Analysis The umpires know where their bread is buttered

Remove this Banner Ad

Lockdowns incoming in Australia, too, to go along with England already there.

What odds would give me the military is called in within, say, a month?

The military was called in just weeks ago in Australia for the bushfires!

OMG democracy is ded.

Danger runs through the Coles centre circle, handballs to Ablett on the NAB wing who kicks to the Telstra 50 meter line. Duncan collects the St George footy and snaps to the Rebel goal square. Hawkins marks and kicks truly past the Toyota Tyres goal posts and into the Virgin fence. Oh What a Feeling! Lets go to an add break.

Last edited:
That is because they were replayed on TV and you notice any little indiscretion. In normal play most don't get noticed. The umps paid something like 8 frees resulting in goals on Thursday night to Carlton. The highlight was when Edwards was barrelled into by Casboult and grabbed a handful of his jumper as balance before he hit the ground and the ump paid a free for holding the man. Absolute nonsense and showed no common sense.

Don't get me started on the 50m. Edwards kicks the first from Dow running a bit close not affecting Edwards at all and 50m. Okay technically 50m but the ump's usually give a very generous 50m. In the SANFL I think it is closer to 35m, and is usually a much fairer penalty for often minor infringements.
25 Metres is the standard penalty in the SANFL

The feel for the game is a nonsense argument.

The reason the rule was introduced was to stop teams deliberately holding up play by loitering to the side which would stop players from quickly moving the ball on.

Umpires need to be given black and white rules to interpret. So it is pretty simple, don’t run past a player who has taken a mark.

The penalty is harsh, but coaches should drum it into players to ensure they run around the mark not continue.

Coaches and good players are smart to focus on things like that...if they want to

Don't try to defend a really s**t rule, it's nearly worse than the rule itself.

Some clown on the rules committee came up with that rubbish to justify their existence on the committee. It's stupid, unnecessary & totally counter-productive to the game.

The sooner that rule gets eliminated the better.

Need to do away with the protected zone 50m, just make it only if you affect the kick deliberately it's 50 (just like going over the mark) or if you make no effort to move out you can't tackle the player if he plays on, bit like in rugby/touch you're out of play until you get back to your line.

50m should be for dangerous and careless acts such as late 'attempted" spoils or genuine time wasting. The idea that you can run 5m past a player not even looking at them and they play on the other way anyway and that's 50 is ******* ludicrous and I cannot believe anyone at AFL house does not see this. Happy to give the kicker room but it does not need to be a 50 for infringing in such a harmless manner. Shittest rule ever invented. ******* morons.

Don't try to defend a really s**t rule, it's nearly worse than the rule itself.

Some clown on the rules committee came up with that rubbish to justify their existence on the committee. It's stupid, unnecessary & totally counter-productive to the game.

The sooner that rule gets eliminated the better.
The rule is fine.

It was brought in to stop teams proactively delaying the transition of the ball, and giving teams more time to set up zone defensive structures.

It was a tactic being used by many coaches and teams.

The odd 50m penalty for a player stupidly thinking they can run alongside a player who has taken a Mark is hardly the end of the world.

As usual most people only ever focus on one or two instances, and ignore the entire premise of why the rule was brought in.

Mayne was pinged for it in the Pies game, and it gave Dogs a goal....some fans decide to whinge and squeal at the umps, when the real problem was Mayne.

Need to do away with the protected zone 50m, just make it only if you affect the kick deliberately it's 50 (just like going over the mark) or if you make no effort to move out you can't tackle the player if he plays on, bit like in rugby/touch you're out of play until you get back to your line.

50m should be for dangerous and careless acts such as late 'attempted" spoils or genuine time wasting. The idea that you can run 5m past a player not even looking at them and they play on the other way anyway and that's 50 is ******* ludicrous and I cannot believe anyone at AFL house does not see this. Happy to give the kicker room but it does not need to be a 50 for infringing in such a harmless manner. Shittest rule ever invented. ******* morons.
And 90% of the 50's look way more than 50m to make it even worse. If they erred on the side of caution and went 45m I wouldn't mind so much but the umps seem to love the theatre.

And 90% of the 50's look way more than 50m to make it even worse. If they erred on the side of caution and went 45m I wouldn't mind so much but the umps seem to love the theatre.
Indeed they do look more than 50m. My only fear is that if it changed to 25m it may be used as a tactic by coaches to slow the play down by coaches. Especially in the defensive half. Does happen occasionally in the SANFL.

The inconsistency on the deliberate out of bounds rule is something that annoys me as well.

Indeed they do look more than 50m. My only fear is that if it changed to 25m it may be used as a tactic by coaches to slow the play down by coaches. Especially in the defensive half. Does happen occasionally in the SANFL.

The inconsistency on the deliberate out of bounds rule is something that annoys me as well.
I'd be happy with 35m, which means at least 40m with umpires enthusiasm adjustment, just not 60m as is almost the norm now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back