Review The Umpire 'Kimmi' Schmitt

Remove this Banner Ad

There was actually 2, there was that one from 25m out and another * player soccered it through from the top of the goalsquare.

I await the 'all clear' on the decision which will be proof we are treated differently to other teams. And these ******* moan about Scott questioning their integrity.

The second one was from about the Spud Firrito zone and the commentators noted that it was a pretty safe bet that if you could get away with the one from 25 metres out, you wouldn't be pinged for the second one. I was waiting for a mention of how stiff Spud had been but nothing.

One of them observed that the AFL has got a lot of explaining to do because nobody knows what the interpretation is now.

Another nice mess the umpires have got us into. Less prancing and preening and more commonsense required.

I saw this bump and thought Kimmi had already been given the Sydney gig nek ...weekend

Not really a bump Gaso. It's a valid continuation of the discussion about Kimmi's decision against Spud.

By the way, I thought Kimmis decision was reasonable from where I sat on the night because of the distance Spud was from goal. He was front on to me and I thought he was about 20 metres out. I thought he could have handballed it anywhere.

What would I know after today's effort by those three buffoons? The officiating dick and the two dicks who decided not to "overrule". I thought they loved dashing in and making themselves the centre of attention. Again what would I know about umpiring?

Not really a bump Gaso. It's a valid continuation of the discussion about Kimmi's decision against Spud.

By the way, I thought Kimmis decision was reasonable from where I sat on the night because of the distance Spud was from goal. He was front on to me and I thought he was about 20 metres out. I thought he could have handballed it anywhere.

What would I know after today's effort by those three buffoons? The officiating dick and the two dicks who decided not to "overrule". I thought they loved dashing in and making themselves the centre of attention. Again what would I know about umpiring?

I mean bump in that it hasn't been on page 1 for a while.

From the AFL website today:

TWO POSSIBLE deliberately rushed behind calls that were not paid have angered Gold Coast coach Rodney Eade after the Suns' six-point loss to bottom-placed Essendon.

Irishman Conor McKenna soccered one through from well outside the goalsquare despite appearing to be under little pressure midway through the last quarter, ands Martin Gleeson rushed one through soon afterwards, also a long way from the goal line.

Eade could not fathom how the umpires did not decide in Gold Coast's favour.

"I thought two of them were definite free kicks. I don't know why they weren't paid," he said after the game.

Watch Rodney Eade's full media conference

"The first one was from nearly 20m away. I don't know how that's missed, to be honest. The next one's probably borderline. There probably wasn't enough pressure (to legally rush it through).

"We got clarity on that (from the AFL earlier this year), and I thought it was pretty clear. So that, to me, was black and white."

The controversial rule came under scrutiny about a month ago after North Melbourne's Michael Firrito was penalised for handballing a behind from inside the goalsquare, despite being tackled by Port Adelaide's Charlie Dixon.

Umpires coach Hayden Kennedy said that decision was correct, but the AFL would later clarify the rule with the coaches.

Eade said his understanding of the rule was that if the ball was rushed through from outside the goalsquare, the team in defence would concede a free kick.

"That was the indication we got. The first one, as I said, (was) 20m away, and the next one was borderline, was just outside it as well, with not a lot of pressure," he said.

"(We'll) certainly be seeking some clarity on that."

They make s**t up on the run Mr R. Watch Hayden Kennedy justify it as "by goal square we mean a quadrilateral area of ground proportionate to the size of the player disposing of the ball. The decision was correct."

No mention of the Spud decision. Too embarrassing probably. They went to a decision involving Eric MacKenzie for comparisons.

The funniest part is Kennedy saying the umpire gave the Essendon player "the benefit of the doubt." There was NO DOUBT *******!

And Hayden makes no mention of the other two officiating morons. They must have been admiring themselves on the big screen when it happened. They couldn't say "unsighted" because it happened right out in the open for all to see. Stevie Wonder would have seen it and paid it deliberate.

From AFL.com: THE AFL umpires department has agreed with Gold Coast coach Rodney Eade that the Suns should have been paid a deliberate rushed behind free kick in the final term of Sunday's six-point loss to Essendon.

Eade was bemused that young Bomber Conor McKenna wasn't penalised after soccering the ball through for a behind from around 20 metres out.

Umpires head coach Hayden Kennedy compared the incident to when West Coast's Eric MacKenzie went unpunished in round eight, and said the umpire realised he had got the decision wrong.

Kennedy said he had made contact with Eade to discuss his concerns.

"We needed to pay a deliberate rushed behind in that instance," Kennedy told AFL.com.au's Whistleblowers program.

"If you compare it to Eric's, the distance was similar (and) the pressure was similar.

"We've clearly said to our umpires if we see this action from this distance it needs to paid as a deliberate rushed behind.

"Our umpire in that particular case weighed it all up and he gave the defender the benefit of the doubt in that instance."

Kennedy was "comfortable" with a similar incident minutes later involving Bomber Marty Gleeson because the rushed behind was "much closer to the goalline."
[This one was similar to the Spud one pressure-wise. Unlike Spud's the call was "behind all clear".]

It's a ****in s**t rule that should be given the arse.

Correct. It was originally introduced after the 2008 GF when that bloke with the rug (forgotten his name) from Hawthorn (and previously the Saints and Freo) played on from a kick in after a behind then handballed through for another behind. If I'm not mistaken the tigers used that tactic a bit back then. It should only apply in those circumstances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Early week bump was on the money!

Oh boy, here we go "Kimmi" alert

UMPIRES:
  • Jordan Bannister (5),
  • Justin Schmitt (17),
  • Simon Meredith (21),
  • Emergency: Nick Foot (2)
View attachment 278361

You know Kimmi can ***** ***** the ***** ******* ***** **** fool.

Early week bump was on the money!

Oh boy, here we go "Kimmi" alert

UMPIRES:
  • Jordan Bannister (5),
  • Justin Schmitt (17),
  • Simon Meredith (21),
  • Emergency: Nick Foot (2)
View attachment 278361

It's not just Schmitt we have to worry about. Simon Meredith's a lifelong Swans fan. I've known the family since well before he was born as his old man went to school and played footy with my old man. Not that it SHOULD influence his decision making of course. :drunk:

It's not just Schmitt we have to worry about. Simon Meredith's a lifelong Swans fan. I've known the family since well before he was born as his old man went to school and played footy with my old man. Not that it SHOULD influence his decision making of course. :drunk:

Should be an interesting afternoon, TT.

"Interesting" is not exactly the word I would choose when it comes to Sch(m)itt.
who can forget the game where Drew marked 20 metres out with a minute to play, despite Grundy being all over him like a cheap suit.......and Schmitt paid a free to Grundy because Drew had somehow been holding him, while extending his hands forward for the Sherrin?

His old man went to the same school as yourself of course Mr R.

Must have been there at a different time TT. We wouldn't have had many Swans supporters. Mostly barracked for northern and western suburbs teams. Definitely no Hawthorn supporters.

who can forget the game where Drew marked 20 metres out with a minute to play, despite Grundy being all over him like a cheap suit.......and Schmitt paid a free to Grundy because Drew had somehow been holding him, while extending his hands forward for the Sherrin?

That one still " s**ts " me Jacko. Right under us about 45m out Lockett end.
Drew had his arms out and took the grab in front of Grundy. Somehow Grundy managed from behind to stick his neck into Drews armpit while he took the mark. Got paid for " high contact ". I've never heard such foul language out of my mouth at the football and apologised to all around me. But l don't think anybody heard me anyway.

A forerunner to his "brave" decision against Spud against Port. Drew and the other talls can expect more cheap suit treatment tomorrow as well as another Swans speciality which rarely gets penalised - the dangerous practice of tunnelling the marking player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back