Umpiring The Umpiring Dissent Rule - Discuss Here

Do you agree with the zero tolerance on umpire abuse?

• Yes, abuse has going on for far too long and zero tolerance is the way

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • Yes I’m for a stronger line but not 50 metre penalties unless it’s serious abuse

Votes: 73 26.1%
  • Not really, we have rules in place already about umpire contact and abuse, leave it as is.

Votes: 101 36.1%
  • No, it’s an emotional game and players need to let it out.

Votes: 30 10.7%
  • Boooooooo, maggots

Votes: 29 10.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a fan of the media / AFL House / Umpiring Department gaslighting Cogs by saying he was badgering the umpire all game and suggesting an ‘accumulation factor’. Very disrespectful if BS. Would be genuinely pissed off with that if I was Cogs or GWS.

The silence from AFL House and the umpiring department is damning. AFL have a responsibility to Cogs to make sure his reputation isn’t being unjustly damaged. If they aren’t refuting it, then it’s either true or the AFL are neglecting their responsibilities to one of their players in favour of protecting a controversial umpiring decision. Not cool IMO. Players Association should give the AFL a tap on the shoulder.

As for the decision on face value, I agree with it. But umpires need to pay that free kick every time. If they want to remove all player dissent, that’s how you do it. None of this vague BS they’re peddling atm (emotional, in the moment, etc). As it currently stands, the AFL seems to want to get rid of abusive dissent but wants to keep passive aggressive/G-rated tantrums. It’s just weak. Cut the crap and state outright that players can’t say boo.

Not a fan of the media / AFL House / Umpiring Department gaslighting Cogs by saying he was badgering the umpire all game and suggesting an ‘accumulation factor’. Very disrespectful if BS. Would be genuinely pissed off with that if I was Cogs or GWS.

The silence from AFL House and the umpiring department is damning. AFL have a responsibility to Cogs to make sure his reputation isn’t being unjustly damaged. If they aren’t refuting it, then it’s either true or the AFL are neglecting their responsibilities to one of their players in favour of protecting a controversial umpiring decision. Not cool IMO. Players Association should give the AFL a tap on the shoulder.

As for the decision on face value, I agree with it. But umpires need to pay that free kick every time. If they want to remove all player dissent, that’s how you do it. None of this vague BS they’re peddling atm (emotional, in the moment, etc). As it currently stands, the AFL seems to want to get rid of abusive dissent but wants to keep passive aggressive/G-rated tantrums. It’s just weak. Cut the crap and state outright that players can’t say boo.

Cogs does have a history of back chatting umpires though, whether it was appropriate for the AFL Umpires department to single him like that in that pressure is probably inappropriate though I agree.

Ha! I had a possession free kick against me. For lying on top of the ball, when unconscious.
Ah, the ol' Matthew Kreuzer ploy.
every-time-60percent.gif

Cogs does have a history of back chatting umpires though, whether it was appropriate for the AFL Umpires department to single him like that in that pressure is probably inappropriate though I agree.
They’re never going to get this right Maynard after giving away a high free kick to Bailey? Demonstrated to the umpire the shrugging manoeuvre 4-5 times aka the Selwood the umpire just waved it off
His reaction was post decision which the afl said in their statement would be subject to 50m penalty
Will be interesting to see how it plays out over the remaining games

They’re never going to get this right Maynard after giving away a high free kick to Bailey? Demonstrated to the umpire the shrugging manoeuvre 4-5 times aka the Selwood the umpire just waved it off
His reaction was post decision which the afl said in their statement would be subject to 50m penalty
Will be interesting to see how it plays out over the remaining games

Unpopular Opinion, but I don’t think players from any club should be allowed to verbally abuse or remonstrate physically with any umpire over an controversial/Unpopular on field. In the Premier League, those kind of actions often lead to a yellow card sanction.

Umpire abuse has been strife at local/country football leagues for decades, so the rationale is sound for me that the AFL wants to crack down on it at AFL level.

From watching the video of the replay multiple times.

McKay was tackled after the ball was disposed of (he was in the action of kicking and had thrown the ball up to kick). Literally 0.3 seconds after. Anyone asking for holding the man is ridiculous as this has never been paid (small forward used to handpass the ball just before they get tackled and claim holding the man which they stopped).

I have no idea why anyone is claiming prior is a factor. Everyone is saying it is incorrect disposal rule which doesn't care about prior (I argued with Stamos on Twitter about this to no avail. The man still clings to his holding the man rule and Prior actually mattering with Incorrect Disposal (which it doesn't)). From watching freo games, we've been pinged about 7+ times when our player drops the ball to kick it just after getting tackled and his foot misses the ball due to the tackle.

This is play on due to the fact that McKay was not tackled when he disposed of the ball. It was the correct decision from the various angles. Now the main thing is where was Cogs and which perspective did he see it from?

Looking at Cognolio in the footage - he can only see his teammate's back and sees the ball drop to the ground upon the tackle (not knowing it was disposed of prior to the tackle). He continues to play on because the ball is still in play and Motlop kicks a point. Cogs asks the umpire on why it wasn't a free kick after the point was kicked because he is in the centre of his own 50 and if he complains while the ball is in play and is wrong and they kick a goal. Oh boy, his coach would probs be mad as hell.

So Cogs asks why afterwards. This might explain why he asked it because from his POV. The tackle lands and then he sees the ball dropping down shortly afterwards (and he can see McKay going for a kick). From his perspective it lands slightly after his teammate lays the tackle so it seems to him its HTB hence why he asked.

Back