relevant laws, just talking about what the umpire thought. To be honest, I thought Hayden look unconvinced by the whole thing.
They made up a reason to justify the free, they do it all the time.

"He's got a lot of time and space. He's probably three to four metres away, and has an opportunity to dispose of it prior; he draws the pressure, then takes the ball over the goal line," the umpires boss said.

The above is Haydn Kennedy 8 weeks ago when explaining that the clubs were informed of what constitutes deliberate.

So no, not a written law. However it fits with what the umpires and clubs were told about how the rule should be interpreted.

With all the horrible decisions against us in this game, I'm truly staggered that this is the poster child for whining.
It's more about consistency. Prior opportunity, Distance from goal, force of handball had nothing to do with the rule at the start of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back