Umpiring The Umpiring Dissent Rule - Discuss Here

Do you agree with the zero tolerance on umpire abuse?

• Yes, abuse has going on for far too long and zero tolerance is the way

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • Yes I’m for a stronger line but not 50 metre penalties unless it’s serious abuse

Votes: 73 26.1%
  • Not really, we have rules in place already about umpire contact and abuse, leave it as is.

Votes: 101 36.1%
  • No, it’s an emotional game and players need to let it out.

Votes: 30 10.7%
  • Boooooooo, maggots

Votes: 29 10.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This is going to be a hot topic this year, running discussion and videos in here.
Looks like that wasn't against Petracca anyway?

This is going to be a hot topic this year, running discussion and videos in here.

I'm amazed there isn't more backlash about this. You cannot take emotion out of a high stress environment like a fierce, 2 hour contact sport!
If it isn't demonstrative towards the umpire specifically it MUST be ignored.

This was only in a practice game also. What happens in a cut throat final when scores are tight deep in the last quarter? How can anybody expect human beings in a moment identical to the Petracca example (whether it was against him or not) to simply stand up and not react whatsoever? It's absurd.

I'm amazed there isn't more backlash about this. You cannot take emotion out of a high stress environment like a fierce, 2 hour contact sport!

This was only in a practice game also. What happens in a cut throat final when scores are tight deep in the last quarter? How can anybody expect human beings in a moment identical to the Petracca example (whether it was against him or not) to simply stand up and not react whatsoever? It's absurd.
The AFL are doing their best to stamp out individuality in the players, and now they're doing their best to stamp out any emotion shown on field.
They seem desperate to have robots represent the sport. No feeling, no caring. Boring robots that answer questions from the AFL's Big Book Of Cliches.

Not to say umpires should be abused, they shouldn't. But they've always had the ability to pay a 50 meter penalty for real abuse, so why does the AFL need to enforce this bullshit interpretation?

More free kicks isn't good for the sport. More 50 meter penalties isn't good for the sport.
No one goes to the footy to watch 100 free kicks given out between two teams. We don't need it.

As an aside, maybe there would be less anger and abuse against campaignerpires if there was a legitimate avenue to appeal a wrong decision?

IE: Gawn's goal in the 2021 Toyota AFL Grand Final Premiership Match, didn't even go to score review.
If an umpire awards a player a shot on goal from a free or a mark and a defender believes they were infringed upon the umpire should look at the replay.

Maybe the AFL should stop over complicating the rules and the way the game is umpired.

Each year they add new frustrating rules and wonder why players and fans rightly/wrongly get frustrated with the umpires

Take away a lot of the interpretation of the rules and officiating and maybe umpire abuse will regress!

Razor licking his lips with these new rules. More camera time!!

Seriously though, umpiring is an utter shambles at times. Partly because they're hopeless, partly because mistakes happen, and partly because the AFL make it so bloody difficult to officiate. Players should be allowed to be frustrated ffs

Seriously the biggest cowboy league in world sport run by morons but we love it so it continues, and will do forever...

Abuse is defined as causing harm or causing distress i would say 99% of AFL players do not abuse umpires, an odd cuss word or throwing your arms in the air is not abuse.

You wanna see umpire abuse go to a local game.
I suppose this is why they are taking a zero tolerance policy in the AFL. They don't want the players to be undermining the umpires decision publically because that filters down to lower leagues and juniors where players take it further cause there aren't 10 cameras on them.

And this whole personality debate is hilarious. Look at NFL where a referees decision is very rarely disputed, and I would argue a huge number of personalities come from that sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's when the umps put their whistles away, so we know the answer to that.

Abuse is defined as causing harm or causing distress i would say 99% of AFL players do not abuse umpires, an odd cuss word or throwing your arms in the air is not abuse.

You wanna see umpire abuse go to a local game.

This year I've given away umpiring after about 40 years of it. Each year the abuse and whinging gets worse and on top of that, we've been given some hefty pay cuts. Nothing enjoyable about it any more.

Not for this little black duck any more. Someone else can put up with that crap.

Emotion does not equal abuse or aggressive verbal remonstration and gestures.
The penalties will only affect teams until the players learn to control themselves, then it will be back to normal.
Melbourne just seemed very undisciplined in general last night. Good for them to get it out of the way now in a preseason game.
They just kept making the same infringements despite getting penalised for them. Has a team broken the 6-6-6 rule three times in one match?
They'll be fine and will be right in the hunt for the flag again, but they need to adjust their approach. I'm sure Goodwin addressed it after the game.

Are players still considered to be normal human beings? If a player feels hard done by they have a natural reaction. If the reaction crosses the line the umpire pays a 50. There was absolutely nothing wrong with how it has always been officiated.

The AFL is physically incapable of just sitting tight and not making unnecessary changes to the detriment of the game.

This year I've given away umpiring after about 40 years of it. Each year the abuse and whinging gets worse and on top of that, we've been given some hefty pay cuts. Nothing enjoyable about it any more.

Not for this little black duck any more. Someone else can put up with that crap.
Umpire numbers are alarmingly low at all levels.

This is a frustrating rule change that will rile everyone up but a stance just has to be made at the top level.

It will fade away mid season any way, these rules always do after the point has been made.

This is one we just have to live with for the greater good of the game going forward.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

The one against tomlinson was the most egregious, it didn't look like he even said a word. Dogs/lions game seemed to be much better so I reckon its 50% the players have worked it out and 50% the umpiring dept got a phonecall after Thurs night and were told to tighten it up

This is a frustrating rule change that will rile everyone up but a stance just has to be made at the top level.

It will fade away mid season any way, these rules always do after the point has been made.

This is one we just have to live with for the greater good of the game going forward.

Exactly. Anyone who complains about this feel free to go down to your local umpire group, sign up, build the numbers up so we don't need to send a message to hold onto umpires.

Pay them better instead of gutting the sport of any passion. Put more sponsors on the umpire kit or use the Maccas sponsorship to pay umps more.

Is the issue abuse from players or abuse from fans though? I worry that introducing yet another rule open to interpretation is going to lead to even more invective from the stands on contentious 50s.

Back